England 2018- World Cup Bid

If allowed I think a joint Spain/ Portugal world cup would be great. Portugal would offer the new frontier aspect whilst Spain would offer prestige with famous/ iconic stadiums (in the footballing world that is), with matches at Nou Camp (barcelona) and Bernbeau (Madrid).

I would like to see Portugal host the final in Lisbon. Both semi-finals would be held in Spain, one in Madrid, the other in Barcelona. Or maybe Spain would want to give other cities a chance to claim the spot light- both semi-finals could be held at Seville and valencia (in the snew stadium offered for the 2009 world athletics championships).

Only problem with Seville/ Valencia semi-finals is that is would eliminate the magic and prestige of having matches at 2 iconic well-known stadiums.

yeah, and I guess Don Alfonso de Quijana could kick off the tournament.    :rolleyes:

You've actually brought quite an interesting point there.

At present the winner of the previous world cup always starts the tournament and plays the first game. At Japan/ Korea in 2002 it was France vs. Senegal.

But a lot of people think that the host team should play the opening game of the world cup.

So if Spain/ Portugal were to host 2018 then people like Figo and Ronaldo could kick off the tournament. otherwise it would be the winners of the 2014 world cup- probably Brazil seeing as they're the current holders and also with the added bonus that 2014 is in Brazil, so home crowd advantage.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It shouldn't matter if the governing body does its job properly and if its leaders are actually worthy of the offices they hold. I suspect there are many British reporters who would say that the task

Reading one of the papers today, it would seem that the Russian bid has seen the Triesman rubbish and raised us by insulting every single football fan in this land. Russia 2018 bid: "England fans are

Fifa made the right decision. Quite frankly, I am ashamed of England's behaviour in the wake of the decision. What if they had won? Would they be so boisterous in their calls for reform in FIFA? NO! W

Well, suit-U, I guess you're not up on your WC rules.  The defending champion is NO longer 'defending' by FIFA's new WC rules.  They just win the present Cup and that's it.  No bye for the next one.  It's only the host country(ies) that get automatic slot(s); the reasoning being the new 'champ' team may not necessarily be the same team mix as the winning one.
If allowed I think a joint Spain/ Portugal world cup would be great. Portugal would offer the new frontier aspect whilst Spain would offer prestige with famous/ iconic stadiums (in the footballing world that is), with matches at Nou Camp (barcelona) and Bernbeau (Madrid).

I would like to see Portugal host the final in Lisbon. Both semi-finals would be held in Spain, one in Madrid, the other in Barcelona. Or maybe Spain would want to give other cities a chance to claim the spot light- both semi-finals could be held at Seville and valencia (in the snew stadium offered for the 2009 world athletics championships).

Only problem with Seville/ Valencia semi-finals is that is would eliminate the magic and prestige of having matches at 2 iconic well-known stadiums.

Yeah, it could be great, but the final in Madrid and the semifinals in Lisboa and Barcelona :;):  :)

I heard Germany wanted to play the opening game of next year's tournament.

I'm sure they did ... but they also wanted to win the last world cup!!! shame things don't always work out

Watched the Ireland-Germany game in an Irish bar in London with a German colleague ... Christ was I happy when we equalised very late on!!!

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has urged the Football Association to submit a bid for England to host the 2018 World Cup.

Blatter said he would welcome a bid from "the homeland of football" and that they could take advantage of the new Wembley and the infrastructure improvements being made for the 2012 Olympics in London.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has urged the Football Association to submit a bid for England to host the 2018 World Cup.

Blatter said he would welcome a bid from "the homeland of football" and that they could take advantage of the new Wembley and the infrastructure improvements being made for the 2012 Olympics in London.

Excellent news. But tell me Rob, when does Sepp Blatter's term end as FIFA President? And do you know who his successor may be? any contedners? I wonder if they would be open to an English world cup bid also.

Guys, what is this "G14" here? I never heard of it before:

G14 Starts Legal Fight With FIFA

The G14 are the best football teams of Europe:

Real Madrid CF (Spain)

AC Milan (Italy)

AFC Ajax (Netherlands)

Liverpool FC (England)

Juventus FC (Italy)

FC Bayern Munchen (Germany)

FC Internazionale Milano (Italy)

FC Barcelona (Spain)

Manchester United FC (England)

Borussia Dortmund (Germany)

PSV (Netherlands)

Futebol Clube do Porto (Portugal)

Olympique de Marseille (France)

Paris Saint-Germain (France)

Arsenal FC (England)

Bayern Leverkusen (Germany)

Olympique Lyonnais (France)

Valencia CF (Spain)

:)

Real Madrid CF (Spain)

AC Milan (Italy)

AFC Ajax (Netherlands)

Liverpool FC (England)

Juventus FC (Italy)

FC Barcelona (Spain)

PSV (Netherlands)

Arsenal FC (England)

Valencia CF (Spain)

What is their main purpose in European football, if there is one?

Real Madrid CF (Spain)

AC Milan (Italy)

AFC Ajax (Netherlands)

Liverpool FC (England)

Juventus FC (Italy)

FC Barcelona (Spain)

PSV (Netherlands)

Arsenal FC (England)

Valencia CF (Spain)

I don't know, what is "purpose"? :oo:

Real Madrid CF (Spain)

AC Milan (Italy)

AFC Ajax (Netherlands)

Liverpool FC (England)

Juventus FC (Italy)

FC Barcelona (Spain)

PSV (Netherlands)

Arsenal FC (England)

Valencia CF (Spain)

According to their website:

September 2000, fourteen founder clubs created the "G-14 European Football Clubs Grouping", an E.E.I.G. registered in Brussels, making G-14 the first international club organisation in world football.

They were joined in 2002 by four new members: Arsenal FC, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Olympique Lyonnais and Valencia CF.

Their aim was simple: to find a constructive way of reforming a system in which their voice was not heard and to establish for the clubs a meaningful executive role in the management of the international game.

I know one of their main 'missions' is getting financial compensation from FIFA, UEFA or the National FA's if their players get injured during internationals. In the current situation the club has to pay for the player's recovery (hospital bills etcetera) and is unable to use him for a specific period (which can differ from a few days to several months) while still having to pay him salary.

Real Madrid CF (Spain)

AC Milan (Italy)

AFC Ajax (Netherlands)

Liverpool FC (England)

Juventus FC (Italy)

FC Barcelona (Spain)

PSV (Netherlands)

Arsenal FC (England)

Valencia CF (Spain)

According to their website:

September 2000, fourteen founder clubs created the "G-14 European Football Clubs Grouping", an E.E.I.G. registered in Brussels, making G-14 the first international club organisation in world football.

They were joined in 2002 by four new members: Arsenal FC, Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Olympique Lyonnais and Valencia CF.

Their aim was simple: to find a constructive way of reforming a system in which their voice was not heard and to establish for the clubs a meaningful executive role in the management of the international game.

I know one of their main 'missions' is getting financial compensation from FIFA, UEFA or the National FA's if their players get injured during internationals. In the current situation the club has to pay for the player's recovery (hospital bills etcetera) and is unable to use him for a specific period (which can differ from a few days to several months) while still having to pay him salary.

Ok, thanks Quintana! :)  :;):

I see. Also, these 14 looks like the "most recognized" ones in Europe that I know of.

That's true.

And it really does beg the question: What the hel! are L'Arse doing in there?

Apart from Charlie Dimmock, who last week tipped them to become "the greatest force in Europe" or something stupid like that, who else believes that Arse**l, whose European history is mediocre, and who are currently only the 4th best team in London, should be amongst these great clubs?

Rant over.

:P

• 2 months later...

Back to topic:

As I type this post the top story on BBC News is "England to consider World Cup bid"

The government is to take a first step towards bidding to host the 2018 World Cup by launching a feasibility study.

Chancellor Gordon Brown and Secretary for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), Tessa Jowell, will announce the move.

England last staged - and won - the World Cup in 1966 and Mr Brown, a keen football fan, will say millions of fans will agree it is time to host it again.

The feasibility study is needed before the Football Association decides whether to bid for the tournament.

Alec McGivan, who spearheaded England's unsuccessful bid for the 2006 World Cup, said the FA would certainly back the bid if the government did.

He said England's last bid had been scuppered by politics, rather than by any doubts about the country's ability to host the tournament.

"What let us down last time was that Uefa - bar one vote - wanted Germany" to have the World Cup, he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

He said the FA was now better liked within world football than it had been at the time of the 2006 bid.

"England traditionally has been seen as rather arrogant. The FA has learned that lesson, and has won friends and influence as a result," he said.

But he said the European vote could be split if Spain also wanted to host the 2018 tournament.

'Passionate supporters'

Martin Peters, a star of the 1966 team, will join politicians, representatives of the Football Foundation and officials from South Africa, which is hosting the 2010 World Cup, for today's launch in London's East End.

Mr Brown will highlight the country's high-quality stadiums and "the most passionate supporters in Europe".

He will say London's successful 2012 Olympic bid shows Britain is capable of hosting the "biggest international sporting events".

Mr McGivan pointed out that Fifa, football's world governing body, will make its 2018 decision just before the London Olympics.

"Assuming we put on a superb Olympics, it would probably be to our advantage - unless the world feels we're getting too much."

Fifa is expected to announce that the 2018 contest will be staged in Europe.

Next year's finals are in Germany, followed by South Africa in 2010 and then South America, where Brazil are expected to clinch the contest.

FA Chief Executive Brian Barwick welcomed the government study into bidding for the World Cup.

"It would be a fantastic event," he said.

The study will be carried out by the Treasury and DCMS.

It will establish the necessary components of a successful bid and assess whether England and the FA are capable of meeting them.

Also considered will be the level of support from the public and football community, what the role of government would be and stadium capacity, both now and after the Olympics.

"You give yourself the best chance by going through stages like this," Tessa Jowell told Radio 5 Live.

So the ball is officially rolling:

Link

Well, the very last topic the foreign journalists in the BBC World program "Dateline London" was about England's chances of landing the 2018 World Cup. Man, did they had quite a lot to say about it, especially that American journalist.
England 2018 is like Brazil 2014, a fact that obviously will happen :) Of course this American journalist isn't a FIFA member and CAN'T vote so if the UEFA want the WC 2018 in Europe we will have the 2018 WC in Europe: WE HAVE THE MAJORITY OF VOTES!!! TAKE THAT BARON!!! :rolleyes:

:D Yeah! go England.

New Zealand will probibly support your bid, even if Australia puts it's hand up.

...Because we're vindictive like that,

Australia supported Japan for RWC2011. :wwww: