Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alexjc

2011 Rugby World Cup

:) The New Zealand bid team starts it's month long campagne to try and win over the ten member nations of the IRB.

First stop, the hardest of all, Australia!!!  IMO the debarcle of the 2003 WC will come back to haunt the NZRU, I doubt any support from Australia.

I don't know aye, you just can't tell with Australia. I would like to think that the Australian union will remember everything NZ has done for Australian Rugby, especially during the 60’s 70’s and 80’s when NZ really carried Australian Rugby. Not to mention the fact that New Zealand has supported Australia during it’s bid for the 2000 Olympics and is  behind Australia’s bid for the 2018 Fifa world cup (even though we have been shut out of the bid). Although it’s reassuring that Wales and Australia have publicly come out and praised NZ’s bid. I think people have really underestimated our bid, if we can get the Welsh (2 votes), Scottish (2 votes), possibly Irish (2 votes), Aussie (2 vote) and Oceanic (1 vote) as well as swing votes from the first eliminated country we might just pull it off.

I know if we are given the honour of hosting the world cup of the games we love, it will mean so much to every rugby loving true kiwi. Fingers Crossed!

When it comes down to it, it's cheaper for us to buy tickets to fly over the NZ to catch a match than fly up to Tokyo. I reckon Oz will back NZ.

:) The New Zealand bid team starts it's month long campagne to try and win over the ten member nations of the IRB.

First stop, the hardest of all, Australia!!!  IMO the debarcle of the 2003 WC will come back to haunt the NZRU, I doubt any support from Australia.

I don't know aye, you just can't tell with Australia. I would like to think that the Australian union will remember everything NZ has done for Australian Rugby, especially during the 60’s 70’s and 80’s when NZ really carried Australian Rugby. Not to mention the fact that New Zealand has supported Australia during it’s bid for the 2000 Olympics and is  behind Australia’s bid for the 2018 Fifa world cup (even though we have been shut out of the bid). Although it’s reassuring that Wales and Australia have publicly come out and praised NZ’s bid. I think people have really underestimated our bid, if we can get the Welsh (2 votes), Scottish (2 votes), possibly Irish (2 votes), Aussie (2 vote) and Oceanic (1 vote) as well as swing votes from the first eliminated country we might just pull it off.

I know if we are given the honour of hosting the world cup of the games we love, it will mean so much to every rugby loving true kiwi. Fingers Crossed!

When it comes down to it, it's cheaper for us to buy tickets to fly over the NZ to catch a match than fly up to Tokyo. I reckon Oz will back NZ.

i hope so 2

:) Good point, in 1987 there were only 3 internetional gateways into NZ,  now there are seven and they are all evenly spaced out in both islands.  Hamilton, Palmerston, and Dunedin the main provincial centres and Queenstown the new commers.  Invercargill and Rotorua also have licences to operate trans-Tasman services.

And considering that trans-Tasman airfares are generally cheaper than domestic fares (in both countries) day trips to matches are well within the budget of the masses.

:) Good point, in 1987 there were only 3 internetional gateways into NZ,  now there are seven and they are all evenly spaced out in both islands.  Hamilton, Palmerston, and Dunedin the main provincial centres and Queenstown the new commers.  Invercargill and Rotorua also have licences to operate trans-Tasman services.

And considering that trans-Tasman airfares are generally cheaper than domestic fares (in both countries) day trips to matches are well within the budget of the masses.

Maybe I spoke too soon. While I'm still sure the average Aussie Rugby fan would back NZ, it appears a few past and present Australian coaches support Japan:

Jones, Dwyer support Japan 2011

Not overly surprising.

As mentioned, Jones is practically Japanese.

As for Dwyer, well, he's always hated New Zealand, really. lol. He can't say a nice thing about the All Blacks these days.

Not overly surprising.

As mentioned, Jones is practically Japanese.

As for Dwyer, well, he's always hated New Zealand, really. lol. He can't say a nice thing about the All Blacks these days.

:( Bob Dwyer has ALWAYS hated the skin colour of brown and in his well known RACIST eyes sees this personified in NZ.

I'm surprised he's supporting the colour yellow, maybe it's because SA is slowly turning black -" Eew yuk can't have that now can we White Australia" is what his words will be!

Martin Johnson is supporting Japan, too.

And (I can feel the shock and horror all through NZ) John Kirwan's also come out in support of Japan!

I'm starting to think the momentum may well be moving north.

It really doesn’t bother me which celebrity is supporting which bid, all that matters it who is voting. This is my (bias of course) gut feeling on how the voting might go:

Australia (2 votes) – New Zealand or Japan  

England (2 votes) – Japan

France (2 votes) – South Africa

Ireland (2 votes) New Zealand or South Africa

Wales (2 votes) – New Zealand

Scotland (2 votes) – New Zealand

Argentina (1 vote) – South Africa

Canada (1 vote) – Japan

Italy (1 vote) – Japan or South Africa

Europe (1 vote) – Japan or South Africa

Asia (1 vote) – Japan

Africa (1 vote) – South Africa

Americas (1 vote) – Japan

Oceania – (1 vote) – New Zealand

but hey this could be just wishful thing...

SA edge ahead in race to host World Cup

South Africa's bid to host the 2011 Rugby World Cup entered the home straight on Monday with just 30 days to go before the International Rugby Board (IRB) announces the winning bid in Dublin.

In the final push to edge out Japan and New Zealand, two rugby personalities from the 1995 World Cup era have become team-mates and both men will be flying overseas this weekend to up the ante and intensify lobbying efforts to secure the bid.

Former South African Rugby Football Union chief executive Edward Griffiths and Rian Oberholzer, the man who succeeded Griffiths after he had been fired by fax in 1996, have emerged as key figures in South Africa's bid.

Both men will join South Africa Rugby Union (Saru) president Brian van Rooyen and bid company chief executive Francois Pienaar on a whistle-stop trip to Scotland, Ireland, France, Spain, Uruguay, Italy and Canada in an endeavour to keep South Africa's nose in front of their two rivals.

The message from the IRB to South Africa was clear

In recent weeks the message from the IRB to South Africa was clear. To win the bid, the country's notoriously Machiavellian rugby administrators will have to be on their best behaviour in the countdown to November 17.

On Monday, however, Pienaar played down concerns that South African rugby bosses could scupper the effort at the eleventh hour.

"2011 is still a long way away and by then we do not even know who the elected officials are who will be running rugby in South Africa.

"I am confident that when it comes to the vote for 2011, people won't be voting for individuals, they will be casting the ballot for a country," he said.

South African rugby is, in fact, proud that the country did not let the International Rugby Board down when it came to hosting major events ever since the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

'They will be casting the ballot for a country'

The country was widely praised for running well organised events that included two Under-19 Championships and an Under-21 tournament that was won by South Africa in 2002 when current Springbok coach Jake White was coach of that side.

New Zealand's bid is an emotional one, riding on the passion and fervour that country has for rugby.

Ultimately, though, the two most important criteria that will decide the winning bid on November 17 will be which country can best guarantee revenue for IRB coffers and grow the game globally.

South Africa is in a strong geographical position to maximise television revenue from hosting a World Cup as the country is in the same time zones as the biggest market, Europe.

At the previous World Cup in Australia in 2003, the worldwide accumulative television audience rose from 500 000 in the inaugural tournament in 1987 to a staggering 3,7-billion viewers.

And with state of the art infrastructure already in place from the 2010 Soccer World Cup, Pienaar said the country would be in a position to host the final in a 100 000-seater arena, the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.

For the Lions tour this year, New Zealand had to put most of the visiting tourists up on cruise liners and in trailer parks and camp sites. Auckland's Eden Park, where a World Cup final would be played in New Zealand, can only seat 45 000, although it would be upgraded to hold 52 000.

But the city only has about 7 000 hotel beds and with 85 000 tourists having travelled to Australia in 2003, this could be their Achilles heel.

South Africa will cite the launch of the African Leopards team and the growth of rugby in countries such as Kenya as potential for a South African bid to grow the game in Africa.

"There will be more tourists in France in 2007 than there were in Australia and we want to attract even more to South Africa," said Pienaar.

"Apart from rugby, our success at hosting the Cricket World Cup and the President's Cup (golf) proved our competence at hosting top sporting events. The weather is also tailor made for fast, open rugby," he added.

Before South Africa starts to pop any champagne corks, however, there is still a lot of work to be done.

A year ago Japan was the favourite to win the bid, but Pienaar - with Griffiths putting together a bid book described as "highly impressive" - have closed the gap to the point where South Africa is now regarded the favourite.

"We're working on our final presentation now and every activity for the next 30 days has been scheduled.

"We're coming down the final stretch of a race with New Zealand and Japan that is going to be tremendously exciting," he said.

I think soooo many people are underestimating the technical side of New Zealand's bid.

You only have to look at their bid advisory team to see that they have put alot of thought into it. This isn't all pr warm fuzzy images, the likes of Rod McGeoch, Jim Bolger etc etc have put together a good bid.

We've been told already by the likes of David Moffet and the Australian rugby chief that the IRB evaluation report puts the NZ bid in a very good light.

I think it's an easy thing to just say that the NZ bid is based on history and emotion - and sure, every bid has to have an intangible touch stone (SA and JAP have the same for their bid).

But we can't forget that the NZRU have put together what appears to be a compelling technical document to present to the IRB.

They have strong govt support, and have guaranteed the revenue to the IRB - stadium size in terms of revenue is only revenue for the host union - Not the IRB.

From that article, just a small point, but the capacity of Eden Park won't be 52k, but will be boosted to 60k. Sure, a few more thousand would be nice, but it's a decent size I think.

The line about the trailer parks, well, it makes it sound worse than it really was.

And putting visitors on cruise liners is not new to the major events industry, they did it or Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 aswell as many other events such as Superbowls.

i must commend new zealand on a most excellent bid that they formed and attention to detail ....it is really a solid bid...south africa my country has a powerful bid, not so big on sentiment, but large revenue, good tv times for europe large and many stadia e.g. 100,000 seat fnb stadium, 75000 ellis park, 60, 000 kings park, 50,000 newlands, 40,000 loftus verseld, and three more with 30,000+ capacities....and on top of that they will al be of international standard....BUT south africa doesnt need the world cup as much as new zealand, i wouldnt be sad if we lost....i just think that new zealand is mer deservig than japan..japan is not a large enough rugby nation yet...its time will come in 2015...so best of luck to new zealand....

:)  :( Although I (now) support NZ, if we fail then I would like first place to go to Japan, for the simple reason that YES we need to grow the game. Prehaps a couple of games in in both Koreas.

As much as it hurts when they mention it, even John Kirwin is right, because we all say it behind closed doors - Japan should host sooner rather than later.

If we have to try again for 2015, at least it will give Auckland more lead in time for the National Stadium to be built on the Auckland Foreshore Development program.

For SA, I believe that the majority black population still sees Rugby as the "Evil Africaans" own game and that's why they love Soccer with a passion.  With the Fifa WC in 2010, I doubt if the majority will care for RWC11.

:)  :( Although I (now) support NZ, if we fail then I would like first place to go to Japan, for the simple reason that YES we need to grow the game. Prehaps a couple of games in in both Koreas.

As much as it hurts when they mention it, even John Kirwin is right, because we all say it behind closed doors - Japan should host sooner rather than later.

If we have to try again for 2015, at least it will give Auckland more lead in time for the National Stadium to be built on the Auckland Foreshore Development program.

For SA, I believe that the majority black population still sees Rugby as the "Evil Africaans" own game and that's why they love Soccer with a passion.  With the Fifa WC in 2010, I doubt if the majority will care for RWC11.

I've gotta say, I really am torn in my sympathies on this one. On the one hand, Anzac tradition, proximity to Oz and the fact that I realy know how passionate the Kiwis are about the game in general and the bid in particular leads me to wish NZ all the best of luck.

On the other hand, yes, if the IRB is serious about growing the game, Japan is the perfect country outside the top powers to start, and this is probably the right time to do so.

South Africa _ I just feel they have the FIFA World Cup coming up and I really hope they get the Olympics soon (2016 or 2020). I want to see them get the Olympics before the Rugby WC. I might have been a bit more supportive if they had gone along with a suggestion I saw about a year ago that they might co-host with Argentina (which, BTW, is something I'd like to see in the future _ an Argentina, Uruguay, Chile Rugby WC _ go the Pumas!).

[...a suggestion I saw about a year ago that they might co-host with Argentina (which, BTW, is something I'd like to see in the future _ an Argentina, Uruguay, Chile Rugby WC _ go the Pumas!).

:) I would've supported Argentina if theyd've bidded as well.

As with the stupid Japan-NZ co host proposal, a joint SA-Argentina bid wouldn't work either.  Too culturaly diverse.

Still Argentina with Uraguay and Chile as sub-hosts for 2015 would stand a better chance against a homeside bid.

Now THAT'S growing the game!

is there women's rugby?

There sure is! There's also a Women's Rugby World Cup _ next year it's being heldd in Canada.

There sure is! There's also a Women's Rugby World Cup _ next year it's being heldd in Canada.

Really? I didn't know that.

:D Very popular in the Rugby playing nations although I'd rather watch the girls play Netball. You get to see them up close and since they now wear little more than their daddy's T-shirts, an awesome leg-fest!!

:wwww:

Martin Johnson is supporting Japan, too.

And (I can feel the shock and horror all through NZ) John Kirwan's also come out in support of Japan!

I'm starting to think the momentum may well be moving north.

I hope so. This is a great opportunity for the sport to spread its wings beyond the heartlands.

Found a pretty good piece from a South African newspaper about the bidding race, brings up a number of good points to consider in terms of the horse trading and negatives and positives of each bid (from a non-technical standpoint).

Unease over SA Cup Bid

I really hope England don't go down the joint bid road for 2015. We should do it on our own. 1995 and 2003 show single-host tournaments work best.

Thanks for posting the article ... it actually makes me even more supportive of the japan bid. Just as we saw in the race for the Fifa WC 2006, global sports organisations make a lot about spreading the game out, but too often the wheels come off when the murky world of self-interest amongst individual nations comes to play. Fifa learned its lesson and was somewhat forced by public opinion to go for an all-africa bidding process for 2010. The IRB should take note.

If Rugby is to boost its profile, sustain the development of recent years, and prove that it can been played at a high level outside of the trqaditional unions, then more should and can be done to promote nations such as Japan, or future bids from the likes of Canada, or Argentina (along with Uruguay and Chile, hopefully for me!) or Italy, or even the USA.

That's the positive spin. On the negative side, ask the question - apart from a few money-spinning AB games at Twickers (which will happen anyway), what does the rugby world gain from a NZ RWC? But then, maybe I'm just bitter and want to spear tackle the entire NZ bid!!!!

That's the positive spin. On the negative side, ask the question - apart from a few money-spinning AB games at Twickers (which will happen anyway), what does the rugby world gain from a NZ RWC? But then, maybe I'm just bitter and want to spear tackle the entire NZ bid!!!!

That notion to me seems like abit of a slap in the face to the rugby nations of the world which have given so much to rugby. Sort of like *right, thanks for that, but we don't really need you anymore*.

That's not to say I dont think that the rugby game globally needs to grow, but the RWC, unlike the FIFA World Cup, is still only a baby.

Surely, this concept would be like saying to England that the world wouldnt get anything about of a FIFA World Cup held in that nation again. And what about Brazil, they dont need a World Cup to anchor football in that nation.

What does the rugby world gain out of a New Zealand hosted world cup?

Well, it's true - New Zealand doesnt need a world cup to emerse rugby in the nation. But maybe that is one of the things that it would give the rugby world.

The fact that for the duration of the world cup, rugby will be definetely dominating the nation. The fact that players will feel so emersed with a rugby savy public. We read it in many of the articles around the time of the Lions tour - former Lions players going on about the oddities of going into a cafe in a small New Zealand town and having the 60 year old lady behind the counter talking to them about the values of a good lineout.

It may sound silly, but the feel good concepts of the New Zealand bid are so appropriate. The basis of the logo, and the tagline do fit in with what New Zealand can offer.

*All Rugby 2011* and

*A stadium of 4 million*

OK, much of this is marketing puffery, but the fact remains, it's kind of true.

It will give the rugby world an entirely RUGBY experience, in the land which is absolutely rugby crazy.

Secondly, something which has been missed, I think the tournament will be of value to the Pacific Island nations. This will be as close to a home world cup as they will get. Many of the players in those teams are from NZ anyway, and many of them already hold all of their training camps in New Zealand.

Add to the fact that New Zealand has a huge Polynesian population, Auckland has the largest population of Polynesians over any other city in the world.

You only have to look at the AB/PI tests often held at Albany Stadium in Auckland - to see the huge home support the Pacific teams would get.

And while I don't think New Zealand is owed anything, it certainly isnt.

Go back to the mid 80's, when the Australian and New Zealand rugby unions came up with the idea of a World Cup of Rugby. When Sir Nicholas Shehadie and Dick LittleJohn initially went to the IRB to present their idea - they were almost laughed out of the room.

It was that rugby love which spurred them on and not give up, and eventually, the first Rugby World Cup was held in 1987.

Im not confident of the New Zealand bid, but I think we have a reasonably good chance .

I hope so too...

But I'm not that fussed about us losing the bid.  Definatly can't count on France or Ireland's support, but if we go down in the first round, New Zealand should support Japan whole heartedly.  I think that's what everyone wants to see.

Anyway this will set the ball rolling for a CWG or Winter Olympic bid for '18