Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rafa

2010 Fifa World Cup: Final Draw

The Draw is being televised live in New Zealand on Sky Sport!

What time is it on in our neck of the woods?

Well, it's at 5PM GMT I believe, and you're 11 hours ahead of London. So 4 in the morning by my reckoning.

Nice <_<

Chile risk FIFA ban over relegation issue

SANTIAGO - World Cup-bound Chile risk being thrown out of FIFA after local club Rangers sought to annul their relegation through the courts, Football Association (ANFP) president Harold Mayne-Nicholls said on Thursday.

A court in the city of Talca, where Rangers are based, has ordered the suspension of the promotion/relegation play-offs, prompting the ANFP to put this weekend's Clausura championship semi-finals on hold as well until the issue is resolved.

Rangers would have been in the playoffs had they not been automatically relegated after having three points docked for fielding too many foreign players in a match.

The ANFP reacted by suspending the Clausura championship semi-finals scheduled for this weekend and reporting the Rangers issue to world football's governing body FIFA, who do not approve of civil or government intervention in footballing matters.

"Those of us in the footballing world know that all this can bring consequences that can be lethal for Chilean football," Mayne-Nicholls said.

"What Rangers have done is prohibited in all the (football) associations in the world," he told the local radio station Agricultura. "FIFA could even disaffiliate Chile...

"According to similar procedures, they would ask us as a federation to disaffiliate Rangers or ask (the club) to forget the issue and follow football channels. If we don't do that, it will be Chile that's disaffiliated."

DOCKED POINTS

Rangers were docked points for having six foreigners on the field, one more than permitted, in the second half of their last match of the qualifying phase of the championship this month.

Rangers are clinging to a procedural loophole as a result of the impoverished club being in administration. The ANFP should have notified the administrators, and not the club's sporting authorities, of the team's relegation, the club argue.

"(They're looking) for the play-offs not to be held, for us to declare the season ended and so win time so we dock the points from them next season and so avoid relegation," said Mayne-Nicholls, who is in Paraguay for the draw for the 2010 Libertadores Cup, South America's premier club competition.

"So we have to suspend the whole championship until this is resolved," he added to explain why the ANFP had put a hold on the knockout rounds to decide the title. The semi-finals, which were scheduled for this weekend, were suspended on Wednesday.

The ANFP has called an urgent meeting of its council of (club) presidents for Monday.

"Please urge your association-affiliated club, Rangers, to withdraw the appeal before the ordinary courts of Chile within the next 72 hours, or otherwise... decide appropriate sanctions... in accordance with Article 64, sec. 3 of the FIFA statutes," the letter, signed by FIFA secretary general Markus Kattner, stated. "

FIFA's usual subtleness...

but we will have Chile in SA next year

Seems harsh, but it's not inconsistent. They've threatened the same with Iraq, as the government took control over the Iraqi FA. And they did the same with Poland a year or so ago under similar circumstances, a move which threatened to derail Euro 2012 - although the Poles prevented it ever getting that far.

FIFA don't like government control within nations' Football Associations, and that's fair enough. I'm sure Chile will sort themselves out.

I think we all knew that nothing would have happened... but... it was funny at least from my pov. Reading on Twitter plans of how to burn Talca or kill the leaders of Rangers if FIFA disqualified the national team were hilarious :D

In my opinion, FIFA and ANFP were totally right. Rangers did a stupid thing... again. They were stupid using 6 foreign players in the match where they were trying to stay at Primera División and more stupid to deny their own fault. For me, I was waiting ANFP to disband the team because what they did was totally uncomprehensible.

Anyway, that was a little story while we're waiting for the Final Draw ;)

It'll be very interesting if France get seeded into a group with Algeria. Riot police in Paris will have to be on extra alert on game day.

It'll be interesting if England are seeded into a group with Nigeria and Australia/or New Zealand. Granted there's different relationships there, not nearly as intense as France & Algeria, but it would be interesting to see the former colonies gang-up on mother England.

Well, it's at 5PM GMT I believe, and you're 11 hours ahead of London. So 4 in the morning by my reckoning.

Yea I think it is something like that time... I dont know if I will get up for it

It'll be very interesting if France get seeded into a group with Algeria. Riot police in Paris will have to be on extra alert on game day.

It'll be interesting if England are seeded into a group with Nigeria and Australia/or New Zealand. Granted there's different relationships there, not nearly as intense as France & Algeria, but it would be interesting to see the former colonies gang-up on mother England.

Its happened lots of times before

England - Trinidad and Tobago

Portugal - Angola

France - Togo

France - Senegal

Spain - Paraguay

Germany - Cameroon

England - Nigeria

Spain - Paraguay

Spain - Bolivia

Spain - Uruguay

England - Ireland

France - Canada

England - Kuwait

Portugal - Brazil

I'm personally hopping for North Korea and the United States in the same group ^^.

I think anyone of the non-seeded teams would be hoping that South Africa is their seeded team with a 1 in 4 change of getting either Portugal or Netherlands.

The Festive Lights switched on in Cape Town

Cape Town gets festive ahead of 2010 draw

Chantall Presence | 2 Hours Ago

The Mother City was abuzz with activity on Sunday night as the festive season lights were switched on amid much fanfare.

The 43rd annual switching on ceremony was seen a successful curtain raiser for the FIFA 2010 draw related activities.

The city was expected to come alive with official events for FIFA and its partners, as well as many parties happening on the sidelines.

Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato said the city was ready to both welcome special guests and give locals something to smile about.

“Capetonians can party. Why are you not here as yet to experience that? We are waiting for you; we would love to party with you. We are ready and we would love to accept you and welcome you in Cape Town.”

610x.jpg

I'm hoping for South Africa and New Zealand in the group... nothing personal :P

That would be ideal for New Zealand :)

100,000 descend on the Cape Town City Centre for the Festive Lights switch on

An estimate crowd of 100 000 people watched the firework display at the switching on of the festival lights as part of Fifa´s week ahead of the World Cup final draw in Cape Town

6132183_600x337.jpg

6132182_600x400.jpg

6132181_600x284.jpg

6132187_384x600.jpg

I'm personally hopping for North Korea and the United States in the same group ^^.

well, it would then NOT get shown on the Korean continent fer sure.

Cape Town jol rocks the city's streets

By NIKITA SYLVESTER

Central Cape Town rocked all night and into the early hours of this morning as an estimated 100 000 people enjoyed an early World Cup party during the official switching on of the city's Christmas lights.

Revellers swarmed into the CBD by train, car, taxi and bus to be a part of festivities that included soccer-themed activities in the Heerengracht and music and fun in Long Street.

Revellers were still milling around the city's streets at 5am.

There were no major crime incidents to spoil the party as police and other security groups were out in force.

Despite a cold wind and occasional light rain, the crowd enthusiastically joined the countdown, and a huge cheer and applause greeted the illumination of the bright display and the fireworks that filled the sky.

The city used the opportunity to entertain young soccer fans.

"This year (the event) is forming part of the milestone celebrations leading up to the 2010 final draw on Friday at the Cape Town International Convention Centre," explained Lesley de Reuk, the city's 2010 director of operations.

He said the city had dedicated the theme of this year's Festive Lights celebration to soccer and had introduced a strong soccer theme in the display.

The city created a "Soccer Zone" at the Heerengracht traffic circle, where soccer fans met and interacted with prominent players from local teams Ajax Cape Town and Santos, as well as Bafana stars Matthew Booth and Lance Davids.

The Soccer Zone fun included a diski dance competition, five-a-side soccer games, foosball (table football) play-offs and freestyle demos.

Mayor Dan Plato, accompanied by the soccer stars, switched on the lights at 8pm, and this was followed by a 2 000-strong carnival parade up Adderley Street and then back towards the convention centre.

Drummies, dancers, Cape Town's fire and rescue vehicles, a community brass band and entertainer Emo Adams were warmly welcomed by the crowds.

Big screens were set up along Adderley Street to ensure that everyone had a good view of the stage performances.

Many of the crowd got into the festive mood by buying colourful wigs and hats, as well as flickering dummies and light swords. About 10km of rope lighting was used to create this year's display.

Police spokesman Andre Traut said only a few incidents of minor crimes had been reported, including thefts and robberies. "But it was not serious at all. The whole event was well co-ordinated and no injuries were reported," he said.

* This article was originally published on page 1 of The Cape Argus on November 30, 2009

The Argus

Flight restrictions for draw

Johannesburg - Flights around Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula will be restricted during the final draw for the 2010 World Cup, police said on Monday.

"One of the security measures to be implemented is the temporary restriction of airspace during certain periods in the vicinity of the Cape peninsula and Robben Island," said SA Police Service spokesperson Director Sally de Beer in a statement.

"The aim of the temporary flight restriction... is to ensure maximum safety with minimum disruption to the community."

The restrictions will affect air traffic up to December 6. The final draw takes place on December 4.

The restrictions will not affect scheduled flights or state flights. Pilots wishing to fly in the restricted area must apply for authorisation at least 24 hours in advance.

Flight restrictions for draw

In 2005 Juanes performed one of my favourite songs ever in the Final draw for the 2006 WC, "La Camisa Negra". Do we have any information about artistic performances during Friday's draw?

Fifa seed the following teams:

South Africa , Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, England, Spain and...Netherlands!