Melbourne Cup 2005

The race that stops a nation is at Flemington in the early hours of tomorrow morning, British time, as 24 horses go to post.

Here's the full field:

MAKYBE DIVA

VINNIE ROE

DISTINCTION

GREYS INN

FRANKLINS GARDENS

EYE POPPER

RAILINGS

XCELLENT

KINDJHAL

HUGS DANCER

DEMERGER

DIZELLE

LACHLAN RIVER

PORTLAND SINGA

VOUVRAY

ON A JEUNE

UMBULA

BAZELLE

ENVOY

RIZON

STRASBOURG

LEICA FALCON

MR CELEBRITY

KAMSKY

The Anglo-Irish challenge looks strong this year with Vinnie Roe running his last race before retirement and Goodwood Cup winner Distinction plus Franklin's Gardens, who suffered a late setback last week.

Vinnie Roe and Distinction certainly have the class to win if they can handle the conditions, but I'd just favour Distinction.

Ah, you beat me to it Arwebb. Of course I was going to start a thread on Australia's REAL (though unofficial) National Day, the Race That Stops The Nation, The First Tuesday In November, The Melbourne Cup!

You seem pretty knowledgable about the form. I, however, am like 90 per cent of Aussies who only follow horse racing on this one day of the year,. Sentimentally, it would be great to see Makybe Diva be the first horse to win three Cups (and I've won well with money on her in the past) but the tote odds are so low on her this year it's hardly worth the bet. Instead, I'm going on the sentimental bet of Eye Popper, to become the first Japanese horse and jockey to take the Fleimington Classic (having just returned, I'm still in a Japanese goodwill mode).

0,10114,5068752,00.jpg

The other side of the Cup is the fashion and celeb spotting aspect in the Marquees at Flemington. This year, our impirted celeb is Eva Longoria from Desperate Housewives. It'll be interesting to see if she will wear something that will make more of a fuss than Queer Eye's carson at last year's event.

eva_main.jpg

And it's ... Makybe Diva, a historic win for the mare, the first horse to win three Melbourne Cups in a row! She's now a rival to Phar Lap as Australia's greatest equine hero!

Oh, if only I'd had faith in her (and she'd payed more). I've won money on her in the past few cups, but turned my back on her today!

allsportmakybedivamelbournecup04.jpg

Archived