Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Faster

11th. FINA World Championships

Despatie was I think around 7 - 8 years old during Barcelona 1992.  He made his international debut at the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur 1998 when I believe he was 13.

You're right. Kuala Lumpur 1998 with a bronze, and it was actually Barcelona 2003, not 1992.

Correction, Alexandre Despatie won a gold in Kuala Lumpur 1998.

i have no idea how Canada can win only two medals at the Olympic Games in aquatics and win 7 medals at the world championships a year later, not to mention there is a possible three more medalsm so if all goes well, Canada's medal table should be 4-2-4, than minus the two non-olympic sports and the two relays and you got 6 medals, half of our bloody total in Athens, how can a year make that much difference?

The answer is quite simple in swimming. Its the first year after the Olympics and a few athletes are taking a break.

Canada has improved in the medal standings because of the absence of stars like Ian Thorpe, Pieter Van den Hoogenband or  Amanda Beard, Hannah Stockbauer. Just to name a few.

I also have the impression, the US Girls Teams participates with a new generation.

Well, I did manage to get the rest of my previous final results post completed. Now, on with this show:

Women's 50m Backstroke Swimming

1. Giaan Rooney (Australia) - 28.63s

2. GAO Chang (China) - 28.69s

3. Antje Buschschulte (Germany) - 28.72s

Men's 50m Breaststroke Swimming

1. Mark Warnecke (Germany) - 27.63s

2. Mark Gangloff (USA) - 27.71s

3. Kosuke Kitajima (Japan) - 27.78s

Men's 100m Freestyle Swimming

1. Filippo Magnini (Italy) - 48.12s (Championship Record)

2. Roland Schoeman (South Africa) - 48.28s

3. Ryk Neethling (South Africa) - 48.34s

Women's 100m Freestyle Swimming

1. Jodie Henry (Australia) - 54.18s

2. Malia Metella (France) - 54.74s

2. Natalie Coughlin (USA) - 54.74s

Men's 200m Freestyle Swimming

1. Michael Phelps (USA) - 1:45.20

2. Grant Hackett (Australia) - 1:46.14

3. Ryk Neethling (South Africa) - 1:46.63

Women's 200m Freestyle Swimming

1. Solenne Figues (France) - 1:58.60

2. Federica Pellegrini (Italy) - 1:58.73

3. YANG Yu (China) - 1:59.08

Men's 200m Backstroke Swimming

1. Aaron Peirsol (USA) - 1:54.66 (WORLD RECORD)

2. Markus Rogan (Austria) - 1:56.63

3. Ryan Lochte (USA) - 1:57.00

Men's 200m Breaststroke Swimming

1. Brendan Hansen (USA) - 2:09.85

2. Mike Brown (CANADA) - 2:11.22

3. Genki Imamura (Japan) - 2:11.54

Women's 200m Breaststroke Swimming

1. Leisel Jones (Australia) - 2:21.72 (WORLD RECORD)

2. Anne Poleska (Germany) - 2:25.84

3. Mirna Jukic (Austria) - 2:27.11

Men's 200m Butterfly Swimming

1. Pawel Korzeniowski (Poland) - 1:55.02

2. Takeshi Matsuda (Japan) - 1:55.62

3. WU Peng (China) - 1:56.50

Women's 200m Butterfly Swimming

1. Otylia Jedrzejczak (Poland) - 2:05.61 (WORLD RECORD)

2. Jessicah Schipper (Australia) - 2:05.65

3. Yuko Nakanishi (Japan) - 2:09.40

Men's 200m Individual Medley Swimming

1. Michael Phelps (USA) - 1:56.68

2. Laszio Cseh (Hungary) - 1:57.61

3. Ryan Lochte (USA) - 1:57.79

actually only two races Canada medaled in had a weak field, the two relays, the women's 1500m had a full field and so did the men's 200m breast

Might as well make another post here:

Men's 800m Freestyle Swimming

1. Grant Hackett (Australia) - 7:38.65 (WORLD RECORD)

2. Larsen Jensen (USA) - 7:45.63

3. Yuri Prilukov (Russia) - 7:46.64

Men's 4X200m Freestyle Swimming

1. USA - 7:06.58

2. CANADA - 7:09.73

3. Australia - 7:10.59

Women's 4X200m Freestyle Swimming

1. USA - 7:53.70 (Championship Record)

2. Australia - 7:54.06

3. China - 7:57.29

Women's Waterpolo

1. Hungary

2. USA

3. CANADA

another good day for new zealand swimmers:

Kiwi Swimmers Continue To Shine

31/07/2005

World record-holder Zoe Baker became the sixth Kiwi finalist as the records continued for the promising New Zealand swim squad on the penultimate day of the world championships in Montreal on Sunday (NZ time).

Baker, in her first international in New Zealand colours, qualified seventh fastest in the women's 50m breaststroke for the last session of finals.

North Shore backstroker Scott Talbot-Cameron equalled the New Zealand record in the semifinals of the 50m backstroke while clubmate Liz Coster finished eighth in the final of the 50m butterfly, under the previous national record.

New Zealand last qualified a finalist at the world championships seven years ago and with one day remaining New Zealand has claimed six finalists and broken eight New Zealand records.

The squad has produced 10 swims now in the world's top 10 to lay a foundation to chase success at next year's Commonwealth Games in Melbourne as a stepping stone to improving their international ranking for Beijing Olympics and beyond.

Baker (Jasi, Christchurch) finished second in the final heat with an impressive 31.30s, just outside her New Zealand record of 31.21s.

The 29-year-old, who set the world record of 30.57s three years ago while racing for Great Britain, did not fire on all cylinders in the semifinal but her 31.58s effort was enough to see her through to Monday's (NZ time) final.

Coster has been the find for the New Zealanders in Montreal. The 23-year-old broke the New Zealand record in the 50m backstroke earlier in the meet and on Saturday (NZ time) claimed the 50m butterfly record with a 27.10s in qualifying eighth for the final. While she went under that old record again in the final, her 27.23s placed her eighth overall.

``I'm thrilled for Liz. She came to this meet with the 44th best time in the world over the 50m butterfly this year and she has come away as one of the eight best swimmers in the world,'' head coach Jan Cameron said.

``That is a superb performance in any books.

``She really believes now and I think we will see some big things from Liz going forward. Liz did not quite click in the final but that's a learning curve and she is going to be much better for this experience.''

Talbot-Cameron (North Shore), son of the New Zealand head coach, set a personal best in 26.30s to qualify 14th, finishing fifth in the fastest heat.

The 24-year-old lowered that to 26.23s in the semifinal, equalling the New Zealand record of clubmate Cameron Gibson and finishing seventh in his semifinal and 14th overall.

This is another significant international effort for Talbot-Cameron who qualified with the 38th best time in the world this year.

Earlier the women's 4x100m medley relay team could not advance to the finals despite recording a New Zealand record.

They were 11th overall in 4:08.01 which was well inside the previous best from a New Zealand Representative team of 4:16.97s, set back in the 2002 Pan Pacs in Japan, and also nearly two seconds inside their qualifying time.

Hannah McLean, chasing her fourth final, had New Zealand in the lead after an excellent 1:01.53 backstroke leg, and while Alison Fitch closed with a strong 55.39s freestyle stint, they drifted off the pace in the butterfly and breaststroke legs to finish one second off qualifying for the final.

They did improve their Commonwealth ranking to third behind top qualifiers Australia and Great Britain, who will break into their individual home countries for the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne next year.

North Shore's Nichola Chellingworth swam a personal best to miss qualifying by just 4/100th of a second in the heats of the 50m freestyle, while both Fitch and Annabelle Carey did not advance in their sprints.

The final day of competition sees medley exponents Helen Norfolk and Dean Kent take on the 400m individual medley and the New Zealand men's team are in the heats of the 4x100m medley relay.

New Zealand results:

Heats:

Women 50m freestyle: Nichola Chellingworth 25.59 18th; Alison Fitch 26.60 31st.

Men 50m backstroke: Scott Talbot-Cameron 26.30 14th.

Women 50m breaststroke: Zoe Baker 31.30 4th; Annabelle Carey 33.04 23rd.

Women 4x100m medley relay: New Zealand 4:08.01 11th (H McLean 1:01.53, Carey 1:10.73 Coster 1:00.36 Fitch 55.39)

Semifinals:

Women 50m breaststroke: Baker 31.58, 4th (7th qualifier for final)

Men 50m backstroke: Talbot Cameron 26.23s, 7th in semifinal (14th overall, equal NZ Record)

Final:

Women 50m butterfly: D Miatke (AUS) 26.11, 1; A-K Kammerling (SWE) 26.36, 2; T Alshammar (SWE) 26.39, 3; E Coster (NZL) 27.23, 8.

More final results:

Men's 50m Freestyle Swimming

1. Roland Schoeman (South Africa) - 21.69s (Championship Record)

2. Duje Draganja (Croatia) - 21.89s

3. Bartosz Kizierowski (Poland) - 21.94s

Women's 50m Butterfly Swimming

1. Danni Miatke (Australia) - 26.11s

2. Anna-Karin Kammerling (Sweden) - 26.36s

3. Therese Alshammer (Sweden) - 26.39s

Women's 200m Backstroke Swimming

1. Kirsty Coventry (Zimbabwe) - 2:08.52

2. Margaret Hoelzer (USA) - 2:09.94

3. Reiko Nakamura (Japan) - 2:10.41

Men's 100m Butterfly Swimming

1. Ian Crocker (USA) - 50.40s (WORLD RECORD)

2. Michael Phelps (USA) - 51.65s

3. Andriy Serdinov (Ukraine) - 52.08s

Women's 800m Freestyle Swimming

1. Kate Ziegler (USA) - 8:25.31

2. Brittany Reimer (CANADA) - 8:27.59

3. Ai Shibata (Japan) - 8:27.86

Women's 4X100m Medley Relay Swimming

1. Australia - 3:57.47 (Championship Record)

2. USA - 3:59.92

3. Germany - 4:02.51

Men's Waterpolo

1. Serbia & Montenegro

2. Hungary

3. Greece

i have no idea how Canada can win only two medals at the Olympic Games in aquatics and win 7 medals at the world championships a year later, not to mention there is a possible three more medalsm so if all goes well, Canada's medal table should be 4-2-4, than minus the two non-olympic sports and the two relays and you got 6 medals, half of our bloody total in Athens, how can a year make that much difference?

The answer is quite simple in swimming. Its the first year after the Olympics and a few athletes are taking a break.

Canada has improved in the medal standings because of the absence of stars like Ian Thorpe, Pieter Van den Hoogenband or  Amanda Beard, Hannah Stockbauer. Just to name a few.

I also have the impression, the US Girls Teams participates with a new generation.

I wouldn't exactly claim it all on a weaker field.  Not that many major stars have taken a break.  And considering Canada did horrible in Athens, even if those stars were there they would still be exceeding expectations!  Im really enjoying the new direction Canadian Swimming is going!

New Zealand has had its most successful world champs in terms of finals made. New Zealand qualified for 8 finals with anouther 3 athletes finishing in 9th place. A wonderful effort from the kiwis

from what i was hearing it was a great championships. all road lead to Melbourne in 2007. Well done Montreal.

Not in English but hey you can guess by the flags

lista.jpg

Canada in 6th. place in total medals. Not bad at all.

Since Montreal 2005 just ended, its time to anticipate and prepare for the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships in Calgary.

Since Montreal 2005 just ended, its time to anticipate and prepare for the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships in Calgary.

Uh, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Don't forget about the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships in Vancouver before Calgary. Never mind the World Half-Marathon Championships in Edmonton before that.

Uh, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Don't forget about the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships in Vancouver before Calgary. Never mind the World Half-Marathon Championships in Edmonton before that.

oh, yeah forgot that one. Vancouver, Kelowna and Kamloops will be on the spotlight by December. hehehe. crazy me.  :blush:

from what i was hearing it was a great championships.......... Well done Montreal.

Yes, the general feeling in the media is that Montreal did very well. The crowds were very enthusiatic, with a great atmosphere in the main pool. (Edmonton was criticised quite a bit over the 2001 IAAF World Championships).

Also the quality of swimming was high. It was predicted that Montreal 2005 wouldn't produce great results because it is a post-olympic year so many athletes, take it easy, and even take time off to rest (eg. Ian Thorpe).

However, pretty much the opposite happened- 9 world records were broken. It was a quality meeting.

lista.jpg

Are you sure this is correct? The Netherlands won just 1 bronze medal as far as I know...

lista.jpg

Are you sure this is correct? The Netherlands won just 1 bronze medal as far as I know...

I just realize we won a few medals in the open water so I suppose it's correct after all :)

Great champs, thanks Montreal!

Spain did pretty good, with 5 medals (we expected 4)...I would like to congratulate Gemma Mengual, who has won 4 medals during this competition! She's our national mermaid!

01.jpg

The FINA President Mustapha Larfaoui expressed today his satisfaction with the success of the 11th FINA World Championships in Montreal, he said:

"FINA has good reasons to be satisfied." He was commenting on the level of participation in the championships - 1784 athletes from 144 countries, and the performances in the five aquatic disciplines.

"Moreover, the organisation of the championships represents a huge legacy for the City of Montreal and for the youth of Canada," he added.

http://www.fina.org/press_05_no54.html

The FINA President Mustapha Larfaoui expressed today his satisfaction with the success of the 11th FINA World Championships in Montreal, he said:

"FINA has good reasons to be satisfied." He was commenting on the level of participation in the championships - 1784 athletes from 144 countries, and the performances in the five aquatic disciplines.

"Moreover, the organisation of the championships represents a huge legacy for the City of Montreal and for the youth of Canada," he added.

http://www.fina.org/press_05_no54.html

What is that exactly?

From all indications, wasn't the entire facility a temporary facility?

Then again...if your say..Chicago and bidding for the Games, wouldnt' it make sense in the future to have a facility like that be a temp.

What is that exactly?

From all indications, wasn't the entire facility a temporary facility?

Then again...if your say..Chicago and bidding for the Games, wouldnt' it make sense in the future to have a facility like that be a temp.

Are the Montreal 2005 facilities temporary?

I didn't know that......

If this is true, then the legacy described by the FINA wouldn't involve the establishement of facilities to be used by future generations etc....

the facilities are not temperary, they are becoming the Ile St. Ellen(sp) Aquatic Centre, its going to be used as a summer training facility and a competition facility, its has like 13 bookings in the next 52 weeks, and Swimming Canada wants to aid more

the facilities are not temperary, they are becoming the Ile St. Ellen(sp) Aquatic Centre, its going to be used as a summer training facility and a competition facility, its has like 13 bookings in the next 52 weeks, and Swimming Canada wants to aid more

I thought so...

Didn't Montreal spend something around $40 million to construct these facilities (I remember hearing something like that back in January, when Montreal was stripped/ reinstated the 2005 championship)?

But if place is going to be used as a summer training facility, then that is a good legacy......

of the 7 pools built i think 3 or 4 are temporary and would be relocated as permanent facilities in other cities. similar to what Long Beach did when the hosted last year's Olympic Trials.