2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

Yes i saw it.... It seems a city with a lot of buildings, a lot... I saw it and it also seems to be really bid!!! I've just visited the aurport when i was i a conection to Bahia Velha or something like that... But it may be a little aglomerated the city...

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes i saw it.... It seems a city with a lot of buildings, a lot... I saw it and it also seems to be really bid!!! I've just visited the aurport when i was i a conection to Bahia Velha or something like that... But it may be a little aglomerated the city...

Sao Paulo possibly must have one of the biggest demographic rates in the planet.

As for yesteday, the city had more than 120Km of traffic jams inside its "expanded downtown"...

Rush hours in Sao Paulo are really a nightmare...

For a World Cup, it's okay to have games in Sao Paulo, since the city can decree a city holiday in the matchday...

And this works very well in Brazil for any event.

About Sao Paulo, I think they can handle it if they need to. Mexico City, Tokyo or Beijing are bigger and they have made it.

The point is... why Sao Paulo? There are plenty of other candidates until this moment (Santiago, Lima, Rosario, Bogotá...) I don't think the Brazilian Olympic Committee will do such a stupid thing like getting involved in a race where their best "friends" are running already.

Mexico City is a traffic disaster too! But they had the games in the 60's... Bogota or Santiago... They both have the taste of a Pananerican city... let's see what ee have for 2019...

Sao Paulo during the WC well at least there will be full atrendences ;)

Mexico City, Beijing and I don't know which other cities you talked about have at least 4 times more subway extension than Sao Paulo, a city of 12 million people and 50 Km of Subway lines.

Again. Sao Paulo is EXTREMELY densed. The main part of the city is made of residential buildings.

I think you guys did get my point....

size_590_paraiso_vila_mariana.jpg?1326749723

This is Vila Mariana and parts of South Zone of SP, a RESIDENTIAL area (FULL OF BUILIDINGS as whole Sao Paulo)

Sao Paulo is huge, but it's not very spread out in proportions to its size... Even Miami with 5 times less people have a bigger urban built area.

About Sao Paulo, I think they can handle it if they need to. Mexico City, Tokyo or Beijing are bigger and they have made it.

The point is... why Sao Paulo? There are plenty of other candidates until this moment (Santiago, Lima, Rosario, Bogotá...) I don't think the Brazilian Olympic Committee will do such a stupid thing like getting involved in a race where their best "friends" are running already.

None bidded officilally.

You have a point. Brazilian NOC will never approved a SP bid meanwhile Brazil is in preparations for Olympic Games.

hahaha danny is desperate... your hate for SP is funny as hell. Hell de Janeiro is a city under civil war and got the rights to host an olympic game based on the support by the federal government so...

calm down, dude. 2019 is too soon.. Brazil wont win it...

btw, he's hell de Janeiro's "subway" system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYmOnbuh0s

just a week ago...

This is not the subway of Rio, you know that...

I'm not desperate against the city where I work everyday.

I just think Sao Paulo is not a good place for "events around the city".

At the same time, I'm totally pro-Expo 2020 in Sao Paulo.

BTW, is the subway in Salvador (the smallest in Brazil) already working?

PS: At the same I do think Sao Paulo is not the best place for PanAms (and you probably agree with me), other part inside me wants the PanAms in Sao Paulo 2019...

In fact, it would be much more interesting for us, Brazilians, here in GB....

And also very very funny to see some people's reactions here... Trust me.

Hell de Janeiro is a city under civil war

Love that... Check the murder rate of Rio and your city in the last 4 years...

And check also those numbers in the last weekend under Police Strike!!! hahahaha...

Then you talk to me which city is under "civil war"

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's on...

Yesterday, it was announced that Santiago will bid for the 2019 Pan-Am Games. The Secretary of Sports and the President of the Olympic Committee will be next week at Mexico to present the bid officially at ODEPA/PASO headquarters.

According to Chilean sites, Lima and Rosario are the other bidders. Bogotá is undecided because of the recently announcement of Medellín to host the Youth Olympics while Montevideo and Mayagüez are named as lesser rivals.

http://www.cooperativa.cl/chile-presentara-candidatura-para-organizar-los-juegos-panamericanos-de-2019/prontus_nots/2012-03-02/100834.html

http://www.elmostrador.cl/noticias/pais/2012/03/02/santiago-sera-candidata-a-sede-de-los-panamericanos-de-2019/

http://deportes.terra.cl/otros-deportes/santiago-presentara-candidatura-para-organizar-los-juegos-panamericanos-2019,b04be2ed7f3d5310VgnVCM20000099f154d0RCRD.html

I don't think elevation matters that much. The whole west of South America and Mexico are located on high altitudes and Mexico City alone hosted twice, Cali hosted once, Guadalajara is quite up there and hosted last year...

I don't think elevation matters that much. The whole west of South America and Mexico are located on high altitudes and Mexico City alone hosted twice, Cali hosted once, Guadalajara is quite up there and hosted last year...

IDK but officials with Toronto 2015 bid were saying Bogota has no chance due to the elevation. Keep in mind 1975 was given to Mexico City Guadalajara went uncontested and Cali is half the elevation Bogota is.

6%20de%20marzo%20%28Odepa%29.jpg

Today, the bid of Santiago was presented at the ODEPA/PASO Offices.

In the picture, the Director of the Sports National Institute (IND), the President of ODEPA and the President of the Chilean Olympic Committee (COCh)

6%20de%20marzo%20%28Odepa%29.jpg

Today, the bid of Santiago was presented at the ODEPA/PASO Offices.

In the picture, the Director of the Sports National Institute (IND), the President of ODEPA and the President of the Chilean Olympic Committee (COCh)

Is the due date for bids this week?

Looks like Miami is the candidate for the USA, a very smart choice as its close to the Caribbean so they might be inclined to vote from them + the 3 votes from Canada.

There are 6 official bids for the 2019 Pan American Games:

1) Miami, USA

2) Santiago, Chile

3) Bogota, Colombia

4) Lima, Peru

5) Unnamed city in Puerto Rico

6) Unnamed city in Argentina

Miami bidding... Hmmm, I have a favorite now...

Despite the fact, it's the city that most encapsulates PanAmericanism on the world... Strong appeal to the city considered the capital of Latin America, a huge population of Canadians around the city and located in the USA...

Is Miami likely straight after, what was it again, that city up in the tundra? Toronto? I thought they liked to alternate between north and south?

Tundra?? It was +16 today :rolleyes: better then the desert Kangaroo land is :lol:

Miami and Argentina are not official the other four bids were submitted, all bids have till Jan 1

Archived