Sign in to follow this  
Guardian

England 2018- World Cup Bid

Well, I know we're talking about England's possible bid, but if you're going to talk about having plenty of stadiums with at least 40,000 seats...the United States has 93 stadiums in reasonable locations (an unreasonable location would be south dakota or something like that), with soccer-appropriate surfaces that hold at least 40,000 fans.  Now, some of those wouldn't be used, but I'd say it's safe to say that there are nineteen stadiums alone of the NFL that can be used for soccer, and many are for the MLS.  That doeesn't count the others, such as the Rose Bowl, LA Colisseum, Michigan Stadium, etc., that are among the largest in the country.  

I can't help but wish for another USA cup, can I?  

On the subject of England, it'd be a great host; there's no denying that.

I think the USA would stand a good chance of hosting the world cup again, if FIFA decides that 2018/ 2022 etc, must be held in North America (as they decided 2010 would definetly be held in Africa, 2014 in South America)

Mexico have already hosted the tournament twice- 1970, 1986. Canada have never qualifed, and also at prsesnt they do not have many existing stadia- so a lot of work and building would be needed for them to host. (But then again, Japan and South Korea build the majority of their 2002 stadia from scratch, and also Canada have never hosted, so you never know...)

But if the USA does host again, then I think the final should be held in the refurbished Los Angeles coliseum, which you can see pictures of at the following links:

http://www.modelworksinc.com/coliseum.html

http://www.sfo.com/~csuppes/NCAA/Pac10/ind...SC/newindex.htm

WROOONG!!!!

Canada qualified to the World Cup of Mexico in 1986.

In the Group 2, Canada defeated Haiti (2-0 in Victoria, and 0-2 in Port-au-Prince) and Guatemala (2-1 in Victoria, and 1-1 in Guatemala City). Then, they defeated the leaders of the other 2 groups: Honduras and Costarrica. Canada draw with Costarrica in Toronto 1-1, then they defeated in Tegucigalpa to Honduras 0-1. In San José, they draw 0-0 and then they qualified winning over Honduras 2-1 in Saint John's.

But in Mexico they have problems. They get the last place in the WC after they lost their three matches: Soviet Union (0-2), Hungary (0-2) and France (0-1)

Surely Oceania (aka Australia) would host before North America.

I'd love to see it, but realistically I'd rate Oz's chances about on par with canada _ slim.

Anyway, if Australia's attempt to defect to the ASian confederation succeeds, it would probably fight China for the region's next hosting.

That's assuming, of course, that rotation survives. I have strong doubts that that is the case.

Surely Oceania (aka Australia) would host before North America.

I'd love to see it, but realistically I'd rate Oz's chances about on par with canada _ slim.

Anyway, if Australia's attempt to defect to the ASian confederation succeeds, it would probably fight China for the region's next hosting.

That's assuming, of course, that rotation survives. I have strong doubts that that is the case.

Who knows. At least, Australia has a better world ranking than Canada, if that really means much nowadays.

I think FIFA would probably go for China in that case, as it's bigger market. I guess promoting the game further in a country with 1.3 billion population would be more attractive to them

I think a world cup in oz would be a great spectacle, if a bit hot for some of the European teams.

That's another issue.

When would Australia plan to host the tournament?

Would it be in their summer ie. November/ December (in which case it would be very hot), or would it be somewhere in July-September? (in which case it isn't really that hot).

If it was in November/ December, some people may not be happy about such off-season dates.

What are the tournament dates for South Africa 2010?

I think a world cup in oz would be a great spectacle, if a bit hot for some of the European teams.

That's another issue.

Would it be in their summer ie. November/ December (in which case it would be very hot), or would it be somewhere in July-September? (in which case it isn't really that hot).

If it was in November/ December, some people may not be happy about such off-season dates.

I think a worst problem will be the hours when the times will be played. I remember Korea Japan with matches at 3.00 am and the final match at 6.00 am. But with a WC in September or Octuber, I don't think European people will have any problems.

I don't know about the dates of SA 2010. Anyway, when the WC was played in the Southern Hemisphere, it happened in June (Chile 1962) or July (Uruguay 1930, Brazil 1950 and Argentina 1978)

That's another issue.

I would assume if, and that's a big if, Australia ever got to host the WC, it would fit it in to suit the international football calendar _ it, probably in Southern winter, June or July.

The South Africa question is a good one. I've never been able to dig out the dates, and I've been searching.

i think there is no doubt about the quality of the stadium in England

the question is just when will the FIFA come back to europe with the WC

if they really want the rotation

then it would be not before 2022 or even 2026 for England

2006 - Germany(Europe)

2010 - SouthAfria (Africa)

2012 - SouthAmerica

2018 - ????

(with rotation Asia/Australia and North America would be before europe)

so we have to wait what FIFA is doing

The South Africa question is a good one. I've never been able to dig out the dates, and I've been searching.

Yeah, for 2010, I've heard the June-July period but I haven't actually seen in on the 2010 webpage.  Maybe RSA will spring a surprise and call it when their team is fittest and not everybody else??  But it would make sense to keep it in June-July, not only due to the European football calendar, but also the TV contracts would've been negotiated with those dates in mind.

I agree with Robert. I don't believe FIFA will make 4 WC without Europe. The idea of rotation is bring to all the continents the WC. After 2010, except Oceania, all the continents will host the WC. I believe the rotation idea is America-Europe-Others with Southamerica (probably Brazil) in 2014, Europe in 2018 (England, Spain, Netherlands) and other countries (Australia, China, Malaysia) in 2022, and then back to America (USA, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Colombia) in 2026.

Even if continental rotation becomes a long-term concept, I can see the World Cup back in Europe every 12 years. Every eight years would be too soon and 20 is too long.

Speaking of Sepp Blatter, how long has he been FIFA president now? If he resigns or gets elected out and FIFA gets a new person in charge, how long would this idea of "continental rotation" lasts?

Same here- I've looked at lot of 2010 world cup sites (probably the wrong ones), but still haven't found any dates for the competition.

I'm sure someone from South Africa will probably know the answer.

Thats why sometime in 2001, maybe even early 2002, there was talk of Japan/ South Korea pulling out as the 2002 hosts (obviously this rumour was total rubbish).

Nevertheless, England said it would be host the contest at short notice, if needed.

Wembley Stadium 90 000

Twickenham 82 000

Old Trafford 76 000

Emirates Stadium 60 000

New Birmingham City Stadium 60 000

St. James's Park 56 000

Stanley Park 55 000

Villa Park 51 000

Stadium of Light 48 300

City of Manchester Stadium 48 000  

Stamford Bridge 42 449 (I'm sure this will be upgraded soon)

Elland Road 40 204

Goodison Park 40 200

Looks good in terms of stadiums, but Fifa would probably have an issue with 4 London stadiums, and I imagine that the FA would be under pressure to spread the tournament out, a la Euro96, so I imagine a more likely spread would be something like this, with 6 regional centres of a large stadium plus a smaller stadium:

London - Wembley & Emirates Stadium (both North London and commercially Twickenham would be better - or even the London Olympic Stadium if you don't believe the post-Games use downscaling story - but David Dein of Arsenal is a strong voice within the FA)

Birmingham - Villa Park and the new Birmingham City Stadium (any idea when/ if this will be built?)

Manchester - Old Trafford (post-extension) & City of Manchester

Liverpool - Stanley Park (if it's built) plus Everton's future stadium (assuming they don't share)

Yorkshire - a specially upgraded Elland Road (assuming they don't choose to move) plus a new Sheffield Stadium, specially built for the world cup and used by one or both of the Sheffield teams tereafter

Northeast - St James & City of Light

So, on the basis of that plan, we'd be looking at a few brand new stadia, plus major upgrades to existing ones, with geographical considerations cutting out the likes of Stamford Bridge. But I'd still bet on the Olympic Stadium being considered (if London wins 2012)

I am intrigued by the idea of the new stadium for Birmingham - supposedly it would host football and test cricket and be large enough to fit an athletics track should they ever bid for a Commonwealths or IAAF, etc. I am imagining a Brummy MCG. Anyone seen any plans?

I am intrigued by the idea of the new stadium for Birmingham - supposedly it would host football and test cricket and be large enough to fit an athletics track should they ever bid for a Commonwealths or IAAF, etc. I am imagining a Brummy MCG. Anyone seen any plans?

The Birmingham city stadium is going to 60-70,000 seater stadium, with retractable roof, based on the Telstra Dome (Melbourne, Aus), but the designers have said it will be "more technologically advanced."

To see pictures of what it will look like, the following links may help:

http://www.scrum.com/rugbyworldcup/rugby_w...telstradome.asp

http://www.gomelbournecity.com/melbour....451.asp

With Birmingham City football club looking set to stay in the premiership the likehood of this new stadium being built is increasing fast.

The stadium would be used frequently to host football games, cricket matches and used for IAAF world athletics championship bid and CG bids

I doubt FIFA would accept more than two stadia in each city.

If such a rule were to be put in place, then I predict that London would use Wembley (of course), and the Emirates Stadium. Twickenham would not be used, in that case.

I would think so, unless another, bigger stadium, perhaps a redeveloped Stamford Bridge, is also avaliable.