Cricket WC 2011

stevie

Australia and New Zealand today launched a joint bid for the Cricket World Cup in 2011 (I guess the bittnerness in NZ over Australia's support of Japan for Rugby WC 2011 is over).

India/Pakistan/Bangladesh are also launching a joint bid. I think I've also read that England is preparing to launch a bid. Can anyone confirm that?

SYDNEY, Feb 28, 2006 (AFP) - Australia and New Zealand will jointly bid to host the cricket World Cup in 2011, with matches held evenly in both countries but the host city of the final has yet to be decided, officials said Tuesday.

New Zealand Cricket and Cricket Australia officials finalised arrangements last week and presented the bid to the International Cricket Council in Dubai.

``We are confident that we have a world class bid,'' New Zealand Cricket chief executive Martin Snedden said.

``Both countries have the capability to host an outstanding event. We have fantastic venues, solid infrastructure and professional staff who are experienced in event management at the highest level.''

Snedden said New Zealand Cricket and Cricket Australia had a strong relationship and were prepared to work as partners to host the matches in February and March 2011.

``As part of that partnership we have agreed to a philosophy of sharing the matches evenly between the two countries with the location of the final yet to be decided,'' he said.

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said both countries had a proven track record in hosting world class sporting events.

``Our joint vision is to set new standards for the delivery and presentation of the cricket World Cup,'' he said.

Australia and New Zealand previously jointly hosted the ICC World Cup in  1992 when the final was held in the southern Australian city of Melbourne.

They will be up against a combined bid from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh when the host is announced at the ICC's annual conference in July.

AFP

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(I guess the bittnerness in NZ over Australia's support of Japan for Rugby WC 2011 is over).

Well not necessarily. NZ Rugby Union and the NZ Cricket Bored are completely different organizations. You will probably find the next time the ARU needs the support from the NZRU Australia might just get the finger. lol

:D SWEEEEEEEEET!

I can still remember the 1992 World Cup, and it was Awesome.!!!

New Zealand opened the event with the Australia v New Zealand match....

No one expected that result, and it set off what was one of the best attended World Cups yet!

Roll on 2011!!!

I think I've also read that England is preparing to launch a bid. Can anyone confirm that?

The England bid is for 2015, not 2011.

But under the rotation system, it's Australia and New Zealand's turn. So unless there is a bid from a new frontier, then Australia and NZ should get this tournament.

It would mean NZ hosting 2 world cups in the same year- Rugby world cup and Cricket world cup.

The Asian bid involves Sri Lanka as well as India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. It just sounds too big to me. India could host it on their own and Pakistan probably could at a push. I'd much rather have a Sri Lanka-Bangladesh joint bid.

Either way, I would think the MCG would instantly be pencilled in for the final. Sydney, Auckland, Christchurch and Brisbane would probably host most of the major matches.

What is Westpac Stadium like for cricket? In a joint bid, do you think the ACB would venture out to Adelaide, Perth or Hobart for matches? New Zealand + the Eastern Seaboard have more then enough venues as it is now and travelling between, say Perth-Auckland would cause major problems in match preparations.

I believe it is mentioned in other threads, though is a 20-20 Championship on the cards come 2011?

:) The MCG is the natural finals venue.

Eden park opened the 1992 World Cup BUT if developers get their way (hopefully) that ground will be rebuilt and preped as a rugby groud for RWC2011.

Wellington could host the opening, but I fear it will be far to small at only 35000.  I think the MCG or Sydney will open the Cup this time.

Anyway here are some of the NZ venues that could be considered...

Day/Night...

Seddon Park  Hamilton.

McLean Park Napier.

Owen Delaney Stadium Taupo.

Wespac Stadium Wellington.

Jade Christchurch.

Maybees...

Eden Park Auckland.

Carisbrooke Dunedin...although unlikely as they are turning this ground into rugby only.

Day

Basin Reserve, Wellington.

New Plymouth.

Nelson.

Lincoln University, Christchurch.

Logan Park, Dunedin.

Frankton, Queenstown.

Alexandra.

Queens Park, Invercargill.

what about Jade Stadium? it could hold the opening match, its going to hold 55,000 by 2011. Or Westpac Stadium in Wellington. 35,000 isn't too small for a cricket world cup, that oval in Johannesburg which held the 2003 final only had a capcity of 37,000.

I don’t see why anything larger then 30,000 would be needed for a cricket ground. It’s the perfect size, even for a World Cup final. The MCG and Calcutta are just exceptions (although the MCG is used for AFL which generally pulls larger crowds then cricket)

1. Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne

2. Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney

3. Gabba, Brisbane

4. Adelaide Oval, Adelaide

5. WACA Ground, Perth

6. Telstra Dome, Melbourne

7. Bellerive, Hobart

8. Jade Stadium, Christchurch

9. Westpac Stadium, Wellington

10. McLean Park, Napier.

11. Seddon Park, Hamilton

12. Eden Park, Auckland

Final at the MCG, Semi finals at Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland and Wellington. Peliminary Finals at Sydney, Melbourne (Telstra), Brisbane, Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland, Adelaide, Perth.

I think it'd be best if there was just one venue per city; ie noting at the Dome.

Final at the G, for sure, and split the other finals equally between Australia and New Zealand. More first round games in Australia, but not by too big a margin-have two zones each with two groups (there are four groups, right?); one zone qld-nsw-wa-sa; one vic-tas-nz, maybe? Each zone getting an equal number of games, with nz in a 'priviledged' position, getting one of the games that'd otherwise be in Tassie.

Opening in New Zealnd to make up for the bias in the first round and also the final.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, here seems to be the plan.

India/Pakistan/Bangladesh and Australia/NZ are the confirmed bidders for 2011.

The ICC has ruled that whoever loses that bid will host 2015.

England will then host 2015.

I suppose that ends a lot of the speculation here for the next decade or so.

NEW DELHI, April 17, 2006 (AFP) - South Asian cricket chiefs said Monday they were ``hugely'' optimistic that a joint bid by India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to host the 2011 World Cup would succeed.

The bid will be presented to the International Cricket Council (ICC) at its Dubai offices on Thursday, one day before the revised deadline set by the sport's world governing body.

``Everything is in place and we are hugely optimistic of taking the World Cup,'' Indian cricket board secretary Niranjan Shah said.

A rival bid by Australia and New Zealand has already been sumbitted to the ICC, which will discuss the two offers at a meeting of its Executive Board on April 30.

India and Pakistan have twice hosted the four-yearly World Cup: in 1987 by themselves and in 1996 with Sri Lanka.

Australia and New Zealand jointly organised the 1992 World Cup and say they have the right by rotation to host the mega-event in 2011.

But South Asia wants to host every third World Cup because four of the 10 Test-playing nations hail from the region, which is also the commercial powerhouse driving the sport.

The joint bid for the 2011 event proposes India hosting 22 matches, Pakistan 14, Sri Lanka nine and Bangladesh six, assuming there will be 51 games at the tournament.

Like in 1996, the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore has been put forward to organise the final while India will host the two semi-finals.

India's 22 matches would be held at its eight regular Test venues: Mumbai, New Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, Nagpur, Mohali and Ahmedabad.

Pakistan would use six venues in Lahore, Rawalpindi, Karachi, Peshawar, Multan and Faisalabad.

Sri Lanka would host all its matches at two venues in Colombo, the Premadasa Stadium and the Sinhalese Sports Club.

Bangladesh listed three venues -- the Bangabandhu National Stadium in Dhaka, the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur and the Narayanganj Osmani Stadium in Fatullah -- but might use only one.

The four nations want the ICC to place them in four different groups of the preliminary league so that they can play their initial matches at home.

The ICC has ruled that the bid which loses the right for the 2011 World Cup will host the next tournament in 2015.

England, which had initially bid for the 2015 event, will withdraw its offer and be awarded the right to host the 2019 tournament at the ICC's annual conference in July.

Of the eight World Cups so far, England hosted the first three in 1975,  1979 and 1983, and again in 1999. The other tournaments were organised by the Indian sub-continent (1987 and 1996), Australia and New Zealand (1992) and South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya (2003).

The next World Cup will be held in the Caribbean in March-April.

AFP

3. Gabba, Brisbane

5. WACA Ground, Perth

7. Bellerive, Hobart

What about Sydney's Telstra stadium?

There was a rumour going round a few years ago, when I last visited Sydney that the Telstra stadium from 2006 was going to be hosting cricket matches.

If this ever does come into fruitation, then there's another 83,000+ cricket stadium to add to the list of venues.

• 2 weeks later...

Twenty20 World Championship

South Africa to host inaugural Twenty20

Cricinfo staff

April 30, 2006

Click here for a list of all events awarded by the ICC

South Africa will host the inaugural Twenty20 World Championship in September next year, the ICC announced in Dubai. The tournament will feature 12 countries, including all 10 Test-playing countries, in a nine-day event.

"The members of the ICC board have embraced Twenty20 cricket while at the same time managing its growth," said Malcolm Speed, the ICC's chief executive. "South Africa has been an early-adopter of Twenty20 cricket and will be an excellent first venue for the Twenty20 World Championship."

England, who invented the format, will stage it in 2009, and the next event will be in 2012.

___

3. Gabba, Brisbane

5. WACA Ground, Perth

7. Bellerive, Hobart

What about Sydney's Telstra stadium?

There was a rumour going round a few years ago, when I last visited Sydney that the Telstra stadium from 2006 was going to be hosting cricket matches.

If this ever does come into fruitation, then there's another 83,000+ cricket stadium to add to the list of venues.

Telstra Stadium wouldnt be needed and is really too large for any match other than the final (which would be in Melbourne, not Sydney). To host the event we would not need two venues in Sydney, the only reason two would be nominated from Melbourne is so that the MCG only hosts the final, while Telstra Dome hosts all other peliminary matches.

Sydney would not fill 83,000seats many times throughout the championship. The SCG is more of a cricket stadium and is the perfect size.

Just in, the Asian combined bid has been successful in gaining the right to the 2011 Cricket World Cup. The late application of the host nations shocked many though the bid passed with flying colours. Australia and New Zealand have been given the rights to the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

The ICC has announced that India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will host the 2011 World Cup. Australia and New Zealand will stage 2015, with England getting the 2019 event.

England lands Cricket World Cup

:( The Anzac bid was probibly stymed by NZ's RWC2011 hosting win.

Coupled on top of the fact that the Asian Four IS the powerhouse of Cricket.

Sensibly the ICC has laid out the next twenty years, after England it obvious that South Africa will host 2023!

Archived