FIFA Rotation Dead

Just as I thought _ rotation is dead and Blatter has finally explicitely said it is dead!

Here's an extract from the Sun-Herald newspaper in Sydney today:

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has given Australia the green light for a go-alone bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

Under FIFA's rotational system for World Cup hosting rights, Oceania was scheduled to host the tournament in 2018, a scenario that prompted talks of a joint bid by New Zealand and Australia.

However, Blatter told The Sun-Herald that FIFA's continental rotational policy will be axed after the 2014 tournament, giving Australia the chance to host the event in 2018 alone.

"The World Cup is a serious matter," Blatter said. "There will be good contenders for 2018.

"China will definitely make a bid because if they organise the Olympics then they will want the World Cup, but there is the same to be said for Australia. The rotation system only goes until 2014. The rotation was a political decision to ensure the World Cup went to Africa, otherwise Africa would never have it."

Blatter ruled out a joint venture for 2018, saying that since Australia had been ratified as an official member of the Asian Football Confederation, it could not co-host the tournament with another OFC country.

Blatter said he welcomed bids for 2018 from Asia and especially Australia. "If I am still alive in 2018, I will be retired and I look forward to watching the games in a famous stadium, maybe in Beijing or maybe Sydney," he said.

AFC president Mohamed bin Hammam also backed a potential Australian bid for 2018.

"Naturally, Australia is part of Asia and it would be my dream to see 2018 hosted in Asia," bin Hammam said.

Sun-Herald

It does seem that Blatter is backing Asia for 2018. I wouldn't rule out myself a return to Europe (I notice Blatter has been making similar statements about England 2018).

The rotation served its purpose.  FIFA wanted to go to Africa before the IOC did but they couldn't turn down a superior bid or a money maker to do it.  South Africa came close for 2006, but Germany has more stadia, more money, more sponsor potential, more backers and was centrally located around a huge soccer loving population in Europe.

I think FIFA threw the bones it did for 2010 and 2014 so that Africa would get an in and Latin and South America wouldn't bitch that they didn't get a chance.  I'm willing to wager that a South America vs. Africa bidding war could have unfolded for 2010 if FIFA didn't implement this action.

In a comparison, it would be like the IOC deciding it wanted to host the 2012 Olympics in Paris, but to curb the bids from London and New York, they dictated no bids from English speaking nations would be accepted.

The IOC isn't going to do what FIFA did.  I think the IOC has more to lose.  The World Cup is one sport spread out over a whole nation.  The Olympics are close to 30 sports concentrated in one city.  FIFA can take the risk in the name of developing the sport.  The IOC can't because even highly capable and prosperous cities and countries have faced challenges in organizing the Olympics.

Oh, well. Easy come, easy go. Makes me wonder if Africa will ever get to host another World Cup after 2010. Never mind the idea of "joint hosts", like 2002, is most likely dead as well.

Blatter just tends to shoot his mouth off.  No rotation but he designates where the wants he next one?  So if the Hatter has his way alone - '10 - Africa, '14 - So. America, '18 - Oceania -- then there is some sort of rotation.  Not the order I'd want to see, but there is obviously one working there.

Also, the Hatter might not have the Executive Board AND the sponsors with him on this.  WHo knows?  He may die of a heart attack in 2-3 years, too.

I'll repeat what roltel said:

I wouldn't rule out myself a return to Europe (I notice Blatter has been making similar statements about England 2018).

Blatter hasn't designated anything. He's said he'd welcome bids from Australia, England and China and that's hardly designation imho. The reason he has said he'd welcome them is becuase he knows these countries are preparing to mount bids already - saying anything else would be stupid.

I'm sure if the USA said "we're looking to host 2018" (I haven't heard anything from the US so far) Blatter would say the same sort of thing about your country.

He's being diplomatic and trying to keep everyone happy; as he should do so early on in the process.

I wouldn't rule out myself a return to Europe (I notice Blatter has been making similar statements about England 2018).

Blatter hasn't designated anything. He's said he'd welcome bids from Australia, England and China and that's hardly designation imho. The reason he has said he'd welcome them is becuase he knows these countries are preparing to mount bids already - saying anything else would be stupid.

I'm sure if the USA said "we're looking to host 2018" (I haven't heard anything from the US so far) Blatter would say the same sort of thing about your country.

He's being diplomatic and trying to keep everyone happy; as he should do so early on in the process.

you'll hear one in due time.  SoccerUSA is merely focusing its energies and resources in getting ready for '06.  Probably after that, all the FIFA schmoozing in Germany, and how the Olympic bids for '16 line up, will a more honed US position on 2018 come out.  There's no rush for this.

But I would RULE OUT a return to Europe.  It's just too soon.

you'll hear one in due time.  SoccerUSA is merely focusing its energies and resources in getting ready for '06.  Probably after that, all the FIFA schmoozing in Germany, and how the Olympic bids for '16 line up, will a more honed US position on 2018 come out.  There's no rush for this.

But I would RULE OUT a return to Europe.  It's just too soon.

You're the only one who is I think.

Have you known me to change my tune?

Anyway, if 2018 is emerging as a wide-open race (altho, frankly I have not heard any of those so-called peeps from China?), Blatter is just talking out of his hat.  Realistically, I just don't see 3 so. hemisphere WCs in a row.  After So. Africa and Brazil, the Blatter forces may have to reassess their figures.  It just seems so implausible.  And Australia just doesn't have 9 cities of significant size needed for a successful WC energy.  

I mean, even 2010 is stretching it.  Look at their cities: the fairly big ones are: Cape Town, Jo'burg, Durban, Port Elizabeth, Pretoria and Bloemfontaine.  After that, who's heard of the others?  

And Oz?  After the Big 5, what else is there?  So again, I wouldn't give much credence to these early Oz, England, China readings.  It's what you don't know that's going to surprise you.

the only countries so far that have made any hint of bidding are Australia, Canada, China and England, along with probable bids from Spain, maybe Italy or Poland

not allowing joint bids is going to limit many European countries ablitiy to host the WC now

though there is one good thing about an Australian bid, it could screw over there bid for 2011 and give the tourney to Canada  :D

the only countries so far that have made any hint of bidding are Australia, Canada, China and England, along with probable bids from Spain, maybe Italy or Poland

Italy hosted in 1990...

Italy hosted in 1990...

just because they bid doesn't not mean that they are going to be seriously considered

i would laugh my arse off if the USA does not even bid

no offence to the Brits or Americans, but with 2012 and 2016 going to you respectively, let someone else have the big show in 2018 - Spain, Poland, Russia, Sweden, China, Australia, Mexico(well not really those people), but anyone else, this includes Toronto for 2016, so don't bring that up

The idea of joint hosts is dead, officially, according to FIFA who have implemented a policy of no joint hosts in the future.

No, Blatter retracted some months ago. About 2014, he said that "Brazil isn't the host of the Cup yet" and FIFA will accept biddings of two countries, refering to Chile-Argentina. I don't know that this will be also for 2018 and other continents, but joint hosts are allowed, at least, for Southamerica 2014.

The idea of joint hosts is dead, officially, according to FIFA who have implemented a policy of no joint hosts in the future.

No, Blatter retracted some months ago. About 2014, he said that "Brazil isn't the host of the Cup yet" and FIFA will accept biddings of two countries, refering to Chile-Argentina. I don't know that this will be also for 2018 and other continents, but joint hosts are allowed, at least, for Southamerica 2014.

OK, question to Kratk: this is the one chance for South America in what? 30 years or so.  Brazil is the pre-eminent football country; so far it is has a healthy economy.  Do you really think Argentina-Chile has a chance?  Do you really think Brazil and FIFA's Executive Board will let the golden opportunity pass?  :rolleyes:

With each passing day that Blatter opens his mouth, he is getting more and more ridiculous.

Italy hosted in 1990...

just because they bid doesn't not mean that they are going to be seriously considered

i would laugh my arse off if the USA does not even bid

no offence to the Brits or Americans, but with 2012 and 2016 going to you respectively, let someone else have the big show in 2018 - Spain, Poland, Russia, Sweden, China, Australia, Mexico(well not really those people), but anyone else, this includes Toronto for 2016, so don't bring that up

Right...but it's OK that Germany had an Olympics in 1972 and then a World Cup in 1974!? And then another World Cup in 2006! Talk about hogging the limelight!!

It's not up to us to "let someone else have the big show in 2018". If we want it, we'll bid and it's up to FIFA to decide. Same goes for the US - and whilst I don't want it to go there, I don't think they should not bid if they want it.

I know you're not fond of British culture and English footballing culture in particular - you've made that clear before and, really, that doesn't bother me one bit. But disguising under a very thin veneer of altruism is a bit much to stomach.

An English bid for 2018 is looking more and more likely as new reports emerge. If you don't like it, sorry.

6798.jpg

Archived