Group A: South Africa - Slovenia - Cote d'Ivoire - New Zealand

Group B: England - Portugal - Algeria - Japan

Group C: Spain - Denmark - Uruguay - Australien

Group D: Italy - Netherlands - Ghana - South Korea

Group E: Argentina - Serbia - Nigeria - USA

Group F: Brazil - Switzerland - Cameroon - North Korea

Group G: France - Slovakia - Paraguay - Honduras

Group H: Germany - Greece - Chile - Mexico

South Africa would get a rather easy group, besides the Cote d'Ivoire as very tough opponent. The round of 16 should be possible in such a group.

England would have to face Portugal again after that dramatic (and misfortunate) quarterfinal in 2006.

Spain would have rather easy opponents and thus probably secure a clear victory in its group.

Italy would have very tough opponents in the Netherlands and Ghana (ironically also their group stage opponent of 2006). I think that group deserves the title "group of death".

Argentina would face Serbia again after four years later but would also have Nigeria and the USA as tough opponents.

Brazil should have not much of a problem to qualify for the round of 16.

France would have a rather easy group as well.

Germany would have a (for World Cups) unusually difficult group, with the extremely defensive Greece (the German team is quite bad at playing against defensive teams), the ambitioned Chile (ironically its would-be opponent from the November 10 friendly match which was cancelled due to Robert Enke's death) and the experienced Mexico.

Actually, too many of these groups lack excitement in my opinion. So I hope that there'll be a completely different result in reality. ;)

Group A

1. South Africa

2. Mexico

3. Serbia

4. Uruguay

Mexico and Uruguay would be favoured.

Group B

1. Italy

2. Netherlands

3. Japan

4. Cameroon

Ouch, Italy, Netherlands and Cameroon group of death much?

Group C

1. Argentina

2. Australia

3. Switzerland

4. Ghana

Will be a tough slug between Australia, Switzerland and Ghana - though if Argentina is as weak next summer as they have been this, all 3 could got by.

Group D

1. Brazil

2. United States of America

3. New Zealand

4. Portugal

Another tough group, say what you will about American football but they will play hard against Portugal and its not a given that Brazil and Portugal are the ones out of this group.

Group E

1. England

2. Slovakia

3. Paraguay

4. Algeria

Fairly easy group for England, Paraguay likely second.

Group F

1. Spain

2. Korea Republic

3. Cote d’Ivoire

4. Denmark

Another easy group, Spain and Cote d'Ivoire are the class, the Danes could be a tough opponent.

Group G

1. France

2. Greece

3. Chile

4. Nigeria

A tough group for the French, Greece and Nigeria will exploit their attacking and defensive holes and the Chileans play a strong team game.

Group H

1. Germany

2. Korea DPR

3. Slovenia

4. Honduras

What a joke - Germany and Honduras are the tops.

If that was really the draw, the Asians would be dead by now. Three of their best teams would be struggling with to qualify. I wouldn't discount South Korea, they really an underated side.

Group A : I would go for the homies and Mexico.

Group B : Netherlands & Cameroon. The Italians have been slipping and they won't win again.

Group C : Argentina will qualify, the runner-up position is anyone's game.

Group D : Brazil & USA ! The american have trump against the Portugese before and I am sure they'll do it again !

Group E : England and Paraguay, no doubt.

Group F : Another group of death. All four teams stand an equal chance the qualify, but I think we'll see Spain & Denmark.

Group G : France & Nigeria.

Group H : Germany will qualify, the runner-up position like Group C is anyone's game.

I just did a test draw based on the pots described by Mo:

Group A: South Africa - Slovenia - Cote d'Ivoire - New Zealand

Group B: England - Portugal - Algeria - Japan

Group C: Spain - Denmark - Uruguay - Australien

Group D: Italy - Netherlands - Ghana - South Korea

Group E: Argentina - Serbia - Nigeria - USA

Group F: Brazil - Switzerland - Cameroon - North Korea

Group G: France - Slovakia - Paraguay - Honduras

Group H: Germany - Greece - Chile - Mexico

Group A won't happen. Two countries of the same continent can't play together except two teams from Europe ;)

Group A won't happen. Two countries of the same continent can't play together except two teams from Europe ;)

Australia joined the AFC on 1 January 2006, yet played in the same group as Japan in the 2006 World Cup. However, we did qualify for the event in the OFC group so maybe that cancelled it out.

You probably refer to the special pot they created for Serbia and Montenegro at the 2006 World Cup final draw. But they only did that to prevent three teams from the same continent (in that case Europe) playing in one group. I think there shouldn't be a problem about two teams from the same continent in one group.

For A - Ivory Coast should be replaced by Mexico instead, so 4 diff continents ;

leaving Germany - Greece - Cote d'Ivoire and Chile for Group H.

Baron, there's no rule that in a World Cup group, there have to be four different continents. It would simply be unfeasible since there are so many European teams that you'll almost always have two of them in one group. Host Germany, for example, had Poland in its group in 2006. The other two teams were Ecuador and Costa Rica. So practically there were even only two continents in that group, Europe and America. But of course, in the soccer world you count by the confederations and so there were three confederations represented (UEFA for Europe, CONCACAF for North and Central America and CONMEBOL for South America).

Baron, there's no rule that in a World Cup group, there have to be four different continents.

I know. But isn't that whole point of doing a World Cup so that countries which normally don't even rub shoulders in the intervening years are forced to play each other like, at least like once in 10 years?

U know what I mean...

I know. But isn't that whole point of doing a World Cup so that countries which normally don't even rub shoulders in the intervening years are forced to play each other like, at least like once in 10 years?

U know what I mean...

Yes, maybe it would make more sense -- but it's impossible to do as long as there aren't equally as many teams from each continent and as long as European soccer is so strong that it gets so many World Cup spots.

There will be a special draw of whichever continent is placed with the remaining African qualifiers (likely CONCACAF) to make sure the South Africans don't face one of their own. Its against FIFA regulations to have more then one team from the same continent in the same group unless its Europe for obvious reasons.

Table Mountain lights up for 2010 Final Draw

MEDIA RELEASE

NO. 789/ 2009

24 NOVEMBER 2009

On December 4, one of the world’s largest television audiences will focus on Cape Town for the Final Draw of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

To celebrate the event, the City of Cape Town has arranged to keep the lights at Table Mountain switched on until midnight on that Friday night, as well as on Sunday, November 29.

"An estimated 150 million viewers are expected to watch the live broadcast of the Final Draw, which will determine where and against whom the 32 qualified teams will be playing in next year’s soccer tournament," says Lesley de Reuck, Cape Town’s Director of 2010 Operations.

"As one of the world’s most famous landmarks, Table Mountain, is bound to feature prominently in every newscast which will be beamed from Cape Town to some 200 countries," says Pieter Cronjé, the City’s Director of Communications and 2010 World Cup spokesperson.

"The City’s electricity department has thus arranged to illuminate the mountain until midnight on Final Draw night, as well as on Sunday, November 29, when Executive Mayor Dan Plato switches on the festive lights in Adderley Street at 20:00," he says.

From November 30 until December 6, and again from December 16 to January 2, the Table Mountain lights will be switched on just after the electricity peak until 10h00.

According to Director of Electricity Services, Dr Leslie Rencontre, the City will be purchasing green energy to illuminate the mountain during this festive season peak period.

Archived