2018 Applicant Cities Draw Of Lots

IOC Executive Board meeting in Lausanne

The drawing of lots for the order of Applicant Cities for the 2018 Winter Games was conducted, with Munich (Germany) being drawn first, followed by Annecy (France) and Pyeonchang (South Korea).

The second phase of the bid process begins with the selection of the Candidate Cities by the IOC Executive Board from 21 to 23 June.

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Media/?a...articleId=75446

since the 2001 election the city who presented second to the last won the summer games bid

2008 - beijing (4 out of 5)

2012 - london (4 out of 5)

2016 - rio (3 out of 4)

since the 2003 election the city who presented first won the winter bid

2010 - vancouver (1 out of 3)

2014 - sochi (1 out of 3)

PC for the third time will be presenting 3rd.

• 1 month later...
PC for the third time will be presenting 3rd.

well, 3rd time's the charm as they say. I don't think PC will fail the 3rd time. Just as Rio won because it is virgin Olympic territory, Munich has already hosted a Summer Olympix and Garmisch has already hosted a WOG. Korea/PC has yet to host a WOG. Simple math.

well, 3rd time's the charm as they say. I don't think PC will fail the 3rd time. Just as Rio won because it is virgin Olympic territory, Munich has already hosted a Summer Olympix and Garmisch has already hosted a WOG. Korea/PC has yet to host a WOG. Simple math.

It's not just simple math... For winter games the continental rotation is not a law... And Stochi is not consider like Europeen city, it's another territory... The Sweden has already bid 4 times without victory and i think Sweden it's more legytim than Korea for Winter games

It's not just simple math... For winter games the continental rotation is not a law... And Stochi is not consider like Europeen city, it's another territory... The Sweden has already bid 4 times without victory and i think Sweden it's more legytim than Korea for Winter games

...and that's why you are not on the IOC.

It's all very well to say PC has rotation on its side. But it also had it on side for 2010 and 2014.

Really, I'd call it as a two-horse race between PC and Munich (sorry Annecy, I just can't see it happening).

Munich's by far my preferred bidder, but it does look like PC have been active early and to my mind have probably the early lead in campaigning. But this is waaaaaaayy too early to really set much store by at this stage. With well over a year to go, it's up for grabs still.

• 2 months later...

It's all very well to say PC has rotation on its side. But it also had it on side for 2010 and 2014.

Not really for 2010, on the heels of Beijing 2008. Granted, they're different Games season, but some say that was also another element of why New York failed for 2012 because of Vancouver.

And some go even further to say that's mainly why Vancouver won 2010 so it could further put Europe in a much better position for 2012 & make any North American candidate geographically hindered.

For 2014, the rotation was more on PC's side, but 2018 does definitely look like it's the best fit for rotation for Pyeong Chang.

Not really for 2010, on the heels of Beijing 2008. Granted, they're different Games season, but some say that was also another element of why New York failed for 2012 because of Vancouver.

1. And some go even further to say that's mainly why Vancouver won 2010 so it could further put Europe in a much better position for 2012 & make any North American candidate geographically hindered.

2. For 2014, the rotation was more on PC's side, but 2018 does definitely look like it's the best fit for rotation for Pyeong Chang.

1. Certainly that's a more devious spin to it.

2. Well, there's always a spoiler thrown in, and of course, it was Putin and Russian oil cash which I think PC didn't know how to counter.

1. Certainly that's a more devious spin to it.

Yeah, an IOC devious spin. It's something that Dick Pound talks about in his book "inside the Olympics", because a lot of the IOC members who don't come from Winter tradition sporting nations could care less of where the Winter Olympic Games actually go, especially if it means for a better position if one of their nations is/wants bidding for the next cycle.

Whatever happened to the saying, the first shall be last...

Chicago certainly followed this mantra.

not in the winter olympic voting. in the last 2 voting session, the first to present ended up in first after the votes conclusion.

• 2 months later...

The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will meet in Lausanne on 22 and 23 June 2010.

The IOC Executive Board will select the Candidate Cities for hosting the XXIII Olympic Winter Games in 2018 during its first day of meetings on 22 June. The current Applicant Cities are as follows: Munich (Germany), Annecy (France), and PyeongChang (Republic of Korea)

IOC

The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will meet in Lausanne on 22 and 23 June 2010.

The IOC Executive Board will select the Candidate Cities for hosting the XXIII Olympic Winter Games in 2018 during its first day of meetings on 22 June. The current Applicant Cities are as follows: Munich (Germany), Annecy (France), and PyeongChang (Republic of Korea)

IOC

That'll be a short agenda item.

Rogge: "Okay, are they all still in? Good. Then all are through"

IOC

Press conference to announce the Shortlist around 6pm/6:30pm Lausanne's time on the 22nd June 2010

Archived