England still going for 2018 WC?!

So that means that England, Spain, Russia, Sweden/Denmark and Canada are the only countries that should be in the running.

Well, if you're going by previous hostings, England and Spain shouldn't be on there either because they hosted in 1966 and 1982 respectively.  

Further, I'm not aware of any rule whihc says that there ought to be a 30-year passage before a would-be host can think of bidding anew.  Mexico had it in 1970 and then 1986 -- only 16 years apart.   So the US has every change an opportunity to be the strongest candidate for 2018.  That's a 24-year passage of time.  

It's where the money is.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't want to think USA has no chance of hosting 2018, but that will depend on who is hosting 2014.  If the FIFA indeed goes with Brazil (the country that CONMEBOL oficially supports) then 2018 will probably return to Europe.  Now, if England and Spain do not bid, then 2018 will be awarded to the United States.

And Canada hosting? That's the funniest thing I have ever  heard, at least for the moment.  FIFA award World Cups to traditional soccer countries or those who can be a potential market for it.  If at least Canada passes to CONCACAF final round in the next qualification phases and can get a ticket to either 2010 or 2014, then FIFA will take them seriously.  If not, forget it.

And I don't see the reason why Mexico could not host its 3rd World Cup.  They did an excellent work in 1970 and they were dessigned hosts in 1986 just because Colombia resigned its rights to host and actually, the tournament was better, if you consider Mexico City and other parts of the country where hit by a huge earthquake 9 months before the competition started.

Oh! Again this discussion... now I will have to battle again with the americans.  :sleepy:

Anyway, I think 2018 should be in Europe... England seems as the most possible choice, but there are the Benelux, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and some others bids. 2022 I think it will be between USA, China or Australia, with the US as a front-runner. I will prefer Australia as a "new frontier" but I know that USA has more infrastructure than Oz.

And I still hope Chile will put a bid for 2014... we will send Brazil to play in a stadium at Antarctica, and Argentina to Easter Island. Chile, world cup winner and Mozambique second   :P

Actually, no, I believe you are all wrong.  2018 will most likely go to the U.S.  Why should it go back to Europe?  And I will argue my point with anyone until the cows come home.

Maybe because Europe is the house of the footbal? :suspect: Have you ever played football? Where are the professional football teams of the USA situated in the world ranking? The kids of your country plays football all the week after school? NO!!! So, why should the USA host the 2018 WC if truthful footballer countries like England or Spain don't host since 1966 and 1982? :angry:

Actually, no, I believe you are all wrong.  2018 will most likely go to the U.S.  Why should it go back to Europe?  And I will argue my point with anyone until the cows come home.

Actually, no, I believe you are wrong.  2018 should go to Europe.  Why should it go back to the US?  And I will argue my point with anyone until the cows come home - though I'd rather not becuase I've already done so about 20 times.

I think the best thing to do is agree to disagree on this one Baron!

:help:  :;):

Wrong!!!  I believe 2018 will go to the USA.  Europe does not have a monopoly of the sport.  It is a WORLD-WIDE sport.  It's called the WORLD CUP -- NOT the European Cup -- so why should it swing back to Europe.  It will be sent to No. America in 2018.

Next.

I take it you're supporting a Canadian bid in 2018 then.

Maybe because Europe is the house of the footbal? :suspect: Have you ever played football? Where are the professional football teams of the USA situated in the world ranking? The kids of your country plays football all the week after school? NO!!! So, why should the USA host the 2018 WC if truthful footballer countries like England or Spain don't host since 1966 and 1982? :angry:

one thing you Europeans fall to relieze is that there is a large soccer culture in North America because of the makeup the people. Thousands of Canadians were celebrating a Greek win at the Euro in downtown Toronto in 2004 and there are signs everywhere of who you support during a world cup

lets put it this way, the hockey world championships have ever been held in Canada, yet we are the birthplace and deepest lover of hockey, does this make the USA or Japan or Austria or Sweden or Finland or Latvia or Germany any less deserving of the chance to host the event?

one thing you Europeans fall to relieze is that there is a large soccer culture in North America because of the makeup the people. Thousands of Canadians were celebrating a Greek win at the Euro in downtown Toronto in 2004 and there are signs everywhere of who you support during a world cup

lets put it this way, the hockey world championships have ever been held in Canada, yet we are the birthplace and deepest lover of hockey, does this make the USA or Japan or Austria or Sweden or Finland or Latvia or Germany any less deserving of the chance to host the event?

No Faster - you are quite right, when it comes to 'Ice' Hockey.  Although, even with hockey, the countries that are nuts about it, love and have a lot of national fans for their national team are all over the world, not just North America (you guys just seem to be the best at it!).  A lot of them are in Europ as well!!!

But I think you may have hit the nail on the head here to 'quash Baron's argument' for the USA hosting in 2018.  I think he is using the same arguments as he used for NYC over a lot of European Candidates for the 2012 Olympics (especially London, but the others as well). That argument was that the IOC will want to go where the 'money' is, i.e. only the USA!  (Despite the story on the front of GB talking about the 2 major powerhouses in 'massive media money nations, i.e. USA and GB!).  However, when it comes to Soccer, there are only a few nations in the world that are big enough in Soccer to generate that same income!  There is the Chines/Japan and the reast of the ARea market who are massively into European Soccer by the way!!!!! there is obviously South America and Africa (not a big area economically at the moment, but with a massive potential market if the economy in the whole of Africa changes as we want it to!).

I would say to Baron, despite whoever might wish to compete with a possible England FA bid for 2018, how does he possibly think that the USA can compete with England in foot all terms, both moneywise and FANWISE!  Plus, what the hell does this mean?

the US has every change an opportunity to be the strongest candidate for 2018

YOU MUST BE DREAMING IF YOU THINK THAT, AFTER HOSTING IT '94, YOUR MONEY OR POLITICAL POWER WOULD GIVE YOU POWER OVER EUOPEAN POWERHOUSE SOCCER COUNTRIES LIKE ENGLAND OR SPAIN WHERE YOUHAVE HOSTED SINCE THEM!!!!!

Why don't you try the land of Narnia - I hear it's nice this time of year!!!!!

I hope you like your life in LaLa land!!!!!!

Love and kisses as always

Beth

(Please don't take this personally Baron (M), as I know we have had some good chats before the IOC result and you gave me good advice, but equally I think you need to take this advice yourself, as I believe that you are letting some people get to you too much!!!

Eeeeeh!  It's only because there is a greater concentration of these tiny, piddling countries who raped and pillaged other continents sometime ago, and still think they rule the world.  Who's to say the passion for soccer is not GREATER in South America or in another part of the world?  

By an accident of nature, the smaller countries who are rabid for soccer just happened to be concentrated in the smallest  of continents -- BUT that doesn't mean they OWN soccer.  It is an international game - embraced everywhere where countries may be farther apart...and therefore have more breathing space -- but that doesn't mean they are any less worthy of hosting major football tournaments.  

If American football (a hybrid of rugby and traditional soccer) had never been developed, all you euros would be a second-rate soccer continent.  Thank you lucky stars for that.   :angry:

The problem is that your arguments for sharing the world cup and giving 2018 to the USA are incompatible imho.

I would understand your point of view more if you supported a Canadian or Mexian bid for 2018. However, your response ("Ha!  As much as I would a Cuban or a Grenadian bid.") suggests you don't.

Sharing the world cup around should not mean giving it to the USA every 20-odd years whilst other countries sit on the sidelines (no pun intended).

Money-wise a World Cup in any of the major European countries would be as successful as a US world cup.

Also, just for laughs, here is the average attendance list of leagues around the world....

Germany, Bundesliga........36,400

English Premier League.....34,700

Spain, La Liga.................28,700

Italy, Serie A..................26,400

Mexico, Primera Div..........23,700

Turkey, Super Liga...........20,800

France, Ligue 1...............19,800

Japan, J-League..............17,900

Argentina, Primera A.........17,400

Scottish Premier League....16,000

England, Division One........15,200

USA, MLS........................14,700

If American football (a hybrid of rugby and traditional soccer) had never been developed, all you euros would be a second-rate soccer continent.  Thank you lucky stars for that.   :angry:

Has anybody else deciphered what Baron means here????   I can't fathom it, coming fom an American, it's rare for them to say even that there is a link between any American sport and certainly any 'British sport'.  

I must admit though that I am still laughing from one UK Sports correspondent who said that Baseball was really just rounders (which I was quite good at but only played until the age of about 11) and that American Football was really just Rugby Union in a drag act!!!!

That was aout 4 years ago by the way and I am still laughing!!!!  Those who understand Rugby and Rounders will get my meaning!!!!  :laughlong:

You asked for it.  

From FIFA's pages:

Attendances (calculated on the basis of match day figures where appropriate)

Competition       No of Matches      Ave. per Game

Korea/Japan  2002       64               42,269

Korea 2002            32                39,580

Japan 2002            32                44,957

France 98                   64                43,517

USA 94                       52               68,991

Italy 90                      52                48,411

Mexico 86                   52                46,297

Spain 82                     52                35,698

Link: Comparative World Cup attendance figures  GO down to the bottom of the page.

Total paid attendance for World Cup 1994: 3,577,532 - HIGHEST EVER!!  

ANything more?

You asked for it.  

From FIFA's pages:

Link: Comparative World Cup attendance figures  GO down to the bottom of the page.

ANything more?

Yes, but Baron, digging into the past like that is not doing anyone any good as it gives you and a few others hope, but just about everyone else is saying, yes but stadiums are getting bigger so it is useless to compare with previous world cups!  

Yes the 94 World Cup was good, but can you say it was better than than others, NO!!!!  Lots of other people will agree with me here and say that they have preferences for other ones!!!  The Soccer World Cup is a different kettle of fish than - the Olympics, World Athletics or any American Sport you can think of when it comes to your own Country!!!!

Most notably, Europe and South America, but more so Japan, South Korea and China.  When the USA has 'Soccer legends' like Beckham, Raul et al, then you can claim ou have one over us, but one thing you are missing in your reasoning is ho fa the  'English Game' goes!!!  Sweden, Denmark and Japan (amongst many) other nations who have not won the World Cup, fear us but relish the fact of playing us just so they can say they have beaten us - it's a tradition thing - something that countries like China and the USA do not have but wish they did!!!!

Enough said for Europe really, cos read England in the above statement for many European nations that have had similar success in football!

You asked for it.  

From FIFA's pages:

ANything more?

Yes, but Baron, digging into the past like that is not doing anyone any good as it gives you and a few others hope, but just about everyone else is saying, yes but stadiums are getting bigger so it is useless to compare with previous world cups!  

Yes the 94 World Cup was good, but can you say it was better than than others, NO!!!!  Lots of other people will agree with me here and say that they have preferences for other ones!!!  The Soccer World Cup is a different kettle of fish than - the Olympics, World Athletics or any American Sport you can think of when it comes to your own Country!!!!

Most notably, Europe and South America, but more so Japan, South Korea and China.  When the USA has 'Soccer legends' like Beckham, Raul et al, then you can claim ou have one over us, but one thing you are missing in your reasoning is ho fa the  'English Game' goes!!!  Sweden, Denmark and Japan (amongst many) other nations who have not won the World Cup, fear us but relish the fact of playing us just so they can say they have beaten us - it's a tradition thing - something that countries like China and the USA do not have but wish they did!!!!

Enough said for Europe really, cos read England in the above statement for many European nations that have had similar success in football!

The "English Game"?  The Danes just whooped your ass*s.  Besides, that the so-called English Game.  We are not English, we are American.  So it's apples and oranges.  ANd it's NOT about tradition.  What is this - Fiddler on the Roof?  

It's about one's turn in a rotation; and that FIFA will reap great rewards when it brigns it to the US.  Excuse me - why did they play the Women's Games  2x in a row to the US?  Because they would have an assured SUCCESSFUL tournament here.  It's a PROVEN fact.  None of this English game- baloney stuff.  You don't own the game.  It's AN INTERNATIONAL GAME, for heaven's sakes. 

Archived