Uci Proposes Radical Changes In Olympic Track Cycling

Fox334

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/amateur/story/200...oc-changes.html

The good news or the bad news first?

Good: Gender equality in Track Cycling.

Bad: No more endurance Track Cycling event.

The proposal, which would be effective from London 2012, would keep 10 track events, 5 for the men and the women. According to sources close to the IOC, they would be: Individual Sprint, Team Sprint, Team Pursuit, Keirin, Omnium.

So, what do you guys think? I personally would support the plan if the Omnium was replaced by the individual pursuit or even the point race. Also, this one is happy to finally see a women's Team Pursuit being added and the Keirin sticking around. But having the Team Pursuit but not the Individual Pursuit? Bizarre, eh?

• 3 months later...

Although 7 for men, 3 for women was unacceptable, the solution is just as unacceptable IMO - and it's ridiculous really when the world championships have 19 events over 5 days, yet the Olympics have just 10 over 4 days.

I'm sure an extra day could have been added, or at worst the men lose just one event, with the women having three added to take it to 12 events over 4 days, perfectly doable.

As for the proposals though, I'd have rather seen the individual pursuit kept and the Omnium not introduced, or the Keiron scrapped instead so it's two sprint events (individual/team), two endurance and one multi-event - which would be a much more balanced programme.

The IOC would only allow the UCI to have 18 events, so 10 mountain biking world championships goes to 2, 19 track cycling goes to 10 and 4 road world championships stay they same, and than BMX cross is there from that branch.

If the UCI wanted more track races, they would have to sacrifice other events to keep within the 18 they are given.

Though in this case there could have been an argument that the IOC has allowed additional events when the purpose was to make a discipline/sport gender neutral.

The operations budget of an Olympics is pushing 2 billion dollars, that is almost 7 million dollars per event. You keep on adding sports here and there and everywhere, the cost can escalate 50 to 100 million dollars in no time. The IOC is trying to manage the size of the games and the venues needed. Unlike what many of the newer Americans go on about here, the primary reason for getting rid of baseball and softball was venue costs. I believe Athens venues were in the 50 to 100 million dollar range for temporary venues that would never get used again, not to mention the high athlete numbers for a sport that is not widely played or cared about. The IOC needs to control costs, modern pentathlon is another event that is going to be ditched in the near future because of costs associated with it. Samaranch was willy-nilly with expanding the games and the costs escalated form about 2 billion dollars total to Beijing that some estimates put at 60 billion. Athens was over 10.

There are many injustices to the sports program that are more important than track cycling, women's boxing and wrestling primarily. From 11 weight classes to 4 in women's boxing with only 32 athletes, meaning one win will guarentee a medal and women's wrestling is not much better.

But the operations budget is not infrastructure, venue cost is one consideration, but also additional athletes, extra media, extra venue uses and so much more.

Cost associated with new events:

a)medals

b)officials

c)venue paid staff

d)media acceditations and additional costs associated

e)venue running costs like electricity

it adds up to hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars an event.

In all fairness, with the pursuit (and all UCI track racing).

The officials are the same.

The atheltes are the same (2 types of rider really, Endurance and Sprint)

Media acceditations, surely thats the same too, and IP take up just under 1h30 in total, you can run it in a day, it has to be a different day to the TP though. Look at this years Copenhagen world championships schedule for this, they've got it right.

Electricity and venue paid staff, well i'll give you those.

What is incorrect with this move from the UCI is that the Olympic is now a very sprint orientated programme. The omnium, well who really understands it in the cycling world? Results converted to points and things, it doesn't make sense, most cycling fans just want to see the race, not having to work out who's doing what in the overall points.

I have sympathies with cycling's concerns. I'd personally like to see more track events. However, this is the Olympics not the World Championships. All the Olympic events are - to an extent - compromised by being in the Olympics. The price you pay for global exposure at the games for your sport is a more limited programme than at your own event.

• 2 weeks later...

If the IOC were serious about reducing costs they should never have introduced BMX which requires an additional venue to the existing infrastructure needs of cycling. BMX should be dropped with the olympic cycling programme focused entirely on 3 disciplines (track, road, mountain). Ideally, I think BMX should be replaced with a another off-road event; thus in the mountain biking discipline, to strengthen this discipline and gain further use for it's temporary venue. A team event would be my preference with a relay the possible format as this would be unique to cycling. Track Cycling's programme should also be expanded to at least 12 events; with the Individual pursuit re-introduced, the points race replacing the omnium and the track time trials replacing the keirin. Otherwise, I would like to see the continuation of the keirin with a 14 event programme but not ahead of the traditional time trials. This would mean Cycling's quota would need to expand from 18 events to 20-22 but considering cycling is one of the world's most accessible recreations (perhaps only behind athletics and football?) i believe this would be warranted (especially considering a sport like wrestling has just as many events but far less publicity).

If the IOC were serious about reducing costs they should never have introduced BMX which requires an additional venue to the existing infrastructure needs of cycling. BMX should be dropped with the olympic cycling programme focused entirely on 3 disciplines (track, road, mountain). Ideally, I think BMX should be replaced with a another off-road event; thus in the mountain biking discipline, to strengthen this discipline and gain further use for it's temporary venue. A team event would be my preference with a relay the possible format as this would be unique to cycling. Track Cycling's programme should also be expanded to at least 12 events; with the Individual pursuit re-introduced, the points race replacing the omnium and the track time trials replacing the keirin. Otherwise, I would like to see the continuation of the keirin with a 14 event programme but not ahead of the traditional time trials. This would mean Cycling's quota would need to expand from 18 events to 20-22 but considering cycling is one of the world's most accessible recreations (perhaps only behind athletics and football?) i believe this would be warranted (especially considering a sport like wrestling has just as many events but far less publicity).

Good post, however BMX as Brekkie Boy has said, is reasonably low cost and is popular is this younger bunch of people. MTB is well established as an alternative branch of cycling. And Keirin HAS to stay, it's the most exciting event of the track. The track time trials are a loath of mine, I wasn't sad to see them go

Good post, however BMX as Brekkie Boy has said, is reasonably low cost and is popular is this younger bunch of people. MTB is well established as an alternative branch of cycling. And Keirin HAS to stay, it's the most exciting event of the track. The track time trials are a loath of mine, I wasn't sad to see them go

Indeed, I think its impossible to argue that the track time trial is more entertaining that the keirin or BMX. Sorry, but the killo is just boring to watch compared to just about every other track cycling events.

BMX is dirt cheap to host. The track is dirt cheap and the temporary seats are dirt cheap.

Excuse the pun.

We have quite a few BMX tracks here, although on a smaller scale. Its all the rage. Look. lotsa kids.

Songo.info hosts its first BMX League event in Kayamandi.

This past Saturday Songo.info had the opportunity to host its first BMX League event at their home track in Kayamandi.

PA170558.JPG

The three clubs taking part were Songo.info/Cycling4Kayamandi, Velokhaya and Mitchell’s Plain and there were about 60 riders taking part in the various age categoties as well as a couple of elite riders from the Stellenbosch are that came to join in the fun for the day.

1.JPGWarming up and checking all the lines on the track

We were fortunate enough to have a two man start gate which gave the kids a bit of a feel as to what the top level riders racing is like. The kids throughout all the categories all had the chance to do a flying lap where there time was taken and were then paired up to race accordingly.

2.JPGOne of the Songo kids starting his timed lap

Even though the temperature guage was steadily going up and the wind and dust getting worse the racing continued at a fierce pace with all the kids trying not to get eliminated and go on to each following round. Add to this some friendly rivalry of doing your club proud and you could only imagine all the cheering and supporting from the sidelinesas as race after race took place!

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

At the end of a great days worth of racing there was a little exhibition from the local elite guys as well as the prize giving where Songo.info took some of the medals. The guys from the mountain bike club were out to support as well and I am happy to say that Sivuyile that crashed so badly at the Lourensford Classic has fully recovered and back in training!

6.JPG

7.JPG

South Africa will like so be dominating BMX in like 10 years when these kids turn 18.

Archived