England 2018- World Cup Bid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It shouldn't matter if the governing body does its job properly and if its leaders are actually worthy of the offices they hold. I suspect there are many British reporters who would say that the task

Reading one of the papers today, it would seem that the Russian bid has seen the Triesman rubbish and raised us by insulting every single football fan in this land. Russia 2018 bid: "England fans are

Fifa made the right decision. Quite frankly, I am ashamed of England's behaviour in the wake of the decision. What if they had won? Would they be so boisterous in their calls for reform in FIFA? NO! W

With only seven days to go until FIFA announces which nation will host the 2018 FIFA World Cup™, England's bid has received a major boost from sponsor Morrisons.

England legend Alan Shearer and actress, model and England fan Kelly Brook this morning delivered over 1.6 million signatures to the England 2018 Bid offices at Wembley. The giant petition was the result of an eight-month campaign by Morrisons, an official partner of the England 2018 bid, that encouraged its customers to Back the Bid by signing up in-store.

The campaign, which was launched by Shearer in March, has seen customers from across the country pledge their support for the bid and is believed to be amongst the largest petitions ever registered in England.

http://www.england2018bid.com/news/365/1-6m-morrisons-customers-back-england-2018.aspx

Arrests of English and Welsh soccer fans for disorderly conduct at matches in the 2009-2010 season fell by 10 percent from the previous campaign, according to the U.K. Home Office.

There were 3,391 arrests in the season, a decline of 395, according to a statement e-mailed today. The figures include the World Cup in South Africa, where no English or Welsh fans were arrested, the Home Office said.

The U.K. has used banning orders for the last decade to prevent supporters with criminal histories from attending matches. Those bans increased to 3,248 in November from 3,180 12 months earlier. Ministers and police said the situation has improved since 2000, when 950 British hooligans were expelled from Belgium in one night during the European championships.

“There are many factors behind this and the greatest credit must go to the fans,” Crime Prevention Minister James Brokenshire said in the statement. “But I want to see them continue to build on that good behaviour. We must also applaud the work of police in making football a safer environment for all.”

England is bidding to host the 2018 World Cup, and a committee at FIFA, the sport’s governing body, will vote Dec. 2 on where the event will be held.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-29/u-k-government-says-arrests-of-english-welsh-soccer-fans-dropped-by-10-.html

Prime Minister David Cameron will spend three days in Zurich next week lobbying on behalf of England's 2018 World Cup bid, Downing Street has announced.

The prime minister's decision to travel to Switzerland so far in advance of the 2 December vote will be seen as a major boost to England's campaign.

Cameron is likely to meet most of the 22 members of Fifa's executive committee during his visit.

Russia, Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium are also vying for the vote.

Cameron had been expected to be in Zurich for the final hours of the campaign, but it has now been agreed that he will travel to Switzerland on Tuesday, more than 48 hours before the Fifa vote.

He is likely to return briefly to London for Prime Minister's Questions on the Wednesday, before flying back to Zurich later that evening.

Link

I wonder if he'll be inviting fifa members in his hotel suite in the middle of the night?

It worked before.

No reason it shouldn't work again seeing as it is now the norm for heads of state/government to grovel prior to the vote taking place.....

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this letter via e-mail from the BACK ENGLAND bid project.

----------------------------

Dear Supporter

As one of the 2.5 million football fans from around the world who supported England's bid to stage the FIFA World Cup, the time has come for us to say 'thank you.'

When the bid was launched in May last year we set ourselves a target of getting 2 million supporters officially behind us. The fact that we surpassed that figure was a reflection of the enthusiasm and the belief in the English game by you and others and we appreciate your backing during the process.

The result in Zurich was obviously a huge disappointment but as a nation we can take huge pride in the way the whole country pulled together to show the world the best of English football.

The way the entire English Football community, the Government, the Host Cities, the Local Football Associations, the Football Clubs and the Royal Family pulled together was a model for how we must use football as a force for good in the future.

As an official supporter of the bid, you were part of that process and we are proud to have had your backing and to have represented you and millions of others.

Thank you for your support. It was truly appreciated.

Andy Anson

Chief Executive, England 2018

-----------------

Wanted to share it here on GB

I've got this letter via e-mail from the BACK ENGLAND bid project.

----------------------------

Dear Supporter

As one of the 2.5 million football fans from around the world who supported England's bid to stage the FIFA World Cup, the time has come for us to say 'thank you.'

When the bid was launched in May last year we set ourselves a target of getting 2 million supporters officially behind us. The fact that we surpassed that figure was a reflection of the enthusiasm and the belief in the English game by you and others and we appreciate your backing during the process.

The result in Zurich was obviously a huge disappointment but as a nation we can take huge pride in the way the whole country pulled together to show the world the best of English football.

The way the entire English Football community, the Government, the Host Cities, the Local Football Associations, the Football Clubs and the Royal Family pulled together was a model for how we must use football as a force for good in the future.

As an official supporter of the bid, you were part of that process and we are proud to have had your backing and to have represented you and millions of others.

Thank you for your support. It was truly appreciated.

Andy Anson

Chief Executive, England 2018

-----------------

Wanted to share it here on GB

I got the same as well today. A bit slow. The Oz bid team sent out such an email on the day after the vote, and I've had another from them since then too.

I got the same as well today. A bit slow. The Oz bid team sent out such an email on the day after the vote, and I've had another from them since then too.

Same. Also got one from the States the day of the bid from Donovan himself.

And I love how a nation of 300 million people aims to get 1 million fans and barely does it, while the 51 million England population gets 2.5 million fans. Both lost. And they said the Aussie site is down ):

Fifa made the right decision. Quite frankly, I am ashamed of England's behaviour in the wake of the decision. What if they had won? Would they be so boisterous in their calls for reform in FIFA? NO! When Paris lost the Olympic bid to London, the Paris team felt (and expressed) their disappointment for a single day then let it go. England does not have the right to assume possession of any global event - not even the queen has that right nowadays. I commend Mr. Blatter for his fearless leadership. When no one said Africa could do it, Africa did it and magnificently so. I remember the many questions the British media asked about Africa's worthiness and they were proven wrong. They even tried to portray Vancouver as balancing on failure when in truth, it was one of the most exciting winter games in Olympic History. Let's see what will happen for 2012 shall we?

• Like 1

Fifa made the right decision. Quite frankly, I am ashamed of England's behaviour in the wake of the decision. What if they had won? Would they be so boisterous in their calls for reform in FIFA? NO! When Paris lost the Olympic bid to London, the Paris team felt (and expressed) their disappointment for a single day then let it go. England does not have the right to assume possession of any global event - not even the queen has that right nowadays. I commend Mr. Blatter for his fearless leadership. When no one said Africa could do it, Africa did it and magnificently so. I remember the many questions the British media asked about Africa's worthiness and they were proven wrong. They even tried to portray Vancouver as balancing on failure when in truth, it was one of the most exciting winter games in Olympic History. Let's see what will happen for 2012 shall we?

For a moment your post was almost worth reading but as soon as I saw "I commend Mr Blatter for his fearless leadership" the whole premise of your post went down the S bend...

Blather's leadership is like watching a drunken sailor wending his way through harbour brothels...he staggers and lurches looking for support and usually ends up fuvking someone over.

:lol:

What a clown.

If you'd been actually contriuting to these forums during the months prior to the vote YOU'LL KNOW most of the English posters on this forum have been calling for FIFA reform for ages; long before our bid lost. And it was BECAUSE of the English media that FIFA corruption was outed. But I suppose you'd rather that hadn't happened eh?

Surely the reason why England 2018 didn't join this chorus of disapproval during the bid process is obvious, even to you. The major silver lining that we have from England's shoddy defeat is the fact that the English FA are finally dropping the pretence that FIFA is a well run organisation and are now joining the rest of us who've been calling for reform for ages. If England had won, the pretence, sadly, would have continued.

London 2012 will have most of its venues ready a year before the Games and is making astonishing progress (not my words, but those of the IOC's inspection committee a few weeks ago). I don't see the relevence of that to this thread, however.

Edited by RobH

What a load of bull. You have understood absolutely nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

An article I've written for my blog.

Taking a look at the failed England 2018 bid doesn’t tell us a lot that we didn’t already know. Did we really spend all that money bidding for 2006, being beaten by the Germans and not learnt a single lesson from the entire process? It seems that way to me. Perhaps a cynical look at what 2018 was all about might help us realise where we went wrong.

A cynical look at England's 2018 disappointment might help us realise where we went wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/24hwgeq

• Like 1

Please only post in future when you have found a suitable brain. Either you have lost yours or you pickled it over New Year! Your posting is either the work of a raving lunatic or a fully paid-up member of FIFA Corruption Incorporated. Don't let kicking us get in the way of the truth in future, will you?

An article I've written for my blog.

Taking a look at the failed England 2018 bid doesn’t tell us a lot that we didn’t already know. Did we really spend all that money bidding for 2006, being beaten by the Germans and not learnt a single lesson from the entire process? It seems that way to me. Perhaps a cynical look at what 2018 was all about might help us realise where we went wrong.

A cynical look at England's 2018 disappointment might help us realise where we went wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/24hwgeq

Great blog Jon and a very interesting article.I do think that the England bid went badly off the rails in the last 12 months or so and I join you in being surprised that the bid didn't learn more from the successful tactics that won London the 2012 Olympics.(I posted elsewhere my dismay that Mike Lee's offer to help was brushed aside after he had been instrumental in helping guide London's Olympic bid to success.The more so as he had worked closely with Seb Coe who was advising the FA bid.Lee himself commented on the failed bid making many of the same points you did).

So yes,I agree that arrogance and complacency did play its part in bringing the bid crashing down.But I do think that the Panorama corruption probe also played a major part and the fact that there may well have been overriding political and financial considerations that stirred the Ex-Co towards Russia and Qatar.In my view it's not so much that England failed as the fact that they only garnered TWO measly votes,one of which was from the British member! IMO that's what has stuck in mine and most people's craw as much as the mere fact of the loss!

The England 2018 bid didn't just fail,it was practically trampled to the ground and spat on by FIFA.We may have been a bit misguided and complacent in our approach,but did it really deserve THAT?

I look forward to hearing more of your views on this and other things! :)

I don't really care if England made mistakes, few bids are perfect, and nor do I particularly care about the scale of the defeat. It's always possible that one bid does poorly in a final vote.

Analysing England's performance in the face of FIFA's processes, its shady membership, as I've said before, is rather like wondering about the sort of toothpaste you'd used as you walked towards the guillotine.

Naval-gazing and wondering where we went wrong is utterly pointless and only lets FIFA off the hook. We need to be looking externally, not internally if we want to see what is really wrong.

Mistakes by a bidder are one thing, outright corruption and lack of transparency in the awarding body, quite another.

If a side plays poorly but the referee is found to have taken a bribe then it would seem quite strange to analyse that match's result in light of the losing team's performance. Regardless of how accurate your blog post is, that seems to be what it is doing.

I agree with the problems with the bid, but I think that England really lacked something to deliver to the guys controlling FIFA and this is not bribery. FIFA doesn't really like the fact that a few English clubs can form squads stronger than most, if not all, national squads in the WC. If sonething is not done to change this, England won't get another WC.

So they're jealous as well as corrupt. :rolleyes:

Most national sides would be beaten by top club sides from Spain, England, Italy, France and Germany. There's nothing new there. A club side would win the world cup every time if they were allowed to enter and actually, odds on it would be Barcelona at the moment, not an English club.

Seriously, it's laughable that FIFA should be dictating to England how things should be done, when really it should be us and other nations fed up with the organisation forcing change in their ways. Until Blatter retires or dies, I don't think England should have anything to do with FIFA beyond the minimum required of a member nation (pulling out is seemingly not an option and would be pointless unless there was support from other big nations).

Until that day, we should be as contrary as possible, and take a lead where FIFA isn't. Put the money currently going to FIFA's football development programmes towards our own programmes, or towards football development in this country instead. Ignore FIFA dictats on goalline technology and introduce it in the Premier League. When it works and other countries follow our lead it'll be interesting to see how FIFA reacts. I really think there's very little point in England doing anything FIFA demands if it'll hold our country back as a footballing nation now.

Edited by RobH

I agree with the problems with the bid, but I think that England really lacked something to deliver to the guys controlling FIFA and this is not bribery. FIFA doesn't really like the fact that a few English clubs can form squads stronger than most, if not all, national squads in the WC. If sonething is not done to change this, England won't get another WC.

Given what FIFA has been exposed as, you really have to ask the question whether England actually want another World Cup when it means dealing with such a stinking organisation.

The idea that some club sides could beat most or all national teams is not a new one. You could have said the same of Italian sides with all the money in the 80s and 90s or Spanish sides in the early 2000s and Barcelona at the moment. That should not be an issue. What matters is fit and proper governance of the game. The English FA is not perfect in that respect, but everyone knows it is a model of outstanding management compared to FIFA.

• Like 1

You don't need to be looking for failures in the bid. At first it was listed as a favorite for its quality. It is very clear that the press was responsible for this. Apart from news moved by the emotion of loss, now we see no news from english press attacking FIFA. I mean this would be the time to do so, after England had won the election. FIFA could not take away your right to host. Is it worth having lost many votes, while opponents were trying to to please FIFA? I mean Blatter still there, and Teixeira and Grondonna too, and all others. And do not come tell about that anti-corruption committee. This is a joke. My question is: was it worth losing a world cup for these allegations which could still have been done a few months later?

So they're jealous as well as corrupt. :rolleyes:

Most national sides would be beaten by top club sides from Spain, England, Italy, France and Germany. There's nothing new there. A club side would win the world cup every time if they were allowed to enter and actually, odds on it would be Barcelona at the moment, not an English club.

Seriously, it's laughable that FIFA should be dictating to England how things should be done, when really it should be us and other nations fed up with the organisation forcing change in their ways. Until Blatter retires or dies, I don't think England should have anything to do with FIFA beyond the minimum required of a member nation (pulling out is seemingly not an option and would be pointless unless there was support from other big nations).

Until that day, we should be as contrary as possible, and take a lead where FIFA isn't. Put the money currently going to FIFA's football development programmes towards our own programmes, or towards football development in this country instead. Ignore FIFA dictats on goalline technology and introduce it in the Premier League. When it works and other countries follow our lead it'll be interesting to see how FIFA reacts. I really think there's very little point in England doing anything FIFA demands if it'll hold our country back as a footballing nation now.

Given what FIFA has been exposed as, you really have to ask the question whether England actually want another World Cup when it means dealing with such a stinking organisation.

The idea that some club sides could beat most or all national teams is not a new one. You could have said the same of Italian sides with all the money in the 80s and 90s or Spanish sides in the early 2000s and Barcelona at the moment. That should not be an issue. What matters is fit and proper governance of the game. The English FA is not perfect in that respect, but everyone knows it is a model of outstanding management compared to FIFA.

Just for your information, until the mid 1990's all leagues in Europe worked with a limit of 3 foreign (not non-EU) players on the squad. Up to then, it was virtually impossible for a club to produce a team as strong or stronger than the top national teams. This situation created a limit for the economic power of a given club to become supremacy. Since the Bosman decision, though, everything was turned upside down. It has concentrated the power in a few big European clubs, turning most of the European leagues and even the UEFA Champions League in highly predictable tournaments. Traditional European powerhouses like Ajax have disappeared, while titles and power have been concentrated in the top Spanish, Italian and English clubs, like never before. Up to the mid-90's having Blackburn Rovers, Deportivo La Coruña or Sampdoria winning the league or Red Star Belgrade winning the UCL was a regular.

Even the frenesi over giving European citizenship to foreign players is a result of this mess. Before, a player would have the same rights to acquire foreign citizenship, but it would only grant him the right to play in that specific country. Now, if a Brazilian or an Argentinian acquire the Italian citizenship, they can play everywhere in the EU, without threatening the non-EU quota.

So, if you consider my position completely off go research about the 5+6 rule that FIFA wants UEFA to impose to its members. Platini's election has to do with this proposal and that's why FIFA backs him. Besides, he wants to impose spending limits to all clubs. This would restore normality to football world.

If you think I am talking rubbish, go research where the best football players of the World Cup played and you are going to see how this thing is narrowing down. If you looked at the top teams, most of them would be playing in several different countries and teams, with a slight concentration in Italy, though spread around the league.