2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

3 North American Pan American Games in a row is not going to happen. The next possibility for the USA would be 2027 after Central and South America can host again.

2019 surely won't go to North America. But if a really important US city got interested in host the 2023 games, like NYC, LA or Chi, I do believe PASO and Vasquez Rana could make it work.

I could actually see a second tier, like Boston, D.C., Miami, Philadelphia or Houston trying to get the games, since they could surely be a short cut to make those cities go to bed one day as second tier ones and wake up the next day being the country favorite city to host SOG.

PASO, in oposite to the IOC, doesn't want to snob US.

P.S. What about San Juan as the Central America candidate?

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we were more musing about the possibility of Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Costa Rica or Panama's chances of hosting, since this is the only region that has yet to host.

Amongst the most glaring oversights are obviously Santiago, but also Kingston, Jamaica. Though I wonder what kind of deals with struck for Canada's two votes for 2019, because obviously we had Spanish support.

Based on membership: Toronto got Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, USA, Virgin Islands and Canada: representing 28 votes, I think the Mexicans made it 30. I am fairly sure that Peru got their vote, plus Bolivia, Brazil, Cuba, Ecuador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Venezuela for their 11. Colombia got their 2, plus Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile and one of Guatemala, Costs Rica, Panama and El Salvador. I am guessing Guatemala, because Costa Rica, Panama and El Salvador are more likely Canadian voters. So that plays a role. Whomever wins over the Caribbean will win the games. I am not sure Lima will be able to do this. And if I am wrong about Chile then Canada could owe them if they were to bid.

I agree with Faster... Kingston is probably the last city missing in Caribbean... but after Santo Domingo, I don't see it coming soon.

The other cities could be San José and Ciudad de Panamá... I read that there is a group on Facebook about Cd. Panamá 2019.

So, at this moment we have the following bids:

*Lima (PER) [ref]

*Mar del Plata (ARG) [ref]

Possible bids:

*Santiago (CHL): The president of the COCh said that (after all the investment in sports infraestructure) the 2014 South American Games are an opportunity for a following PanAm bid, without saying the year. [ref]

2007 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

2011 Guadalajara, Mexico.

2015 Toronto, Canada.

2019 Santiago, Chile.

2023 Panama City, Panama.

2027 ?, United States.

2031 São Paulo, Brazil. (After a sucessful 2031 Games, São Paulo will bid for the 2040 Summer Olympics)

Would be great. But if we look at the australian gap, which I believe was the shortest one outside of US, we had 44 years between Melbourne (1956) and Sydney (2000). So would been more realistic have the SOG in São Paulo by 2060, or, let's say, at least 2052.

Would be great. But if we look at the australian gap, which I believe was the shortest one outside of US, we had 44 years between Melbourne (1956) and Sydney (2000). So would been more realistic have the SOG in São Paulo by 2060, or, let's say, at least 2052.

Well... São Paulo 2035 and São Paulo 2044! 2031 for Peru...

Minneapolis should bid for this, something that is within their reach, instead of dreaming about something that is beyond their realm of possibility. But I don't think that the USA is interested at this time in the Pan Ams.

Let's us not forget Rio won the race with San Antonio, Bush's hometown, if I'm not wrong.

The rotation is North, Central, South

Since 1975

1975 - Mexico (N)

1979 - Puerto Rica ©

1983 - Venezuela (S)

1987 - United States (N)

1991 - Cuba ©

1995 - Argentina (S)

1999 - Canada (N)

2003 - Dominican Republic ©

2007 - Brazil (S)

2011 - Mexico (N)

2015 - Canada (N)

This is the first time since 1955-1959 that the same region has hosted the games consecutively. The Caribbean and Central America have bequeathed their 2015 to Canada.

I am surprised Jamaica is not interested. Jamaica and Chile seem to be the two glaring misses, and maybe now that Guetemala and Costa Rica have been stable for awhile (or Panama) they would and should be considered so that Central American hosts and not just the Caribbean as their representing their region.

You are right, thanx. However, the most important question I think ODEPA has to solve is which kind of standard they want the Pan Am Games delivered in. Editions like San Domingos of Rio? This question must be analized because, if they choose Rio's standard - and, for sure, Toronto's as well - that will be very difficult to pick up a CA city, at the least by now.

You are right, thanx. However, the most important question I think ODEPA has to solve is which kind of standard they want the Pan Am Games delivered in. Editions like San Domingos of Rio? This question must be analized because, if they choose Rio's standard - and, for sure, Toronto's as well - that will be very difficult to pick up a CA city, at the least by now.

What we know is that the 2019 Pan American Games will be held in South America.

He's actually from Connecticut, isn't him?

His dad is one of the last conservatives from New England that is still alive.

He was born in Connecticut but served as Governor of Texas before eventually stealing the White House.

He's actually from Connecticut, isn't him?

His dad is one of the last conservatives from New England that is still alive.

They are orginal Connecticut-Maine Yankees...but eventually the 2nd generation (George W) went Texan and brother Jeb went Floridian. So I think the ex-GW considers himself a Texan (also having married a local girl rather than a Yankee) more than Yankee.

They are orginal Connecticut-Maine Yankees...but eventually the 2nd generation (George W) went Texan and brother Jeb went Floridian. So I think the ex-GW considers himself a Texan (also having married a local girl rather than a Yankee) more than Yankee.

OK. got it.

but Where is the town where he owns a sport team?

Actually to which metropolitan area the team belongs to?

• 4 weeks later...
I am surprised Jamaica is not interested.

Jamaica?!?!? Are you kidding? Sure, they make loads of money on tourism, but much of the country, mainly the interior, is still dirt poor. There's also some serious human rights issues. Being openly gay there is a huge no no, for example.

Most Carribbean countries are too small to host something like the PanAms, though I'd probably say the Bahamas or Barbados. The latter is pretty stable, with the 3rd highest HDI in the western hemisphere, however the largest city, Bridgetown (also the capital) has less than 100,000 people. Plus they don't have much of a sports legacy (only 10 Pan American medals, 11 Commonwealth medals, and 1 Olympic medal) Bahamas could be a little more realistic; Nassau has about 260,000 and they do a little better in competition. However, the best bet I think would be San Juan, Puerto Rico.

• 5 weeks later...
Well... São Paulo 2035 and São Paulo 2044! 2031 for Peru...

My opinion. Next Brazilian Olympic Games (after 2120) will be in Rio de Janeiro again.

If not Rio, Brasilia or Curitiba are the best "second-choices" for this. Of course based on today data.

But who knows Sao Paulo is a ugly duck today but in a near future become the new Paris or London (fingers crossed).

Next south american host will be Buenos Aires, after 2060! Well... If Argentina get back to normal life in economics.

OK. got it.

but Where is the town where he owns a sport team?

Actually to which metropolitan area the team belongs to?

Bush owned MLB's Texas Rangers for a while in Arlington which is just outside Dallas city limits.

If memory serves me correctly, San Antonio's bid for the Pan Ams was nothing short of a disaster. I don't think the U.S. is too keen on an Pan Am Games right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the 2019 Panam games go to Lima, it would be a nice form to celebrate the 200 years of independence (well , it happened 1921 really)

And the 2019's maybe will have the biggest numbr of candidate cities, so it'll be hard for sure.

Archived