2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

Vásquez Raña never said that Ciudad Bolívar and La Punta don't have chances. La Tercera claims that.

The PASO president said: "Maybe in my heart and mind, the decision has been taken, but I can't close the doors for the rest. Everything will be defined in October. It doesn't depend on me but the best one should win and Santiago has all the requirements to host the competition".

The official video is really good. Now that I'm not living in Santiago, it almost made me cry watching my city :(

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ and doesn't his words mean a lot? And influential to members? Anyhow, Santiago deserves it, it's about time we see a S.American city with a different beauty, I love the modern wintry vibe it gives.

^ and doesn't his words mean a lot? And influential to members? Anyhow, Santiago deserves it, it's about time we see a S.American city with a different beauty, I love the modern wintry vibe it gives.

He said the same thing about Toronto

Nice video on the proposed Village. A few ?s. Why no balconies? Is Santiago weather cool year round? O va estar en el campus de un universidad, entonces no necesitan balconajes? (Translation: Or will it be located in a university campus, thus removing the liability of balconies?)

As much as I hate the demagogy of Raña, he said what we all tought already. Santiago is the best bid of all by the highest margin. And considering he said the same thing for Toronto back in 2009 we can pretty much say this race is decided.

As much as I hate the demagogy of Raña, he said what we all tought already. Santiago is the best bid of all by the highest margin. And considering he said the same thing for Toronto back in 2009 we can pretty much say this race is decided.

I really hope so. The time has come for us to organize such big events. We are too delayed in this topic and It is the crowning of big events to come in Santiago (South American Games, American Cup, Sub 17 FIFA World Cup)

I don't understand the "Balconies" issue (No entendí lo que quisiste decir con lo de los balcones de la Villa Panamericana)

Anyway, The village wil be located in a former Air Force Base, which was given to the goverment to build a big and modern urban complex that was never built. This time is the perfect pretext to build the Pan Am Village and after the games sell them as the Sport Urban Complex.

In Chile we have a template climate. The winter season goes between May and September and temperatures average move around 5°C to 15°C, getting the lowest temperatures between July and August 0°C to 12°C the coldest days (we have had extreme cold seasons getting -5°C in some counties in Santiago). Some years are very rainy, others not. The summer season goes between October and March, getting the top of 35°C on hottest days, generally in December or January.

In October, date that are scheduled for the Pan Am Games, temperatures average move around 15°C to 25°C, the nicer in the year.

Valparaíso and Viña del Mar, Venues cities for 2019 Santiago Pan Am Games

Valparaíso: The third largest city in Chile, 110 km north west Santiago (1 and a half hour), is an urban complex on the mountains such a huge theater watching the sea. It's the main Seaport in the country and has, probably, the richest cultural background of the whole country. A great university campus and headquartest of the National Congress and the Chilean Navy.

Viña del Mar: Together Valparaíso it gives the greatest conurbation in Chile. It's called "The tourism capital" due to the beautiful beaches along its seashore, hotels, a huge nightlife and countless sports and cultural events.

Wellknown as "La ciudad jardín" (The garden city) due to the many gardens spread all over the city, is the host city for one of the most important music summer festival in Latin America and the most important in Chile, the Viña del Mar Festival which takes place every February.

Vásquez Jaña never mentioned La Punta and Bolívar... yes, Santiago is his choice but obviously lobbying will be important, especially considering the good ties that Venezuela have in the Caribbean where they can carry a lot of votes.

Nice video on the proposed Village. A few ?s. Why no balconies? Is Santiago weather cool year round? O va estar en el campus de un universidad, entonces no necesitan balconajes? (Translation: Or will it be located in a university campus, thus removing the liability of balconies?)

I think it has to do more with the idea that is just a sketch. I don't see any reason why balconies won't be there (most of buildings in Santiago have them).

I really hope so. The time has come for us to organize such big events. We are too delayed in this topic and It is the crowning of big events to come in Santiago (South American Games, American Cup, Sub 17 FIFA World Cup)

I don't understand the "Balconies" issue (No entendí lo que quisiste decir con lo de los balcones de la Villa Panamericana)

Anyway, The village wil be located in a former Air Force Base, which was given to the goverment to build a big and modern urban complex that was never built. This time is the perfect pretext to build the Pan Am Village and after the games sell them as the Sport Urban Complex.

Are they going to use Ciudad Bicentenario? That would be great, considering it is almost useless at the moment (it is very close to my family's house and I passed by there every day in the past 10 years :P ). And also there will be a Metro station by 2018.

What sports do those cities host?

Not sure, probably triathlon, sailing, rowing and maybe beach voleyball.

Ciudad Guayana bid apparently hasn't given up yet and are decided to get the games. I've heard they're about to start an agressive campaign around the caribbean countries in order to convince them and assure their votes (Venezuela is a member of the CARICOM organization and possibly one of the most influential)

http://www.liderendeportes.com/Noticias/Mas-Deportes/Beneficios-desde-ya-para-Ciudad-Bolivar.aspx

Benefits starting from now for Ciudad Bolivar

CARACAS. - The benefits of the 2019 Pan American Games in Ciudad Bolivar and verified from the application stage. The Pan American Sports Organization (PASO) approved the project of establishing four international training centers, including two in Guyanese land.
(...)
Alvarez, meanwhile, said the environmental campaign that will accompany the application includes the use of electric cars and bike paths signaling in sports complexes.
In addition, the organizers promise an airlift from the Caribbean, which, according to Alvarez, will be tipping the scale on October 7: "South America will vote divided, the Caricom will be decisive."

To be honest I was already thinking of this posibility. Venezuela has very strong and influential relationships with most of the Caribbean countries, and they are around more than 24 in number (if we count dependencies like Curacao). This could affect the vote process and act very decisive in favor of Venezuela (plus the Lima and La Punta bids will make the south american vote get even more split). Perhaps it's too early for Santiago to celebrate, although they're still the best bid IMO.

^^ Apparently this is the "secret weapon" the Ciudad Guayana bid keeps talking about :P

http://www.clarin.com/mundo/MundoDY-Benitez-Deportes-Venezuela-Alejandra_CLAIMA20130423_0096_14.jpg

http://www.clarin.com/mundo/Alejandra-Benitez-ministra-Maduro-esgrimista_CLAIMA20130423_0098_17.jpg

Alejandra Benitez, the new venezuela minister of sports (didnt put the image tag here cuz some pics are a bit too cheeky :lol: )

I have a feeling that this will end:

W Santiago

2nd Lima

3rd Ciudad Bolivar

4th La Punta :lol:

Lima is a good option too, Jorge Chavez Airport is pretty good... but the city is more messy in contrrast with Santiago "the Switzerland of Latin America", as it's refered

• 1 month later...

Wow La Punta.. Ok all I get from this is emptiness (?) is that a rural area? Why build all this infra structure there? Santiago is gonna win this easily

• 2 weeks later...

Peru courting T&T for Pan Am vote

Peru came courting Trinidad and Tobago’s vote on Wednesday in its bid to host the 2019 Pan American Games in the coastal capital city of Lima.

Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (T&TOC) president, Brian Lewis hosted Peru National Olympic Committee (CONP) president Jose Quiñones Gonzales as the Peruvian pitched his country’s bid presentation to the T&TOC.

In the ensuing media conference at Olympic House, on Abercromby Street in Port of Spain, Gonzales said his country had three reasons it wanted to host the quadrennial Games—expansion, experience and energy.

“We are the only one of the four countries that has never received the honour to host the (Pan Am) Games,” Gonzales said, whose country Peru is in competition with Chile, Argentina and Venezuela. “There’s a new market for everybody and it would be wonderful for everybody to see a middle-sized country can organise these Games and I am dreaming of the Games being in Trinidad and Tobago one day, maybe.”

T&TOC president Lewis said T&T was the 21st country Peru had visited in its campaign, exactly halfway through the 42 Pan American Sport Organisation (PASO) members. The visit follows the July 4 visit of the Chile National Olympic Committee.

Lewis said the final decision on which country would host the 2019 Games would be made at the October 11 PASO General Assembly in Toronto, Canada.

While Lewis said he could not disclose the details of the presentation or commit the T&TOC vote at this point, he did give hints of what in the Peruvian bid impressed him.

“One of the positive aspects of Peru’s bid is that they are offering free accommodation for athletes up to 30 days before the start of the Games so that athletes can get acclimatised,” Lewis said, adding that the T&TOC would consult with its medical expert Dr Terry Ali before forming an opinion on that offer.

Lewis said that besides the sporting considerations in terms of proper athlete and personnel facilities and accommodations, proper anti-doping procedures, etc., the T&TOC would also consider the legacy element of how Peru would be using the Games to transform its society.

Lewis described the scheduled timing of the multi-sport Games—to be hosted in July 2019 as opposed to the usual and traditional March and October starts-as interesting.

But Lewis said that when the time comes to vote for the host country at the PASO General Assembly, the T&TOC will make a decision in the best interest of the athletes and the TTOC’s Olympic goal of winning ten gold medals by the 2024 Games.

“By 2019...that will be one year before the 2020 Olympics, so it (Pan Am) is going to be an important Games for T&T, and in any event we always try to look at each bid on its merit and put primarily the best interest of the athletes, and we don’t make any demands of the potential host country that is outside the rules and regulations.”

On the experience side, Gonzales said Peru had earned the right to host the Pan Am Games because it had already hosted three World Championships, two Olympic qualifying events and many regional and subcontinental Games.

Gonzales also spoke about the importance of the legacy aspect to his country. Explaining that Peru wanted to create role models, he pointed to the example of javelin thrower Keshorn Walcott, and how his gold medal performance at the London Olympics had injected a new spirit in this country.

“What we have done is added credibility to our bid proposal, and we can demonstrate that we are not only going to do but we are doing, and organising events, so we have the capacity now. I also believe we (T&T and Peru) have the same values about sport transforming the lives of people and the society,” said Gonzales, adding that Peruvians also had the same friendly attitude towards visitors as T&T.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Peru-courting-TT-for-Pan-Am-vote-216097821.html

In Barbados presentation some days ago, there was a feeling that La Punta and Ciudad Bolivar don't top the Pan Am standards asked for the event. Lima and Santiago are the real contenders, both big capital cities, modern and growing in life standards. Both countries, Perú and Chile have raising strong economies.

Nevertheless, in the 45 minutes presentation, Lima delegation was interrupted since they did not reach the required time. The Sports Minister speech was not told. According to Vásquez Raña, it was a dramatic point, since the presentation time must be accomplished, since "it gives an idea how the organization should be".

Santiago presentation lasted 44 minutes and 30 seconds exactly, according to Vásquez Raña. He congratulated the Chilean delegation in which colaborated Fernando Gonzáles, tennis double medalist in Athens 2004 and Cecilia Pérez, spokewoman of the Chilean Goverment in representation of the Goverment commitment.

This is the video shown in Barbados presentation in which explain that venues are 70% ready, due to the 2014 South American Games in Santiago. This maybe the strongest point of Santiago's bid.

The video is English spoken

One of the new points in the organization that Santiago 2019 gives, is that all the qualified athletes for the Pan Am in 2019, have the tickets and sports instrument already paid. It will be the first time that in the Pan Am games the athletes and their Committees will low the cost considerably.

Just like Toronto. BTW, last two PanAm elections were devoid of any drama: Toronto crushing Lima and Bogota and Guadalajara winning by acclamation. But Rio winning over San Antonio and Santo Domingo over Guadalajara before that, those were very surprising results.

Just like Toronto. BTW, last two PanAm elections were devoid of any drama: Toronto crushing Lima and Bogota and Guadalajara winning by acclamation. But Rio winning over San Antonio and Santo Domingo over Guadalajara before that, those were very surprising results.

Rio beating San Antonio was not surprising lol.

Lima might get more votes this time around like 15-20 but yes I fully expect Santiago to win.

^^ Worst drama was when Indianapolis was picked for the 1987 games instead of Havana, which prompted PASO to give the 1991 games to them in order to calm down Castro since he was already throwing tantrums because of it.

Archived