2009 World Fig Skating Championships

Only about a month to go before US Figure Skating chooses its entry for the 2009 World FS Championships.  Six or 7 cities are supposedly interested but the ones that have openly admitted to pursuing the honor are...drum roll, please...Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles and Spokane.  

(Personally, I would like to see Boston and Portland in there ... and if anything, New York or Chicago should go after it, too.  That's just like 6 months away from the Big Vote of 2009.)

Like Canada, the USA does get the World Figure Skating Championships once every couple of years. Of course, the ISU cannot overlook the depth of American figure skating. 2003 was the last time it was on US soil, so it could be pretty much its turn to host it in 2009.

Cleveland and Nashville seem to be the other 2.  But Spokane seems to be the hungriest for it.  Spokane is hosting the US Nationals next year -- and supposedly they have sold 80,000 tix for an event 10 months away.  

BTW, can anybody guess who this is?  

boxingtonya.jpg

A blessing from me for the correct answer.

most likely its between Los Angeles and Spokane. The last World in the US were held in the East coast so most likely its time for teh West Coast this time around. Depends as well on who they're up against.

It just seems wrong for it to be in LA, my guess would be Denver.

It may seem like that, Faster, but remember in 2001, they were supposed to have it in Brisbane (in their summer); and then it got trasnferred to another equally balmy city - Nice, France.  So, a lot of the officials' wives will be taken to Beverly Hills for shopping.  They'll be happy.

there's nothign wrong about World being held in LA. Remember, LA hosted a successfull US Championships in 2002. denver's last hosting of a mjor figure skating championships was back in 1988 when they hosted Nationals. In terms of facility both city has it but LA has the profile. But its a question of which city really wants and it looks like Spokane is that city rightn now.

I doubt this, but it makes me wonder if some over there in Spokane is still using the euphoria from Expo 1974 to woo US figure skating and the ISU to give it 2009. If I'm right, it is the smallest city ever to host a World's Fair at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

rumors are circulating that the city of Los Angeles will be the U.S. Candidate city to host the 2009 World Championships. The event will be held at the Staples Center.

That would be OK.  LA is a world-class city.  And that would be 17 years after the last West Coast location for a Worlds (in Oakland in 1992 -- wherein I helped, too).  

The Staples would be a state-of-the-art venue, and who knows, maybe they'll fill the 20,000 seating on the major nights.  But you'd have 3 major metro areas supporting it as well: the Bay Area and the San Diego-Tijuana (he-he) areas as well -- all within an hour's commute.  (Spokane had this absolute Minneapolis-complex.)

Guess we will find out which American city will be the candidate for this event and Spokane will NOT be one of them this week, I believe.

Archived