2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone think that a US city will bid? My choice is San Francisco, New York, or New Orleans.

The bid election is closed since January 2013. The official candidates are La Punta, Ciudad Bolviar, Lima ans Santiago, being the latest two the contenders in the race.

Rio beating San Antonio was not surprising lol.

It sure was! It was in 2002, Brazilian economy wasn't that stellar by the time and Rio had TONS of promises to fulfill. San Antonio seemed to be more reliable despite being much less ambitious or international.

^^ Worst drama was when Indianapolis was picked for the 1987 games instead of Havana, which prompted PASO to give the 1991 games to them in order to calm down Castro since he was already throwing tantrums because of it.

THAT! And the american athletes commuting daily from Tampa to avoid the PanAm Village because of alleged food poisoning in Havana!

It sure was! It was in 2002, Brazilian economy wasn't that stellar by the time and Rio had TONS of promises to fulfill. San Antonio seemed to be more reliable despite being much less ambitious or international.

THAT! And the american athletes commuting daily from Tampa to avoid the PanAm Village because of alleged food poisoning in Havana!

Oh WOW

• 3 weeks later...

I was expecting that, they would be my choice after NOLA. So then I guess the next time is 2023?

I not sure if America cares enough about the Pan Am Games to mount a serious bid. I don't think they get a whole lot of coverage despite being "covered" (and I use that term loosely) by ESPN. Although if a US city were going to bid, I would prefer Minneapolis or Columbus.

• 3 weeks later...

^^ Funny. I thought the Venezuelan bid was the one going to play the Caribbean card for their bid. I wonder what happened to that.

What is sure is that the Puerto Ordaz bid comittee is trying to get support from Central America at this moment.

^^ Funny. I thought the Venezuelan bid was the one going to play the Caribbean card for their bid. I wonder what happened to that.

What is sure is that the Puerto Ordaz bid comittee is trying to get support from Central America at this moment.

Agree with this. Puerto Ordaz might split votes from the Caribbean zone.

Archived