2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

I remember watching the 2003 games, care to explain the background of how it was chosen and why it was a disaster?

At my point of view, Medellin was the best choice... but Santo Domingo was to keep the rotation:

Indiannapolis 1987(NA)

La Havana 1991 (CARIBBEAN)

Mar del Plata 1995 (SA)

Winnipeg 1999 (NA)

Santo Domingo 2003!!!!! (CARIBBEAN)

Rio 2007 (SA)

That was the main reason.

Bay the way... Juan Pablo Duarte Complex in Santo Domingo is awesome, the pool makes you make low times cuz you are at the sea level and isnt to hot as other places. Good legacy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found an interesting piece from last month.

The director of the Sports National Institute presented the project of a new velodrome for the 2014 ODESUR Games in Peñalolén (a neighborhood of Santiago next to the Andes) supposed to be the "most modern in South America". And he said: "This will be the most emblematic venue of the ODESUR Games 2014, our test to get the PanAm 2019".

There is also a video of the venue: http://www.cooperativa.cl/penalolen-tendra-el-velodromo-mas-moderno-de-sudamerica/prontus_nots/2011-11-22/150403.html

Just found an interesting piece from last month.

The director of the Sports National Institute presented the project of a new velodrome for the 2014 ODESUR Games in Peñalolén (a neighborhood of Santiago next to the Andes) supposed to be the "most modern in South America". And he said: "This will be the most emblematic venue of the ODESUR Games 2014, our test to get the PanAm 2019".

There is also a video of the venue: http://www.cooperativa.cl/penalolen-tendra-el-velodromo-mas-moderno-de-sudamerica/prontus_nots/2011-11-22/150403.html

well, the roof seems to be great... i like that it is smomehow transparent!! ;) good luck SANTIAGO 2019! you've got my support.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish the best of luck to all cities wishing to host interested Pan American Games2019

Lima (Perú)

Bogotá (Colombia)

Caracas (Venezuela)

Rosario, La Plata or San Luis (Argentina)

San Juan, Mayagües or Caguas (Puerto Rico)

and of course, my city, Santiago de Chile

I remember watching the 2003 games, care to explain the background of how it was chosen and why it was a disaster?

Fui yo quien hizo ese vídeo y solo se trata de imágenes de Santiago. Tiene como base la infraestructura de los juegos sudamericanos Santiago 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

With no official bids so far, TV Record (the second biggest TV network in Brazil) wants to put huge money to sponsor a PanAms 2019 bid for its hometown: Sao Paulo.

TV Record is the TV that payed most money ever to Odepa about broadcasting rights and the TV owners (people related to Universal Church of God's Kingdom) is already pressing the sports organization in favour of Sao Paulo.

http://televisao.uol.com.br/colunas/flavio-ricco/2012/02/06/record-quer-o-pan-em-sao-paulo.htm

by Flavio Ricco, a very trustable columnist on TV affairs in Brazil for UOL postal (the biggest one in Brazil)

---

IMHO, ridiculous is the minimum to say, but must be said: it's a real possibility.

Universal Church is a very powerful entity in Brazil and money for them is really not a problem - REALLY.

The money they paied for PanAms shows itself their power - indeed, they have exclusive rights for PanAms and for London 2012 Olympics.

I can say: if they want to bring the games to Sao Paulo (a city with no conditions for this kind of event), they can put efforts to do it and can bring it.

Let's wait and see.

And I'd rather other country to host it, Brazil just did it in 2007.

With no official bids so far, TV Record (the second biggest TV network in Brazil) wants to put huge money to sponsor a PanAms 2019 bid for its hometown: Sao Paulo.

TV Record is the TV that payed most money ever to Odepa about broadcasting rights and the TV owners (people related to Universal Church of God's Kingdom) is already pressing the sports organization in favour of Sao Paulo.

http://televisao.uol...m-sao-paulo.htm

by Flavio Ricco, a very trustable columnist on TV affairs in Brazil for UOL postal (the biggest one in Brazil)

---

IMHO, ridiculous is the minimum to say, but must be said: it's a real possibility.

Universal Church is a very powerful entity in Brazil and money for them is really not a problem - REALLY.

The money they paied for PanAms shows itself their power - indeed, they have exclusive rights for PanAms and for London 2012 Olympics.

I can say: if they want to bring the games to Sao Paulo (a city with no conditions for this kind of event), they can put efforts to do it and can bring it.

Let's wait and see.

And I'd rather other country to host it, Brazil just did it in 2007.

Pressure would be similar to that made ​​Coca-Cola to get the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta. That was a scandal.

Pressure would be similar to that made ​​Coca-Colato get the1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.That was a scandal. I think it is too early to Brazil. Maybe 2023 or 2027

A Brazilian bid for 2019 is unfair, but would be very strong.

And if backed with lots of "God" money, it can became a real contender...

Add to this no serious bid so far...

I'm predicting we will see Sao Paulo hosting the PanAms in 2019 if nobody with a better plan shows up.

A Brazilian bid for 2019 is unfair, but would be very strong.

And if backed with lots of "God" money, it can became a real contender...

Add to this no serious bid so far...

I'm predicting we will see Sao Paulo hosting the PanAms in 2019 if nobody with a better plan shows up.

2023 would be better since that would be the time between Toronto and Winnipeg. 2015 was almost assured for the States but they decided to bid, Depends on who bids for 2023. I don't forsake a strong bid from the Caribbean/CA or Canada and the USA (Commonwealth/WOG/SOG) so South America might host two straight PAGs.

2023 would be better since that would be the time between Toronto and Winnipeg. 2015 was almost assured for the States but they decided to bid, Depends on who bids for 2023. I don't forsake a strong bid from the Caribbean/CA or Canada and the USA (Commonwealth/WOG/SOG) so South America might host two straight PAGs.

Brazil should not bid in the next 3 or 4 PanAms... I said it several times here.

The point in discussion is not this one.

The point is how far Odepa will be pressed by a Media Conglomerate to choose a bid as host city?

Specially a very powerful one. And TV Record is trying something similar to what TV Globo did with Rio in 2016 race by, suddenly, jump Brazil to 3rd most profitable country for IOC on TV rights...

Brazil should not bid in the next 3 or 4 PanAms... I said it several times here.

The point in discussion is not this one.

The point is how far Odepa will be pressed by a Media Conglomerate to choose a bid as host city?

Specially a very powerful one. And TV Record is trying something similar to what TV Globo did with Rio in 2016 race by, suddenly, jump Brazil to 3rd most profitable country for IOC on TV rights...

Then why should Canada? Brazil has the capability.

I did want any South American city for 2015, but at least, Canada waited 16 years before hosting it again.

In fact, if this kind of things become often in Odepa, Brazil and Canada will host the games every 12 years...

i like the Sao Paulo idea but for 2019!!!

Go to Google Maps and type Sao Paulo, then you come back and talk to me how much Sao Paulo can host any multi sports event.

I did want any South American city for 2015, but at least, Canada waited 16 years before hosting it again.

In fact, if this kind of things become often in Odepa, Brazil and Canada will host the games every 12 years...

Go to Google Maps and type Sao Paulo, then you come back and talk to me how much Sao Paulo can host any multi sports event.

I agree with you Sao Paulo is a disaster in terms of infrastructure.

I'm just saying that it will be intresting, Sao Paulo hasb't to goid infrastructure, but a chance perhaps to modernize more the city...

The problem of Sao Paulo is not lack of infrastructure, but the way the city grew and the size of its population.

It's an urbanistic nightmare... There is no way to make Sao Paulo a host for a MULTI-sports event.

For Expo, for a specific sport, the city can handle, but events around the city??? It would be the craziest thing ever.

400279_236547459763361_100002243253397_534338_945172658_n.jpg

Sao Paulo subway Central Station (Sé) during rush hour

Imagine people getting around the city in this system...

Also, Sao Paulo is a modern city (maybe the most modern in Latin America)...

My point is solely, how to make people travel around one of the busiest cities in the planet, with a crazy urbanistic scenery around.

Again: go to Google Maps, type Sao Paulo.

Archived