2) Germany

3) Turkey

4) South Korea

2006:

1) Italy

2) France

3) Germany

4) Portugal

Perhaps two (not so big) surprises? A chance of 1 in 6 to have a surprise... Of course there's a chance of Nigeria beeing WC Champions, but as I said, it would be a terrible bet... :P

Remember the chance for Greece to won Euro 2004 ? It's 1:88... And we knew the result... so that's what make football is a very interesting game...and for World Cup case, remember what North Korea done in 1966 ?? And now they on the group of death for next year tournament ?? Group G will be the most interesting group, and after that Group D and E :)

For Slovakia, South Africa 2010 is their first WC.... but, on the way to qualify to this tournament, they beat the favourite from Group 3.. Czech Republic, and also Poland, and they become the winner from group 3

Thanks for that info!

Nice group for us. A big game against the US to get us going. Both sets of fans should be up for that.

In order of difficulty:

• Italy, Spain and England should all top their groups fairly comfortably I'd think.
  • France have got lucky for the second time in a fortnight by drawing the only seeded team which should be easy to beat. If they get their act together they should top that group. Argentina are in a similar situation to France. Get their act together and they should top their group.
  • Germany and Holland should both qualify, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if either of them finish second to the African team in their group
  • Then there's Group G. Is Brazil's hardest task in this world cup going to be getting out of their group? You'd think they'd top it, but I wouldn't like to predict anything in that one.

I can't wait for this tournament. I've not felt this excited about a world cup...well, ever.

Great, I agree with you in almost all eveything, except that, for me in Group A I would predict Mexico and France, ´cause Mexico ALWAYS make it to the second round, even when playin in tough groups, like they did in 1994, 1998 and 2002..... never count Mexico out.

I think that the toughest groups are A and D. I don´t think that Brazil, Portugal and Cote d´ivore will meet a challenge with Korea PDR, so for me the group of death would be group A or D, where all teams have chances to qualify.

Of course more attention will be shifted to group G, with three strong teams, but I see a balanced competition in those groups, where spots for the 2nd round may be decided in goal difference....

anyway, we´re going to have an exciting competition. Can´t wait for the first whistle !

But South Africa is the host, and we will have the host factor, once like on Korea - Japan 2002, so instead of Mexico - France, if you think that Mexico will always pass the qualification group, it will be South Africa - Mexico, but for me it still France - South Africa :) Let's see what happen in July 11th, the opening match will decide what happen next , South Africa - Mexico for the opening match :)

New Zealand lost 4-3 to Italy in a Friendly earlier in the year.

Italy didn´t played their best this year. If they don´t improve, Paraguay has a good chance to finish the group on top. Paraguayan defense is quite strong, they will be a hard team to beat. I´m not sure about New Zealand chances, but if the kiwis manage a good game against Italy.... we may have a surprise. That friendly was a clue. Let´s see !

Does anyone believe a seeded team, besides SA, won't go through the first round as France and Argentina in 2002?

Some of seeded team is on though group, but South Africa is on the toughest group to chance, another seeded team that have little possibility to pass to the next round are : Argentina, Brazil

Remember the chance for Greece to won Euro 2004 ? It's 1:88... And we knew the result... so that's what make football is a very interesting game...and for World Cup case, remember what North Korea done in 1966 ?? And now they on the group of death for next year tournament ?? Group G will be the most interesting group, and after that Group D and E :)

Of course there will be surprises in isolated matches, but I don't believe in huge surprises for the last 4...

Euros have had two surprises already, Greece and Denmark. World Cups have no precedents... But of course it could happen! It would be fun if it happens! I could also find bar of gold on the pavement and would also be amazing! :P

But South Africa is the host, and we will have the host factor, once like on Korea - Japan 2002, so instead of Mexico - France, if you think that Mexico will always pass the qualification group, it will be South Africa - Mexico, but for me it still France - South Africa :) Let's see what happen in July 11th, the opening match will decide what happen next , South Africa - Mexico for the opening match :)

Ok. Sure Bafana Bafana will play with enthusiam.

Don´t you think that after all that France x Ireland talk.... wouldn´t it be funny to see France out right from the group stage ? :lol: :lol:

Don´t you think that after all that France x Ireland talk.... wouldn´t it be funny to see France out right from the group stage ? :lol::lol:

Yes, but I'd have said that even before the match in Paris ;)

Ok. Sure Bafana Bafana will play with enthusiam.

Don´t you think that after all that France x Ireland talk.... wouldn´t it be funny to see France out right from the group stage ? :lol: :lol:

Yup, France will have all eyes on them, and they must prove although they qualify via "the sequel of God of Hand" :P , they can play better on the final stage, that's why I put France and South Africa for Group A.

Does anyone believe a seeded team, besides SA, won't go through the first round as France and Argentina in 2002?

maybe South Africa....

ok, there´s always the host factor, as Tanaka pointed. But that will be a tough group for them. France and Uruguay - although struggling at the qualifiers - have some tradition that we must consider, and Mexico always plays World Cups with energy and enthusiasm. Italy also must keep their eyes open, if they play like they did in the Confederations Cup, they will surely be surprised.

Yup, France will have all eyes on them, and they must prove although they qualify via "the sequel of God of Hand" :P , they can play better on the final stage, that's why I put France and South Africa for Group A.

if would be ironic if France face Maradona's Argentina in round of 16

Here's my full (almost fully conservative) prediction:

1st Round:

1 - Mexico and France

2 - Argentina and Korea

3 - England and USA

4 - Germany and Australia

5 - Netherlands and Cameroon

6 - Paraguay and Italy

7 - Brazil and Côte d'Ivoire

8 - Spain and Switzerland

Last 16:

Mexico vs Korea - Mexico wins

England vs Australia - England wins

Netherlands vs Italy - Netherlands wins

Brazil vs Switzerland - Brazil wins

Argentina vs France - France wins

Germany vs USA - Germany wins

Paraguay vs Cameroon - Paraguay wins

Spain vs Côte d'Ivoire - Côte d'Ivoire wins

Quarter-finals:

Mexico vs England - England wins

Netherlands vs Brazil - Brazil wins

France vs Germany - Germany wins

Paraguay vs Côte d'Ivoire - Côte d'Ivoire wins

Semi-finals:

England vs Brazil - Brazil wins

Germany vs Côte d'Ivoire - Germany wins

Finals:

1st - Brazil

2nd - Germany

3rd - Côte d'Ivoire

4th- England

What do you think?

PS: Danny, feel free to disgree! ;)

My hopes:

Group A: Mexico, South Africa

Group B: South Korea, Nigeria

Group C: England, United States

Group D: Germany, Australia

Group E: Netherlands, Cameroon

Group F: Italy, Paraguay (c'mon New Zealand, though!)

Group G: Brazil, Ivory Coast

Group H: Spain, Chile

No favours for Australia there. I'm looking forward to the Durban match on June 14 though!
I bet CAF is as well :lol:

I just came back from Berlin - and I couldn't watch the draw, but in the morning I thought: please not AUSTRALIA!!!

Now I have problems to decide which team I should support in that match - of course Germany is my home, but I do love Australia...

I just came back from Berlin - and I couldn't watch the draw, but in the morning I thought: please not AUSTRALIA!!!

Now I have problems to decide which team I should support in that match - of course Germany is my home, but I do love Australia...

Mate, it's an honour for us that our opening match is against the Mannschaft.

Maybe i should send you a Socceroos jersey.

maybe South Africa....

ok, there´s always the host factor, as Tanaka pointed. But that will be a tough group for them. France and Uruguay - although struggling at the qualifiers - have some tradition that we must consider, and Mexico always plays World Cups with energy and enthusiasm. Italy also must keep their eyes open, if they play like they did in the Confederations Cup, they will surely be surprised.

Germany has a pretty tough group.

Mate, it's an honour for us that our opening match is against the Mannschaft.

Maybe i should send you a Socceroos jersey.

lol - maybe we should meet in Duran - I wear a Socceroos jersey and you the new German jersey (by the way today started the disposal of the German jersey and the official ball of the WC in South Africa) - the flag store of adidas in Berlin had a huge display area...

That is a very interesting draw result. I feared that there might be more real groups of death, but in fact, only group G seems really tough to me. And group A might be a group of death at least for the host country South Africa. But this is only how it looks today -- the reality next June might look completely different. Easy groups could become tough ones, and vice versa. Such is football! ;)

Now about the different groups in detail:

Group A As I said: This is a really, really tough one for the host country. But nevertheless, I wouldn't count them out. I'm really not sure about whether France will recover until the World Cup. Instead of them, South Africa could take the second ticket to the round of 16 -- while Mexico could rank first in the group. In terms of Uruguay, I'm pretty certain they won't reach the round of 16. So my prediction for group A is: 1. Mexico - 2. South Africa - 3. France - 4. Uruguay

Group B Quite a task for Argentina, but it should be a manageable task. Greece will be out but give the other teams at least a difficult time, and Nigeria will probably be stronger in the battle for the second rank against South Africa. Besides their playing level -- the World Cup is taking place in Africa, which will probably boost all African teams, not only South Africa. 1. Argentina - 2. Nigeria - 3. South Korea - 4. Greece

Group C Easy for England! The USA and Algeria will probably be the toughest opponents and either one might achieve a draw against England. But England will undeniably rank first, with a tough battle between USA and Algeria for the second rank. Advantage Algeria -- due to the reason mentioned above? No, in that case I rather see the advantage for the USA. So: 1. England - 2. USA - 3. Algeria - 4. Slovenia

Group D Well, well -- Germany had a lot of luck in many of its World Cup draws. This time, the lucky streak was slightly disrupted. All three teams are serious opponents. I even see them as equally dangerous for Germany. Australia wants to become a World Cup regular, and that it will want to prove in its opening match against Germany. Ghana is undeniably a strong team, as we could see in 2006. And Germany had a tough time against Serbia in its final test match for EURO 2008 (I was in the stadium back then). So it's a difficult group for Germany. Nevertheless, I expect them to reach the first rank but certainly not with three victories. Australia, Ghana and Serbia all will be tough contenders for the second rank. My prediction: 1. Germany - 2. Ghana - 3. Australia (but only very narrowly third) - 4. Serbia (but only very narrowly fourth)

Group E A nice one with probably very attractive matches between the Netherlands and Denmark, the Netherlands and Cameroon and Denmark and Cameroon. The Netherlands are the clear favourite for me. Cameroon should also make it to next round. 1. Netherlands - 2. Cameroon - 3. Denmark - 4. Japan

Group F Oh, come on! The Italians have even more luck than in my test draw. Unbelievable. So let me cut it short: 1. Italy (probably with three victories) - 2. Paraguay - 3. Slovakia - 4. New Zealand

Group G Unlike in 2006, Brazil really has to prove something already in the group stage. All three will be difficult opponents for them and all four teams could make it to the next round. Nevertheless, I think the race will be decided by the international experience (a disadvantage for North Korea) and the almost-"home factor" (a disadvantage for Portugal). So: 1. Brazil - 2. Cote d'Ivoire - 3. Portugal - 4. North Korea

Group H Easy for Spain. Three Spanish victories with Chile narrowly beating Switzerland for the second rank. 1. Spain - 2. Chile - 3. Switzerland - 4. Honduras

So my round of 16 would be (with the presumed winner in bold):

Mexico - Nigeria

Argentina - South Africa

England - Ghana

Germany - USA

Netherlands - Paraguay

Italy - Cameroon

Brazil - Chile

Spain - Cote d'Ivoire

The quarterfinals:

Nigeria - England

Argentina - Germany (hello again...)

Netherlands - Brazil

Cameroon - Spain

The semifinals:

England - Brazil

Germany - Spain

The final:

Brazil - Spain

But since I was pretty wrong in 2006 (predicting Germany would only reach the quarterfinal and Brazil would clearly win the title), it could be completely different and a "World Cup of surprises", just like in 2002.

Archived