Bon Jovi

Kelly Clarkson

Avril

BNL

Shania

Nickelback

Incubus

And possibly Celine.

No idea on who is playing what night but VANOC has some h-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-ge names confirmed apparently for the Vancouver VCs...

An intresting line up - Kelly and BNL have performed at the Torino and SLC victory ceremonies respectively.

Here are some of the artists at the Torino Medals Plaza (Piazza Castello):

Andrea Bocelli

Kelly Clarkson

Duran Duran

Jamiroquai

Anastacia

Whitney Houston

Avril Lavigne

Ricky Martin

Lou Reed

plus numerous Italian artists.

The tickets to the VCs and concerts were free. :)

The tickets to the VCs and concerts were free. :)

The Vancouver Victory Ceremonies will be the first Winter Games to ever have two Victory Ceremonies venues:

BC Place Stadium

- scaled down to 35,000 seats (60,000 seat stadium)

- 8,000 of these tickets every night of the Victory Ceremonies will be free, mainly to the under priviledged and school children

Whistler Village Medals Plaza

- 8,000 seats

They are ticketed because it's quite costly to put both ceremonies on and on the scale/quality of what they plan to have. Both Salt Lake and Torino had medals plazas venues with a capacity of 8,000 and were indeed free...Vancouver will be on par with this 8,000 free figure, as mentioned above.

Little birdy sent me some news -

Bon Jovi

Kelly Clarkson

Avril

BNL

Shania

Nickelback

Incubus

And possibly Celine.

No idea on who is playing what night but VANOC has some h-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-ge names confirmed apparently for the Vancouver VCs...

An intresting line up - Kelly and BNL have performed at the Torino and SLC victory ceremonies respectively.

Hopefully none of those are on the days I have VC tickets, cause I would cry. But then again a Bon Jovi ticket would go for a pretty penny.

So I compared the VC schedule in Vancouver against events likely to have Canadian medallists. Those are the dates sold out, of course.

The Saturday concert only is intriguing though....

And I still think Nelly Furtado is a given. Ditto Sarah McLachlan. Both BC girls. And Bublé?

What about the free outdoor concerts at David Lam park, etc?

Right now they have:

Sam Roberts Band

Wilco, Alexisonfire

Jully Black

Blue Rodeo

Malajube

I hope that they can get some bigger names than this; perhaps they are saving the best for last so that these smaller bands won't be overshadowed. I'm sure these bands are great and I'd have no problem checking them out, but come on VANOC...I'm as Canaddian as you get but I will always resign to the U.S. for knowing how to put on a show. Their entertainment value was top-notch at the Salt Lake games

Nelly Furtado? Michael Bublé? Nickelback? Céline Dion?

I don't think there is much bigger names in Canadian music right now then Sam Roberts and Alexisonfire.

Other ideas :

Bryan Adams ?

Alanis Morissette ?

The Tragicelly Hip ?

Rush ?

Tom Cochrane ?

Loverboy ?

The Guess Who ?

Leonard Cohen ?

Gordon Lightfoot ?

Joni Mitchell ?

Neil Young ?

Nickelback ?

Simple Plan ?

Shania Twain ?

Sarah MacLachlan ?

Diana Krall ?

Holly Cole ?

Our Lady Piece ?

Cowboys Junkies ?

Men Whithout Hats ?

Corey Hart ?

Glass Tiger ?

Allanah Myles ?

Honeymoon Suite ?

Other ideas :

Bryan Adams ?

Alanis Morissette ?

The Tragicelly Hip ?

Rush ?

Tom Cochrane ?

Loverboy ?

The Guess Who ?

Leonard Cohen ?

Gordon Lightfoot ?

Joni Mitchell ?

Neil Young ?

Nickelback ?

Simple Plan ?

Shania Twain ?

Sarah MacLachlan ?

Diana Krall ?

Holly Cole ?

Our Lady Piece ?

Cowboys Junkies ?

Men Whithout Hats ?

Corey Hart ?

Glass Tiger ?

Allanah Myles ?

Honeymoon Suite ?

Did you just put simple plan in the same list as Tom Cochrane and the Guess Who?

who's to say that they can't add NON-canadians to the line-up as well. at the end of the day, the olympics will be looked at as a business. companies and networks will want to squeeze as much money out of these events as possible, so i don't think Sam Roberts Band, Wilco, Alexisonfire will be bringing in the ratings/sponsorship $. can you imagine a promo on NBC for a concert even featuring Alexisonfire? that would be a ratings nightmare. We can debate quality talents and music all day, but a crappy band like Simple Plan will outsell any of the aforementioned (sadly). They need ratings and Nelly Furtado, Beyonce, etc will give them a better chance at that.

Did you just put simple plan in the same list as Tom Cochrane and the Guess Who?

I just put some names of canadians artists.

Some names are bigger than others, some are smaller.

No ranking of who should be there or who should not be.

Shania Twain is maybe the one on that list who sold the most albums world wide. (but I'm not necesseraly a fan)

Rush and Brian Adams probabbly second and third. They were in their respective era very huge. But I agree, not popular now as they was before

Me personnally, I'm a huge fan of Emerson Lake and Palmer, Kraftwerk and King Crimson. But I'm in the generation who's now around 50. Lots of you maybe never heard thoses names.

yes, not all will be televised, but even the ones that are not televised will be most likely have a major corporate sponsorship...for example "The Visa Concert Series". There's little chance that Visa would be forking over money for a small time band and small crowds. VANOC and other promoters came to Visa with a plan and a pitch...which would have to include big names.

Except that these events almost certainly won't be televised and the tickets are sold before the acts have been named.