Australia to bid for 2018 WORLD CUP

Reports from Australia today that we will be bidding for 2018 World Cup Football, and with the injection of the highly succesful domestic A-League competition which started on 28th August, Australia has a very good chance of winning the bid.

"In 2006 the Cup is in Europe, in 2010 it's Africa, 2014 will be South America, and in 2018 it's our turn," said O'Neill, who is set for further discussions on the issue at the FIFA Congress in Morocco this weekend.

"They (the OFC) are prepared to put us up as host, with some matches to be in New Zealand."

FIFA boss Sepp Blatter is believed to be open to the prospect of Oceania hosting a World Cup.

Oceania hosting for the first time!

Daily Telegraph Report

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it isn't your turn, it's Europe's turn again :rolleyes:

Ha, ha, ha!  As you said, mikel, you and Australia continue dreaming.  2018 will go to the US.  3 WCs in the southern hemisphere in a row?  I don't think so.  

Better luck next time, Australia and Europe.  Maybe 2022.

You continue saying things without any sense, baron... :upside: ¿Te falta un hervor? I think so...

GO ENGLAND OR SPAIN (EUROPE) 2018!!! THE FOOTBALL HAS TO COME HOME AGAIN!!! :;):  :)

But the time diference in Australia.. won`t it hurt the bid? Most people in Europe would have to get up very early or very late depending on what time of day the games are played.

I wouldn't think it would hurt them too much if the experience of the 2003 Rugby World Cup is anything to go by.

Does this mean Australia won't leave the Oceania confederation for Asia? Not sure how I feel about that. I mean I was happy that Australia went to Asia, that meant NZ’s women’s team pretty much had a automatic path to the next world cup and the Beijing Olympics.

But an Australian world cup would be cool, and the idea of games being held in New Zealand is even better.

Australia is looking at probably 2026 - there is no way that three world cups would be in the southern hemisphere

i do not support an English or Spanish bid for the 2018, or the USA for that matter, i would support bids coming from Russia, Sweden/Denmark, Poland

I actually agree that threee WCs in the south is probably nott going to happen.

Still, a 2018 bid for Australia would be a great trial run for a future, more realistic, bid. By the time it's the region's turn, I expect Australia will have a tough fight on its hand against China and any experience it can get beforehand would be a big help.

I really don't see the World Cup staying away from Europe for 16 years.  The longest it has ever been away from Europe is 8 years (not counting the two cancelled by WW2).  FIFA does like to experiment every now and then - 1994 in the USA, 2002 in Korea/Japan and soon 2010 in South Africa.

But I don't see Australia being in a position to overcome a strong European bid.  The big money is in Europe.  This might be a "warm-up" bid for 2022 when it will be looking like an open fight from Asia/Oceania.  A repeat of the fight for the 2000 Olympics?

Does this mean Australia won't leave the Oceania confederation for Asia? Not sure how I feel about that. I mean I was happy that Australia went to Asia, that meant NZ’s women’s team pretty much had a automatic path to the next world cup and the Beijing Olympics.

But an Australian world cup would be cool, and the idea of games being held in New Zealand is even better.

I thought there was NO "true automatic qualifying" for the Oceania region now? Also, I thought that, when this came out, some of us here went berzerk and typed up comments about this outrage.

I really don't see the World Cup staying away from Europe for 16 years.  The longest it has ever been away from Europe is 8 years (not counting the two cancelled by WW2).  FIFA does like to experiment every now and then - 1994 in the USA, 2002 in Korea/Japan and soon 2010 in South Africa.

But I don't see Australia being in a position to overcome a strong European bid.  The big money is in Europe.  This might be a "warm-up" bid for 2022 when it will be looking like an open fight from Asia/Oceania.  A repeat of the fight for the 2000 Olympics?

Yeah. European football (soccer to some of us) is so big over there that I wouldn't be surprised that the FIFA HQ gets "death threats" almost every time the World Cup is not held on European soil.

Well it is gaining ground today and the media said it is a sure thing - the bid will happen.

What they are saying is Rotational Games will produce the following -

2002 Asia

2006 Europe

2010 Africa

2014 Americas

2018 Oceania

The reports I heard as well have said that even though Europe wont like it they cant do anything about the rotational system they are going to use, that the bid will almost certainly win due to the information they received. The reports also advised that we would not be bidding against Europe because Europe have 2006.

Clarrification of this will take place in the next few weeks, and if so, the bid team is going to start orgainsing a preliminary program that will be sold over the next few years as a certain goldmine for football and the football community.

And to say the TV coverage would be bad - it did not stop thousands of people in England watching the 2003 Rugby World Cup, and also the 2000 Olympics produced record results in all places except the USA due to the delayed telecast by NBC.

2018 - Opening Match in Melbourne at the MCG

Final at the Sydney Olympic Telstra Stadium

Cant wait!!!!!!!!

Well it is gaining ground today and the media said it is a sure thing - the bid will happen.

2002 Asia

2006 Europe

2010 Africa

2014 Americas

2018 Oceania

Sure, we might bid, but even I've gotta admit Soccer Australia's being a bit disengenuous about claiming an Oceania rotation spot only months after being cock-a-hoop over leaving Oceania and joining the Asian confederation. We can't really have it both ways. If it is Oceania's "turn", then New Zealand is the only country even remotely considerable to host in Oceania.

2002 Asia

2006 Europe

2010 Africa

2014 Americas

2018 Oceania

I find this very hard to believe. I've posted articles which claim 2018 is destined for Europe, Baron has posted articles that state it's N. America's and now you're saying it's Oceania (which Australia is no longer a part of anyway!).

The truth, it seems, is nobody knows. The fact that Sepp Blatter, the head of FIFA has said this week that he welcomes a bid from England, "the home of football", suggests to me that the rotation isn't as fixed as some would have us believe - unless, of course, the rotation has 2018 set for Europe.

I would be more than a bit miffed if Sepp led us to believe we had a chance of winning 2018 (which, by encouraging us to bid, he is doing right now!) and then said later that there is a rotation system meaning Europe couldn't win.

Archived