England 2018- World Cup Bid

Guardian

PLANNING APPLICATION SUBMITTED - NEW SINGLE TIER STAND FOR SPURS STADIUM

• Inclusion of new 63 row single-tier stand responds to Club desire to create the most atmospheric stadium in Europe
  • Planning application lodged with Haringey Council for a world class stadium, public square, hotel, supermarket, homes and space for the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation
  • Delivered on the current site and adjacent land, ending concerns about a move out of the Borough with no need for even a temporary move during construction
  • Major investment into North Tottenham to provide a huge boost to the area
  • A flagship for the wider regeneration of the area

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club today confirmed that the Northumberland Development Project planning application has this week been submitted to the London Borough of Haringey. The move marks a major milestone in the delivery of the Club’s regeneration proposals and the final plans include one further major improvement to the Stadium design – the inclusion of a single tier stand.

nd8qwh.jpg

How impressive is this?!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PLANNING APPLICATION SUBMITTED - NEW SINGLE TIER STAND FOR SPURS STADIUM

• Inclusion of new 63 row single-tier stand responds to Club desire to create the most atmospheric stadium in Europe
  • Planning application lodged with Haringey Council for a world class stadium, public square, hotel, supermarket, homes and space for the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation
  • Delivered on the current site and adjacent land, ending concerns about a move out of the Borough with no need for even a temporary move during construction
  • Major investment into North Tottenham to provide a huge boost to the area
  • A flagship for the wider regeneration of the area

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club today confirmed that the Northumberland Development Project planning application has this week been submitted to the London Borough of Haringey. The move marks a major milestone in the delivery of the Club’s regeneration proposals and the final plans include one further major improvement to the Stadium design – the inclusion of a single tier stand.

nd8qwh.jpg

So Rob why is it that this proposed stadium seems shoe horned for space outside the outer walls of the Stadium . Isn't lack of exterior space that hold Emirates Stadium possibly from not being included in the England 2018-2022 mix ? England has that odd thing going on . Stadiums with too few seats in many cases , Pitches that are among the best in the world , that is a given and then a place like Emirates that has the Seating capacity but not the exterior property for what Fifa requires of a World Cup finals.

John Obi Mikel (Nigeria), John Terry, Joseph Yobo (Nigeria), Kanu (Nigeria) As bid ambassadors hey maybe they can carry the message back from Dr Amous Adamu . His vote for England to host either the 2018 or 2022 world cup in exchange for Seb Coe to lobby the 7 Commonwealth Games votes from the UK to be placed with Abuja 2018 . Otherwise I am sure Frank Lowy can pull the stings to axe Gold coast out of the 2018 bid. Lowy could probably talk with the Kiwi's to whether they would like some 2018 sides having friendlies in New Zealand as well.

jim jones

ehyr0j.jpg

107nvwk.jpg

10wlg6s.jpg

How impressive is this?!!

so why is it that this proposed TottenHam Stadium is shoe horned into a piece of Land Rob . Is this not the problem Emirates seems to have that may indeed ironically leave one of Englands Newest stadiums off the list ?

John Obi Mikel (Nigeria), John Terry, Joseph Yobo (Nigeria), Kanu (Nigeria) being bid ambassadors for England 2018 should be good after all England 2018 was to get in touch with Dr Amous Adamu a nigerian somehow to prevent his vote going to Australia to eliminate a 2018 commonwealth games potential candidate city .

Jim jones

I'm sure other bids will probably have Nigerian ambassadors as well. If those players were playing in Spain, no doubt they'd be backing the Spanish bid instead. It's just the way of things. But it's a healthy enough list which other bids will do well to match (I suspect the Spain/Portugal list will be as good actually).

------

WHL will be smaller than the Emirates in terms of capacity so may not make the final list of stadiums if England wins 2018; though it is on the shortlist being submitted to FIFA. Not that it really matters to me either way to be honest. It's being "shoehorned" so it's still in Tottenham (in fact, it overlaps the current stadium which will be dismantled at the same time this one is built). It's not in the middle of nowhere off some motorway junction; it's exactly where the club have been for the last 100 odd years. That matters, and isn't something the club would want to change for the hypothetical prospect of one or two world cup games in 9 years time!

The big change to this proposal from the earlier ones is the inclusion of a single tier stand at one end. The location and the basic design has been known for at least a year (and was discussed earlier in the thread). The decision to build a kop stand, rather than having a bowl with three tiers all the way around is what is new, and what is fantastic about this, and was the real reason I posted these new images...

A bit more info:

Spurs submitted their planning application to Haringey council on Monday and hope to be in a position to start building in the new year...

Spurs intend to move into the partially-built new stadium for the start of the 2012-13 season, with the final 56,250-seat venue ready for the following campaign, a club spokesman told BBC Sport.

Link

I'm sure other bids will probably have Nigerian ambassadors as well. If those players were playing in Spain, no doubt they'd be backing the Spanish bid instead. It's just the way of things. But it's a healthy enough list which other bids will do well to match (I suspect the Spain/Portugal list will be as good actually).

------

WHL will be smaller than the Emirates in terms of capacity so may not make the final list of stadiums if England wins 2018; though it is on the shortlist being submitted to FIFA. Not that it really matters to me either way to be honest. It's being "shoehorned" so it's still in Tottenham (in fact, it overlaps the current stadium which will be dismantled at the same time this one is built). It's not in the middle of nowhere off some motorway junction; it's exactly where the club have been for the last 100 odd years. That matters, and isn't something the club would want to change for the hypothetical prospect of one or two world cup games in 9 years time!

The big change to this proposal from the earlier ones is the inclusion of a single tier stand at one end. The location and the basic design has been known for at least a year (and was discussed earlier in the thread). The decision to build a kop stand, rather than having a bowl with three tiers all the way around is what is new, and what is fantastic about this, and was the real reason I posted these new images...

basically the problem it seems rob is the Availability of Land to keep a Club's Stadium in the same district of London ? that is understandable . I can see where Fifa is desiring the 2012 stadium simply because it can fit with what they require on the outside of the stadium if the stands are kept up until 2018 .

Clubs in England it would seem are not building to host the World Cup but to just attend to their needs which of course are longer term.

Jim jones

Is it just me or does England have this one in the bag? It seemed ever since Germany got 2006 the feeling was that the next European WC would be in England. FIFA dropping rotation set Europe up for 2018 and logic tells me that England is the frontrunner by miles. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rantings and ravings of Jack Warner and the like, he likes his bit of media attention.

Is it just me or does England have this one in the bag? It seemed ever since Germany got 2006 the feeling was that the next European WC would be in England. FIFA dropping rotation set Europe up for 2018 and logic tells me that England is the frontrunner by miles. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the rantings and ravings of Jack Warner and the like, he likes his bit of media attention.

That would depend on the FA and the Premiership clubs playing under the FIFA conditions: accepting salary caps, reducing the number of foreigners or other measures to reduce the concentration of players and economic powers in a few clubs from a few leagues.

Once they accept it, it is for them to lose.

If Spurs can somehow accommodate all of FIFA's space requirements around the venue it would certainly be a superior site to Emirates cramped surroundings.

Twickenham though still presents maximum value for money and a much better World Cup option.

I would assume Russia's candidacy.

Partly, yes. Though, I'd say Spain has a very good chance, too.

Recent events would indicate England 2018 is in a bit of trouble. Jack Warner's criticism must have hurt and I found the giving of designer bags (though not outside the rules) a little distasteful.

Warner is an idiot. It's incredibly unfortunate that England and the other bids have to grovel to him for their votes, and it must be hard to have to take on board constructive criticism from a man with his history. The handbag thing was akward and clumsy - the fact that a bigger fuss wasn't made suggests that it wasn't an unusual thing to have done though. It seems to me FIFA are now where the IOC were a decade or so ago in terms of how they run their bidding process.

I agree, England does seem to be going through a little bit of a shaky patch. But it's technically as strong as ever, and I think almost every other bidding nation would swap places with England right now. Our odds are drifting a bit, but we're still favourites I think.

Warner is an idiot.

Same could be said about Sepp Blatter. But its these 'idiots' that will decide the outcome of this race. That's why I'm suggesting England's bid is far from certain. The FIFA bidding process is dire, then when you have a Bipolar President... you can't wish for a decent process.

Whoever can persuade the most idiots, will be the host country. Good luck to them all.

FIFA is very predictable. I still think that England has this bid on their way if they play the FIFA game. However, the top Premiership teams might not like it. i think any criticism like these are just about FIFA trying to make England's victory to seem more palatable. I think Russia is the second force and Spain is the dark horse. The others don't have a shot for 2018.

It is England to lose and Sepp Blatter will blow the Russian baloon all the way, but will maneuver to take it to England.

I think as long as Spain continues with this joint bid nonsense with Portugal they are out of the running. A Russian bid has intrinsic difficulties wrt travel between venues, tourism infrastructure etc. So i think technically their bid would be weaker than an England bid, but of course this being FIFA who knows what they will base their criteria on. I wonder if European members consider Russia as European or view them as a different grouping? Both Russia and England has a FIFA exco member so both will be able to work behind the scenes. I think as long as England keeps their head down and gets on with the work it should be plain sailing. And it seems that the likes of FIFA (and even the IOC) always play up the competition in their bidding races, the media buys into it because they don't bother to research things decently and FIFA gets more publicity out of it. Samaranch started it in the 80's, quite smart, make the bid a TV event in itself, get more coverage for yourself and FIFA has bought into it too. But reality is that the outcome of the bidding race is already decided, or at least narrowed down to 2 possibilities.

Archived