New Sochi Logo Leaked?

gotosy

I believe this is a new font, if you know otherwise please let me know what font it is. I think it is unique and designed with precision and creativity.

There are literally tens of thousands of fonts in existence. I don't know this by name, but it's certainly not original. :lol:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if it is original, it isn't original enough. It could be closely reproduced using any number of similar fonts. Beijing and Sydney had distinctive fonts.

But does it really have "shrinkability"? This is an elongated, rectangular spaced wordmark. The most shrinkable logos are simple square-ish or round shapes.

This doesn't shock or perplex me like the London or Vancouver logos did - London for its jarring arrangement, shape and colours, Vancouver for its tenuous local relevance. This just completely underwhelms me. I mean I look a this and think"so what?". It looks unfinished, with a sort of early stage bid logo quality, and I keep expecting a graphic element to pop up at any time.

And one final comment...why isn't it in Russian? These are Latin letters. Not Cyrillic. Shouldn't it be Сочи.2014?

Ive got to admit Im slightly bemussed, Londons logo has something, it has a personality, love it or hate it. The mexico games just had the mexico and the rings but that had a personality too.

I do think they are gonna get less flack than London though as London, did something bold and new and introduced a new concept, I think if this had been pre-London everyone would have been up in arms about it and more shocked.

I guess they are doing the same as London Launching it in its most simplist form with no infills, I think it needs to grow on me

And one final comment...why isn't it in Russian? These are Latin letters. Not Cyrillic. Shouldn't it be Сочи.2014?

Maybe they'll have a Cyrillic version, too. But they have to have one in Latin letters for the international marketing and the international audience. Athens main logo was in Latin letters, too. But they also had one with Greek letters.

Yes, but all the previous Olympics offered a graphic element that even without lettering was understood to represent those particular Games...their own Nike Swoosh, as it were. I know I'm going waaaaaaaay back here, but Montreal, for example, rarely used the "Montreal 1976" moniker. They mostly just used their emblem to speak for their Games.

From the live webcast -- these seem to have been some of the alternative logos in the design contest:

alternativelogosfrsochi.jpg

I like the third and the fourth from the left in the second row from above the best. Our "wreath of feathers" isn't listed.

I have to say, I like it, even by itself (which I didn't when I saw the fuzzy pic a few days ago).

It's a very well produced piece of word art. The elements of reflection between the o's, the 2 and the c and the s, and the h and i's are quite snowflake-esque in their multiple planes of symmetry. And it is clean and crisp and I would say quite wintery.

I think this could, or at least has the potential to be the best winter logo since Salt Lake if it's used wisely.

Good job Sochi. I wasn't expecting after seeing the fuzzy image to like it straight off when it was released officially, but I do.

One thing, I'm still not sure about the .ru and I think it'd look better without it. But I understand this is a long-term branding excersise for an upcoming region rather than branding for a one off event (which is what London's logo, for example, is about). I think after the Games the 2014 and Olympic rings will be dropped and the resort of Sochi will have its own brand which will, because of the Olympics, be recognised the world over. Clever stuff.

The organisers don't want to give an exact price for the logo -- but they say it cost less than London's logo (which cost 400,000 pounds).

IOC president hardly said anything -- after just a few words (calling the logo "amazing", if I recall correctly), he passed on to Jean-Claude Killy. Might it be that Rogge himself is not overly excited about the logo?

does it matter?

Well, he is the president of the International Olympic Committee which has to approve the logos for the editions of the Olympic Games. So it does matter a lot. But obviously, he and his colleagues approved this logo.

here's the official description of the new brand:

The Sochi 2014 emblem maintains a dialogue between the past and the future. Fusing various dimensions of Russian culture, the brand can promote several images of our vibrant country:

* A country rich in history, embarking on a successful future

* A country open to opportunities and the passion to make dreams a reality

* A country that is committed to equality and celebrates diversity.

The city of Sochi sits at the meeting point of the sea and the mountains. This is reflected in the Sochi 2014 emblem, which is like the sea acting as a mirror to reflect the mountains.

Sochi 2014’s inspirational new brand allows everyone across the world to see the Winter Games in Sochi as a celebration of opportunity: a chance for growth, transformation and personal fulfillment.

Sochi 2014 will be a Winter Games for the people; celebrating human excellence and aspiration.

The Sochi 2014 brand embraces change and encourages everyone to welcome development. It combines both function and the courage to try the new. It is a 21st Century brand for a digital generation.

exactly. and if he didn't like it yet it was approved - it never really mattered.

If you read my post #93, you'll see that he stated once more that he liked the logo. At least he stated it.

And I don't know why you start a quarrel about that now. You have to accept that not everyone is excited about that logo.

Archived