Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aronious

2010 World Equestrian Games

When some of us think of Kentucky and horses, the Kentucky Derby comes to mind. Now, the US state has been given the 2010 World Equestrian Games to Lexington by the FEI. This will be the first time these Games will be held outside of Europe. More so, the self-proclaimed "Horse Capital of the World" will have all events in this competition be held in "a single venue."

This will be the first time these Games will be held outside of Europe.

Arnt they due to be held in just out Melbourne in a few years time. Also i think the games have also been held in Auckland at some point. Or maybe that was the Polo World Cup.

Arnt they due to be held in just out Melbourne in a few years time. Also i think the games have also been held in Auckland at some point. Or maybe that was the Polo World Cup.

Yeah, I thought the same thing too, but was trying to confirm it.

The Past Hosts are:

1990: Stockholm, Sweden

1994: Den Haag, The Netherlands

1998: Rome, Italy

2002: Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

2006: Aachen, Germany

2010: Lexington, Kentucky, United States

I think Melbourne may be hosting a world championship sometime soon. I remember seeing something about Equestrian NZ looing into bidding for the Equestrian games just before Athens.

Melbourne?  Kinda is that like a black name in horsey circles?  I mean- remember? -- they caused the 1956 Equestrian events to be held in Stockholm because Austrlian quarantine laws could not bend to accommodate the 1956 Olympic horses.

BTW, what do you call the citizens of Melbourne?  Melbournians or Melbournese?

Melbourne?  Kinda is that like a black name in horsey circles?  I mean- remember? -- they caused the 1956 Equestrian events to be held in Stockholm because Austrlian quarantine laws could not bend to accommodate the 1956 Olympic horses.

BTW, what do you call the citizens of Melbourne?  Melbournians or Melbournese?

Haven’t you ever heard of the Melbourne Cup, the biggest equine race in the world. Melburnians practically cream themselves other that Cup, its like a state holiday in Victoria. Sydney hosted equestrian events in the olympics so the laws have obviously changed.

Where the circumstances merit such a move, of course. I suspect that what you're subtly trying to refer to doesn't.

There was talk about Melbourne bidding for the World Equestrian Games. However, it seems that it got sent to the backburner for now. Besides, boasting about Calgary again, the city was asked by the FEI to bid for these Games, but City Hall declined due to potential problems of Spruce Meadows being surrounded by suburbs.