Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alexjc

2011 Rugby World Cup

Well that’s exactly how I feel about it but the NZRU has it in there minds that 2015 will be too big. Even that fact that Scotland (a country not much bigger than NZ) is eyeing up 2015 proves that theory wrong.

Fair point, but the Scotland bid would not be a solo run ... most likely they will follow the same pattern adopted by the Welsh for 1999, and farm out lots of games to Ireland, Wales and England in exchange for getting their votes.

Personally I think the "best" world cups have been those based in one country .. in terms of atmosphere, cohension, sense of event, etc., but sadly there are only a few countries capable of hosting a great world cup solo. Rather than a Scotland (plus games sub-contracted) bid, I would rather see the Scots formally co-host with Ireland, and forget about the games in England or Wales, but then I am a biased Paddy!

ummm…give us the world cup and I swear that the opening ceremony will consist of Nicky Watson and Rachael Hunter making out ?

I would rather see the Scots formally co-host with Ireland, and forget about the games in England or Wales

The idea of Ireland/ Scotland co-hosting the rugby world cup, without the help of Wales and England is a realistic idea.

Remember - both countries put in a joint bid for Euro 2008, so they probably could cope with hosting the rugby world cup.

I FULLY SUPPORT MY COUNTRY SOUTH AFRICA, all infrastrure and know how would be in place one year after 2010, the climax of the rugby world cup??? a 95,000 seat stadium, semi finals?? two or three 60,000 plus stadia!!

Just thought some of you who are interested might like to hear this. This is a nz radio sport  interview with NZ 2011 bid team member, Australian Rod McGeoch, one of the huge master minds behind Sydney’s, Athens and London’s susses full Olympic bids.  Rob McGeoch on NZ 2011 bid

(just srcoll down and click on '2011 Rugby World Cup bid advice')

Scotland would not find it too difficult to host a solo RWC...Glasgow alone has three 50,000 + stadiums. Edinburgh has Murrayfield 67,000 and Easter Road 25,000 and Hearts FC are going to build a new stadium in the city which should be about 25,000. Not to mention a new stadium proposed in Aberdeen which would probably be about 20-30,000.

Scotland would not find it too difficult to host a solo RWC...Glasgow alone has three 50,000 + stadiums. Edinburgh has Murrayfield 67,000 and Easter Road 25,000 and Hearts FC are going to build a new stadium in the city which should be about 25,000. Not to mention a new stadium proposed in Aberdeen which would probably be about 20-30,000.

:) Scotland as main host with Ireland hosting it's home games and a weaker pool would work as both Countries have a common heritage - they would love to thump the bejesus out of England!!!

:wwww:

:) Scotland as main host with Ireland hosting it's home games and a weaker pool would work as both Countries have a common heritage - they would love to thump the bejesus out of England!!!

I'm sure with you on that as well _ a Celtic Cup would be great. It could even incclude aa pool in Wales if they wanted it (and the bid needed the votes)

:) Yes and England can and should be allowed to host alone in the near future.

Italy could host with France the support nation as well.

And alongside Scotland's fine list of stadia, the clear difference to the UEFA2006 bid will be Ireland's ability to guarantee their part of the bargain with:

1. the bigger games staged in Croke Park (80,000+, venue for opening game, or final, or semis, perhaps ... since it would be the largest stadium on offer) or the Rebuilt Lansdowne Road (50,000+)

2. Decent sized games staged in the proposed new stadium (30,000) in or around Belfast (The site of the Maze Prison/Long Kesh is proposed based on its political symbolism and the fact that the government wants to rid itself of a very large site)

3. Smaller pool games in the refurbished Thomond Park, Limerick (shame they aren't building a 30,000 seater, which Munster could justify, or sorting out a deal with the GAA to share a really good regional stadium, but that's another story), Ravenhill, Belfast and Musgrave Park in Cork.

I notice Jonah Lomu's copping flack in NZ for supporting the Japan bid.

How much copverage is the bid getting in NZ? It's getting close to decision time (November 17) but there's not much newws about it at all here in Oz (well, apart from Jonah "Turning Japanese"!).

I notice Jonah Lomu's copping flack in NZ for supporting the Japan bid.

How much copverage is the bid getting in NZ? It's getting close to decision time (November 17) but there's not much newws about it at all here in Oz (well, apart from Jonah "Turning Japanese"!).

The Bid is getting quite a lot of media coverage in NZ, TV One Sport's coverage of the bid race extremely well.

When I first heard about Lomu’s comments I have to admit I was extremely pissed off. I mean, first the man is a kiwi and your country is bidding, who the hell in there right mind support the competition. Also I thought it was a completely stupid comment, who has been paying Lomu for the last 10 years? The NZRU. Who is bidding for the 2011 world cup…The NZRU and the moron makes and ill advised comment in favour of the opposition and that’s what it was an ill advised comment. He isn’t a very smart man, he made a mistake and he admitted that on the news last night, he clams to have been quoted out of contexts. But what I’m really mad about is that the NZRU haven’t signed him up as a spokesmen for the bid. Jonah is buy far the world most famous rugby player and would be a ultimate poster boy for bid. I think most people in NZ are madder at the NZRU than Jonah because we know it was an ill advised comment and he has said he wants to see the world cup in NZ.

Ok, Jonah Lomu has just been on Radio Sport, telling the nation he was quoted out of context. The said that he was asked “If the world cup went to Japan, do you think it would grow the games globally”. He was not saying he would prefer the world in Japan on NZ, he was just sincerely answering the question. He has put to the Chinese newspaper that asked him the question to so the evidence that he was indorsing japan over nz and for them to print the whole interview. He said he is extremely passionate about nz hosting the world cup and would glad to be a spokesman for the bid if he was asked.

Ill post the interview ASAP.

Jona Lomu Live

“My heart and Soul is with New Zealand, Any purest who want to watch rugby at its best would want to what it in a country that loves it for pure rugby itself and that’s New Zealand”

I think Puppy must have left the GamesBids board to advise Japan _ showed them the old "stealing Rachel Hunter" strategy!

I think Puppy must have left the GamesBids board to advise Japan _ showed them the old "stealing Rachel Hunter" strategy!

:D LOL :D

Jonah was mis-quoted, simple.

However the NZRU is copping flak for not using Lomu in their bid attempt...

And Anton Oliver's just released biography has opened up old wounds regarding the behavior of the All Blacks on and off the field.  Untill Graham Henry arrived, alcohol, loutish antics and bad attitudes prevailed both in the team and the NZRU.

I don't particularly give a toss about what Jonah Lomu thinks, be he misquoted or not.

Any boofhead Poly from Otara who has an unusually large frame could become the next big thing in world rugby - I dont think hardened businessmen and the IRB's blazer brigade would care what they think.

But yes, Jonah made an accurate statement, one day the world cup must go to Japan. I think everyone, including members of the bidding unions know that, nothing new in that.

By and large , the NZRU with Jock Hobbs and Chris Moller have done a really good job at the bid. I will be interested to see who will make up their presentation team, apart from those two. I imagine Helen will be there, no doubt another proven rugby legend such as Colin Meeds or Brian Lachore will tag along too.

I don't particularly give a toss about what Jonah Lomu thinks, be he misquoted or not.

Any boofhead Poly from Otara who has an unusually large frame could become the next big thing in world rugby - I dont think hardened businessmen and the IRB's blazer brigade would care what they think.

But yes, Jonah made an accurate statement, one day the world cup must go to Japan. I think everyone, including members of the bidding unions know that, nothing new in that.

By and large , the NZRU with Jock Hobbs and Chris Moller have done a really good job at the bid. I will be interested to see who will make up their presentation team, apart from those two. I imagine Helen will be there, no doubt another proven rugby legend such as Colin Meeds or Brian Lachore will tag along too.

:D HEY EVERYONE...MATT'S BACK!!! :D

From what's been said in the last few weeks, NZ's chances are still just ever so slightly behind Japan.   Just over four weeks to go.

Jonah's just being a grump 'cause Paul Holmes hasn'

t asked him to be on his new weekly show yet

:laugh:

...and anyway he's moving to Wales to finish out his now totally lack lustre career.

:) The New Zealand bid team starts it's month long campagne to try and win over the ten member nations of the IRB.

First stop, the hardest of all, Australia!!!  IMO the debarcle of the 2003 WC will come back to haunt the NZRU, I doubt any support from Australia.

SA offers the best stage

11/10/2005 11:14  - (SA)  

Caption: For all your bid information visit the official bid site at www.sa2011.co.za .

Imagine the executive board of a big production company, looking for a theatre able to stage their blockbuster show.

They have two principal goals: to maximise revenue and fund their organisation, and to maximise global exposure and so expand the broad popularity of their show worldwide.

The choice of venue is crucial.

Indeed, it is perhaps the most important decision these men will take for some time.

For it is the choice of venue that will determine precisely how much revenue they will generate, and how much exposure they will earn around the globe. The future is at stake.

There is no room for emotion.

As they meet to consider the merits of several major theatres, it is clear that the business case must prevail.

The Board members start by establishing the criteria by which they will make their decision: experience in staging big shows, likely local demand for tickets, capacity of the theatre, local regulations, projected commercial revenue, stability of the theatre management, potential to create exposure and grow the show.

To this list, they add infrastructure for, as one member notes, you need more than just a theatre to stage a show of this size.

You need a high standard of surrounding infrastructure, in areas such as accommodation, transport, IT and hospitality facilities.

In many respects, this is the position of the Council Members of the International Rugby Board as they consider whether the hold the 2011 Rugby World Cup in Japan, New Zealand or South Africa. Their decision will be announced on November 17th.

Our sincere conviction is that South Africa offers the IRB the ideal stage for the Rugby World Cup in 2011.

Consider our bid according to the criteria:

Experience in staging 'big shows': from the 1995 Rugby World Cup through various major events such as the 2003 Cricket World Cup, South Africa has repeatedly proved its capacity to stage large international events efficiently, joyfully and safely.

Likely local demand for tickets: South Africa's passion for rugby is known, and confirmed every week with capacity 70 000 crowds for major Test matches, 45 000 crowds for big provincial clashes and 20 000 for traditional school derbies,. This enthusiasm will produce record ticket sales for a Rugby World Cup.

Capacity of the 'theatre': in 2011, South Africa will offer FNB stadium (capacity: 110 000) as the major venue, with Ellis Park and Kings Park (capacities: 70 000 each) and five other match venues able to accommodate more than 42 000 spectators. This represents the finest array of stadia ever proposed for RWC.

Local regulations: creating an ideal environment for hosting major international events is a declared policy in South Africa, with the result that the legislative structure to protect the rights of each major stakeholder is exceptional. The anti-ambush marketing laws, for example, have been praised as word class.

Projected commercial revenue: any independent assessment of South Africa's capacity to attract event sponsors, generate sales of hospitality packages and merchandise, and maximise TV rights income (in the same time zone as Europe) concludes the country is best placed to maximise commercial revenue.

Stability of the theatre management: recent bickering among Saru officials, of the type experienced at some time by every rugby union (in fact, every organisation), cannot conceal the reality that SA Rugby has recently produced outstanding results on and off the field: Under-19 and Under-21 world champions, a thriving Springbok side, effective transformation, growing player numbers.

Moreover, in more than a hundred years of playing a leading, constructive role in the game, SA Rugby has never let the IRB down.

Potential to create exposure:by virtue of lying in the same time zone as rugby's largest market in Europe, through its creative and high-tech global marketing plans, South Africa will ensure more people in more countries enjoy the RWC in 2011.

Through its bold plans to grow rugby in Africa, SA Rugby will use the tournament to expand the game in arguably its most fertile region.

Infrastructure: A 2011 RWC in South Africa will benefit from a first class infrastructure, comprising accommodation, transport and IT systems that compare with the best in the world.

More revenue to fund the game, more exposure to expand the game: primed by hosting the Fifa World Cup in 2010, South Africa represents a golden opportunity for the IRB in 2011.

The Rugby World Cup has become a great show.

:) The New Zealand bid team starts it's month long campagne to try and win over the ten member nations of the IRB.

First stop, the hardest of all, Australia!!!  IMO the debarcle of the 2003 WC will come back to haunt the NZRU, I doubt any support from Australia.

I don't know aye, you just can't tell with Australia. I would like to think that the Australian union will remember everything NZ has done for Australian Rugby, especially during the 60’s 70’s and 80’s when NZ really carried Australian Rugby. Not to mention the fact that New Zealand has supported Australia during it’s bid for the 2000 Olympics and is  behind Australia’s bid for the 2018 Fifa world cup (even though we have been shut out of the bid). Although it’s reassuring that Wales and Australia have publicly come out and praised NZ’s bid. I think people have really underestimated our bid, if we can get the Welsh (2 votes), Scottish (2 votes), possibly Irish (2 votes), Aussie (2 vote) and Oceanic (1 vote) as well as swing votes from the first eliminated country we might just pull it off.

I know if we are given the honour of hosting the world cup of the games we love, it will mean so much to every rugby loving true kiwi. Fingers Crossed!

:D HEY EVERYONE...MATT'S BACK!!! :D

From what's been said in the last few weeks, NZ's chances are still just ever so slightly behind Japan.   Just over four weeks to go.

Jonah's just being a grump 'cause Paul Holmes hasn'

t asked him to be on his new weekly show yet

:laugh:

...and anyway he's moving to Wales to finish out his now totally lack lustre career.

Oh well, I might not be alive next year, so I thought I might as well make a return sooner rather than later.

Jonah has finally made his appearance on Holmes, was quite sad really. He appeared like an oversized little boy being dominated by his wife/manager. It was kinda shame really, like his mummy was answering all the hard questions for him.