2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, it is no joke. Around the Rings has officially posted that this Argentine location was chosen over Rosario 30-20 votes. Well, somewhat related to this news, it seems that Argentina is in some sort of "nationalistic fervor" lately. However, it seems not in a good light overall. This latest piece of news could make the nation a laughing stock in the Pan Ams world.

The thought of another Argentine Pan Ams would irk some Canadians. There was one time, when a Canadian won a gold medal in 1995, the Canadian flag was flown upside down during that medal ceremony. I don't know what degree it became an international incident, but it did bring some shock to those who witnessed it.

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=40309

I'm starting to think the selection of La Punta was rigged. Seriously. Why they choose the middle of nowhere over Rosario, which was the best argentinan bid? (Even their NOC has said Rosario should had won since LP has a lot to do.)

Things are not shaping very well for Argentina ambitions to host the 2019 games....

PS: I'm reading the comments in argentinan sites, mostly everyone is panning the decision and are even saying they're as good as dead on the bid. :lol:

The only good thing of this bid is the logo/mascot designed by Manuel Garcia Ferre (probably the best argentinan cartoonist and animation director of all time, and many of his works like Anteojito and Hijitus are very popular on his country)

The rest looks like a shoot out to Hambatonta if you ask me :P (sorry I know i'm being annoying but i'm SHOCKED that this got selected over Rosario, seriously. XD)

The only good thing of this bid is the logo/mascot designed by Manuel Garcia Ferre (probably the best argentinan cartoonist and animation director of all time, and many of his works like Anteojito and Hijitus are very popular on his country)

The rest looks like a shoot out to Hambatonta if you ask me :P (sorry I know i'm being annoying but i'm SHOCKED that this got selected over Rosario, seriously. XD)

What a coincidence, speaking of Hambantota they will get to host the 2017 Asian Youth Games, which were awarded today. Odd.

I don't think the bid itself is a joke. Clearly, the new city of La Punta is an ambicious project by the governors of San Luis. The joke is that the Argentinean NOC voted for it over Rosario, when it is obvious they can't compete against Santiago or Bogotá (or at least it will be extremely difficult).

Just as a small comment, President Piñera talked about the Santiago 2019 PanAm bid in the State of the Nation few weeks ago as a goal of the Chilean government.

^^ LOL

argentinians trolling the continent! La Puta? Seriously?

Probably just to get tourism into the city. No way Argentina hosts their third games when there are two credible bids that haven't hosted (Santiago and Lima). Canada is different as it is in NA and the USA was not bidding when it was NA's turn in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chile starts lobby in London to host 2019 Panamerican Games in Santiago

http://www.latercera...iago-2019.shtml

News translation, Google translator!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :wacko: :wacko: :unsure: :unsure:

Within the agenda of the Secretary, which will run until August 9, is to attend as many events involving Chileans. In fact, we had predicted lean out the Aquatic Center and the weekend expects to see live the triathlete Barbara Riveros and gymnast Tomas Gonzalez.

However, it is the only purpose of your trip. In parallel, has scheduled a series of meetings with suppliers and the organization of the Olympic Games. One of the main ideas is to gather useful information about the staging, which may serve in Santiago 2014. "In these Games has invested much less than in Beijing and that means they have occupied the ingenuity to lift, something that we want to learn," he said.

As the work to the South American Games already underway, will focus on the work of Santiago's candidacy to the Pan American Games 2019, a task to be performed with extreme care.

Wanted a woman

"The delegates are worried about other things in London. There is no room for negotiating or lobbying, "said Neven Ilic, president of the Chile Olympic Committee (car). While no official activities, London marks the beginning of the intensive work to strengthen his candidacy Chile.

Ruiz Tagle and Ilic added to Fernando Gonzalez, Ambassador of the bid, at any meetings.

The only date agreed in advance is a special meeting of Odesur, to be held on August 6 in the morning, the main theme will be the Games of Santiago 2014, but will be used to publicize the benefits of national choice. Although Ruiz Tagle arrived yesterday, has already made some progress in the work.

"Neven (Ilic) has made contact with several presidents and had dinner with the president of the federation of the United States. This instance is used to talk about everything, "said a senior source in the COCH.

In the coming weeks should know the name of the chief executive of Pan American Corporation, a position similar to that which holds Marcela Gonzalez Santiago to the South American 2014. The idea is that management is a woman with "political" over the technical and start working soon, because by the end of the year would be made the first trips in Latin America in search of votes.

The assembly decided to host the 2019 Pan American Games will be held in Toronto in October 2013. Miami, San Juan, Puerto Rico, La Punta (San Juan, Argentina), Lima and Bogota are the rivals.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if Miami is in (which I doubt they will be), I'd still go with Santiago for 3 reasons:

• A games in the US would make 3 PanAms in a row in North America after Guadalajara and Toronto;
  • Santiago will put a safe bid based on their South American Games in 2014 http://www.santiago2014.cl/
  • Their previous bad luck with Pan American Games hosting is material for a cute narrative. But I don't believe they'll need to use it.

Even if Miami is in (which I doubt they will be), I'd still go with Santiago for 3 reasons:

• A games in the US would make 3 PanAms in a row in North America after Guadalajara and Toronto;
  • Santiago will put a safe bid based on their South American Games in 2014 http://www.santiago2014.cl/
  • Their previous bad luck with Pan American Games hosting is material for a cute narrative. But I don't believe they'll need to use it.

Guadalajara is more of Central America/Caribbean. Also the majority of the Caribbean if not all besides Cuba would likely vote for Miami along with Canada's 3 votes and the USA's 2 votes. That is 30+ votes right there.

Mexico's transcontinentality (if there is any) is too ambiguous to be a valid point IMO. The country IS North American and very proud of it after all. And Santiago can always pull the language/ibero-american heritage card to fellow spanish speaking countries.

Mexico's transcontinentality (if there is any) is too ambiguous to be a valid point IMO. The country IS North American and very proud of it after all. And Santiago can always pull the language/ibero-american heritage card to fellow spanish speaking countries.

Mexico is more culturally related to central america then Canada/USA that is why I said that.

Archived