2nd to the S-Olympics, which meet has the most

So far, we know:

Olympics - 200+ nations

All-Africa Games - 50 or 52 (est.)

IberoAmericana Games - 26 or 27 nations

Asian Games - 40 or so?

PanAmerican Games - 36 or so (est.)

Commonwealth Games -???

So, who can come up with ACCURATE figures?  And these are multi-discipline Games (not World Championships or the World Cup).

Commonwealth Games has 72 (might be 71 now that Zimbabwe has buggered off).

What about the Winter Olympics - thats about 80 odd isn't it?

Zimbabwe hasn't offcially left the Commonwealth Games Association, its membership still stands. It's been suspended from CHOGHAM, a different organisation.

It's a real pity Hong Kong left just before KL98. It would be good if China had some part in re-establishing a Chinese Hong Kong team, but its doubtful.

OK, so here are the results (and there will always be variances of 1 or 2, e.g. Israel is technically Asia but in included in the European grouping, for obvious reasons):

1.  Biggest - Summer Olympics  (I don't really count the WInter Games because that's just like a spin-off of SOG) - 202, as of last count

2.  Commonwealth - (72) -give or take 1 or 2

3.  All Africa Games - 53

4.  Asian Games - (47) or 46 minus Israel

5.  PanAmerican Games - 35

6.  IberoAmerican Games - 26 or 27

no Francophone (or former French Empire) Games -??

Are we taling just multi sport events?

If so then the medeteranian Games should be included...and the Universiade.

I suspect the Universiade is the 2nd biggest in terms of no. of participating countries.

Ripley wrote:

If so then the medeteranian Games should be included...and the Universiade.

I suspect the Universiade is the 2nd biggest in terms of no. of participating countries.

Very good, Ripley.  Yes, these are multi-discipline Games.

Can you find # of countries (approximately is good enuf since they chagne every year) for these?  And by the Universiade, you mean the World University Games?

Yes Ripley, very good. This topic has re-appeared on several occasions.

The World University Games are the next largest games in terms of number of nations represented.

See FISU Statistics page

Here are the largest games: (Source Encyclopedia of International Games, up to 2000)  Federations and organizing bodies for figures after 2000.

Listed: Games, city, nation, year ,# of nations represented.

Olympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000, 199

Olympic Games, Atlanta, USA, 1996, 197

World University Games, Daegu, Korea, 2003, 174

Olympic Games, Barcelona, Spain, 1992, 172

Special Olympics World Summer Games, Dublin, Ireland, 2003, 166

World University Games, Beijing, China, 2001, 165

World University Games, Fukuoka, Japan, 1995, 162

Olympic Games, Seoul, South Korea, 1988, 160

Special Olympics World Summer Games, Raleigh-Durham, USA, 1999, 147

World Scholar Athlete Games, Newport, RI, USA, 1997, 147

Olympic Games, Los Angeles, USA, 1984, 141

Special Olympics World Summer Games, New Haven, USA, 1995, 140

World Youth Games, Moscow, Russia, 1998, 130

World University Games, Sicily, Italy, 1997, 124

Olympic Games, Munich, Germany, 1972, 122

World University Games, Zagreb, Yugoslavia, 1987, 122

World University Games, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 1999, 122

Paralympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000, 122

Paralympic Games, Atlanta, USA, 1996, 120

World University Games, Buffalo, USA, 1993, 117

Olympic Games, Mexico City, Mexico, 1968, 112

World Scholar Athlete Games, Newport, RI, USA, 1993, 109

World University Games, Kobe, Japan, 1985, 106

World Masters Games, Portland, USA, 1998, 102

World University Games, Sheffield, England, 1991, 101

Special Olympics World Summer Games, Minneapolis, USA, 1991, 100

The Mediterranean games are quite small in terms of number of nations. Only 23 nations competed in 2001, the largest number ever to have been at those games.

So far, we know:

Olympics - 200+ nations

All-Africa Games - 50 or 52 (est.)

IberoAmericana Games - 26 or 27 nations

Asian Games - 40 or so?

PanAmerican Games - 36 or so (est.)

Commonwealth Games -???

So, who can come up with ACCURATE figures?  And these are multi-discipline Games (not World Championships or the World Cup).

btw, the Ibero-American games, (unless someone has different information) have always been a track and field/athletics only competition.  The 11th edition just finished last week.

OK, bean-counters, it looks like here is our joint compilation so far:

1.  Summer Olympics - 202 member nations, as of last count;

(Winter - 80 nations, Salt Lake)

2.  Universiade (or WUG) - 174 nations, last attendance

3.  Special Olympics - 166

4.  Commonwealth Games - (72) -give or take 1 or 2

5.  Jeux de la Franocphonie - 56 pays

6.  All-Africa Games - 53

7.  Asian Games - (47) or 46 minus Israel

8.  PanAmerican Games - 42

(regional, rather than continental - Mediterranean Games - 23.

Thanks to one and all's contributions!!  Eat your heart out, David Wallachinsky!!

I guess we could have considered the "now gone" Goodwill Games.  But alas...they are now gone, and should be.  They really didn't serve any purpose.

I am also sure that there are some organizations that run their World Championships that include almost every country as well.  These are not multi-sport events but still get alot of interest, participation and viewing (Soccer, track and field, etc.)

What about the Gay Games?  Participation is high, but not as many countries.

Gay Games Sydney 2002 had approx 11,000 participants (more than the Olympics!), representing about 70 countries (sorry these are approximate _ the Sydney 2002 website's closed now, and these are the best figures that the Gay Games Federation website gives).

I guess we could have considered the "now gone" Goodwill Games.  But alas...they are now gone, and should be.  They really didn't serve any purpose.

I am also sure that there are some organizations that run their World Championships that include almost every country as well.  These are not multi-sport events but still get alot of interest, participation and viewing (Soccer, track and field, etc.)

What about the Gay Games?  Participation is high, but not as many countries.

I think the people of Moscow, Seattle, St. Petersburg and New York, would disagree.

Three of those four cities have used their experiences with the Goodwill Games to reason in part for Olympic bids.

Ted Turner would most certainly disagree, saying that the games helped bring a close to the Cold War.

The Goodwill Games got smaller as time went on, the largest in terms of participating nations was the first, in Moscow in 1986, with 79 nations. (from Encyclopedia of International Games)

Prior to the 2002 Gay Games in Sydney, organizers said that 67 nations had registered.  Organization was pretty chaotic for those games, they almost didn't come off because of financial difficulties.  I don't know if they ever published a final figure, so 70 as mentioned above, is probably an accurate enough estimate for the purposes of this discussion.

The Francophone Games, the site referenced

http://jeux.francophonie.org/country_index.jsp

indicates that there are 56 nations in the "communauté solidaire", but the line above states that only 39 nations had registered for the games.

I reply again.  The Goodwill Games really served NO purpose.

Ted Turner??? Who cares!!!!  There are people with money all over the world that do "foolish" things with it.

Anyone that thinks that having the Goodwill Games ended the "Cold War" is missing something upstairs!!!!  The Berlin Wall did not come down because of the Goodwill Games.  Democracy did not happen in Eastern Europe because of the GG.  Nor did the former Soviet Union break up because of the GG.  The GG would not have been in the list for the governments of those countries to return or establish a democracy.  "Gee.... Let's all turn around our way of life because of the GG"  Get Real!!!

There are still countries that favor communism, dictatorships and fascist rule.  I guess we should return to the GG so that we can change their way of thinking too.  I am sure that those countries would jump right on board.

The GG were just another attempt to make money!!!(although, not a bad idea at their inception). When they didn't turn a profit... or in this case, when they turned a significant loss... they were shut down.  Welcome to democracy.  There's a great message to send.

Ted Turner would most certainly disagree, saying that the games helped bring a close to the Cold War.

Sure, but Turner has an enormous ego.

Yeah. Let's sell his share to the TW empire.

I reply again.  The Goodwill Games really served NO purpose.

Ted Turner??? Who cares!!!!  There are people with money all over the world that do "foolish" things with it.

Anyone that thinks that having the Goodwill Games ended the "Cold War" is missing something upstairs!!!!  The Berlin Wall did not come down because of the Goodwill Games.  Democracy did not happen in Eastern Europe because of the GG.  Nor did the former Soviet Union break up because of the GG.  The GG would not have been in the list for the governments of those countries to return or establish a democracy.  "Gee.... Let's all turn around our way of life because of the GG"  Get Real!!!

There are still countries that favor communism, dictatorships and fascist rule.  I guess we should return to the GG so that we can change their way of thinking too.  I am sure that those countries would jump right on board.

The GG were just another attempt to make money!!!(although, not a bad idea at their inception). When they didn't turn a profit... or in this case, when they turned a significant loss... they were shut down.  Welcome to democracy.  There's a great message to send.

Clearly, you have not studied your Goodwill Games history, nor are you familiar with either the written or spoken words of Ted Turner relating to the Goodwill Games financing or purpose.

To think that Ted Turner began the games to turn a profit, is to be wholly ignorant of the history of the games. The written literature, which you clearly have not been exposed to, makes an emphatic opposite statement to this assertion.

One can dispute the effect of the Goodwill Games, I certainly do. Gorbachev, Reagan, the Pope, Ted Turner with his Games, all claim or claimed that they had more to do with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union than they actually did.  I'm not claiming the Goodwill Games did what Ted Turner says they did. I'm stating that Turner would emphatically disagree with you on the purpose of the Goodwill Games, that you claim had no purpose at all.

As far as the significance of the Goodwill Games, however large or small, world records were set, several significant athletes had their first international experiences at the Goodwill Games, long-lasting and still ongoing friendships developed between citizens of the United States and the Soviet Union. Business, art and scientific contacts were established between participating cities, and citizens from the US and Soviet Union were allowed to travel to places that had otherwise been forbidden.  

Your disagreement is certainly not with me, but with the statements made by Mr. Turner before during and after the the Games.

OK, this would seem to be our latest tally based on last set of extant Games, and no. of participating/recognized countries.  Does anyone know the Paralympics' attendance?

4.  the Paralympics - ???

5.  Commonwealth Games - (72) -give or take 1 or 2

6.  Gay Games (70 - per Sydney attendance)

7.  Jeux de la Francophonie - 56 pays

8.  All-Africa Games - 53

9.  Asian Games - (47; or 46 minus Israel)

10.  PanAmerican Games - 42

The Goodwill Games are defunct, that is why I am not including them here.

OK, this would seem to be our latest tally based on last set of extant Games, and no. of participating/recognized countries.  Does anyone know the Paralympics' attendance?

Shouldn't we add to that list the Fifa's World Cup (around 170 nations, counting from the regional qualifiers) ?

Data from my original post included Paralympic Games figures:

with Athens added:

Listed: Games, city, nation, year ,# of nations represented.

Olympic Games, Athens, Greece, 2004, 202

Olympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000, 199

Olympic Games, Atlanta, USA, 1996, 197

World University Games, Daegu, Korea, 2003, 174

Olympic Games, Barcelona, Spain, 1992, 172

Special Olympics World Summer Games, Dublin, Ireland, 2003, 166

World University Games, Beijing, China, 2001, 165

World University Games, Fukuoka, Japan, 1995, 162

Olympic Games, Seoul, South Korea, 1988, 160

Special Olympics World Summer Games, Raleigh-Durham, USA, 1999, 147

World Scholar Athlete Games, Newport, RI, USA, 1997, 147

Olympic Games, Los Angeles, USA, 1984, 141

Special Olympics World Summer Games, New Haven, USA, 1995, 140

World Youth Games, Moscow, Russia, 1998, 130

World University Games, Sicily, Italy, 1997, 124

Olympic Games, Munich, Germany, 1972, 122

World University Games, Zagreb, Yugoslavia, 1987, 122

World University Games, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 1999, 122

Paralympic Games, Sydney, Australia, 2000, 122

Paralympic Games, Atlanta, USA, 1996, 120

World University Games, Buffalo, USA, 1993, 117

Olympic Games, Mexico City, Mexico, 1968, 112

World Scholar Athlete Games, Newport, RI, USA, 1993, 109

World University Games, Kobe, Japan, 1985, 106

World Masters Games, Portland, USA, 1998, 102

World University Games, Sheffield, England, 1991, 101

Special Olympics World Summer Games, Minneapolis, USA, 1991, 100

Rogelioandrade asked:  

Shouldn't we add to that list the Fifa's World Cup (around 170 nations, counting from the regional qualifiers) ?  

No, this list is for multi-sport international festivals at the adult level.  FIFA's World Cup is one sport.  

Thanks, Champion, missed those stats.  My eyes tend to glaze over long, long posts.

Archived