England still going for 2018 WC?!

So says the Guardian today:

England plan 2018 World Cup bid

'Why wouldn't we go for it?'

Tuesday August 16, 2005

Football Association chief executive Brian Barwick has signalled England's intention to bid to host the 2018 World Cup finals following the success of London's 2012 Olympics campaign. The FA has not yet finalised its plans, with the World Cup not scheduled to return to Europe after the 2006 tournament in Germany for a further 12 years.

However, Barwick revealed: "I think we would bid further down the line. The next time that it should come to Europe is probably 2018 so we've got enough time to get ourselves organised. "It's right and proper for the London Olympics bid to take precedence. But why wouldn't we go for it?"

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_St....ontinue

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:help:

Please don't start this debate again Faster! No one is totally sure what is going on with regard to 2018. England obviously believe they have a chance for 2018 and have indiciated their desire to bid several times. If the 'fixed rotation' policy is set in stone then  FIFA would have warned us off ages ago. That hasn't happened.

The 2018 World Cup could be anywhere that isn't South America.

Please don't start this debate again Faster! No one is totally sure what is going on with regard to 2018. England obviously believe they have a chance for 2018 and have indiciated their desire to bid several times. If the 'fixed rotation' policy is set in stone then  FIFA would have warned us off ages ago. That hasn't happened.

The 2018 World Cup could be anywhere that isn't South America.

Rob, that doesn't mean they DON'T have it in their designs.  Maybe it's precisely to ward off dreamers like you who inexplicably think that 2018 should go to England (why - beats me?  :rolleyes: ), so FIFA's just mum about it -- unless you read the tea leaves correctly.

I told you they will DO a rotation basis.  And 2014 and 2018 will belong to the Americas.

well according to articles i read on CBC, ESPN, FIFA and others the next European world cup won't be till 2022

one of the articles stated the rotation as

Europe

Asia

Europe

Africa

South America

CONCACAF

Makes simple sense to me.  Going by your list, Faster, that seems right...

Europe - France/1998

Asia  - the Japs & Kors/2002

Europe - the Huns/2006

Africa - RSA/2010

So America - Brazil/2014

No. America - Haiti/2018!!

:unclesam:

dreamers like you who inexplicably think that 2018 should go to England

I'm English and I think, becuase we haven't hosted since 1966 we should put forward a bid. We are nearly ready, wouldn't have to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on new stadiums and, as the country with one of the top three leagues in the world, would pull off a world cup that is a success commercially. Is that explanation enough for you?

I've already explained in another thread why I don't want the USA to host in 2018.

I also think that if the FA are considering spending £10m (the cost of our failed 2006 bid) on a bid, they'd know better than you whether or not 2018 is "destined for North America". The fact that the vice-president of FIFA openly welcomed a 2018 bid from England also suggests it's not as fixed as you'd like it to be.

FIFA would be very irresponislbe to let England go ahead with a 2018 bid if they planned to give the tournament to a North American country.

If FIFA do want 2018 to be in North America, they ought to say so soon before plans get going in countries outside of that region.

dreamers like you who inexplicably think that 2018 should go to England

I'm English and I think, becuase we haven't hosted since 1966 we should put forward a bid. We are nearly ready, wouldn't have to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on new stadiums and, as the country with one of the top three leagues in the world, would pull off a world cup that is a success commercially. Is that explanation enough for you?

I've already explained in another thread why I don't want the USA to host in 2018.

I also think that if the FA are considering spending £10m (the cost of our failed 2006 bid) on a bid, they'd know better than you whether or not 2018 is "destined for North America". The fact that the vice-president of FIFA openly welcomed a 2018 bid from England also suggests it's not as fixed as you'd like it to be.

FIFA would be very irresponislbe to let England go ahead with a 2018 bid if they planned to give the tournament to a North American country.

If FIFA do want 2018 to be in North America, they ought to say so soon before plans get going in countries outside of that region.

Well, Rob, maybe it's the other way around.  Like Paris felt for 2012, and Athens for 1996, maybe the UK is feeling a little too entitled for 2018?  I don't think the int'l sports organizations like the IOC and FIFA restrain any early enthusiasm generated by would-be bidders.  I think that is a risk bidding cities and countries take when they line up for these int'l sporting plums.  

I mean if you (the UK) are lining up early at the 2018 gate, fine -- but you do so w/o FIFA's acknowledgement.  But when they will show their hand, who knows?  But like the IOC, I think they make their pronouncements when they like it -- regardless of their impact on the 'early birds' or 'bids.'

Germany got 2006 in 2000, South Africa got the them in 2004, Brazil will get theirs in 2008, so its not till 2012 that a winner will be chosen, and probably won't be until 2009 or 2010 when the process even starts for 2018, so the timeframe for annoucing the framework of the 2018 world cup bid is a long ways off.

i think England should be happy with the Olympics, South Africa should be happy with the WC, Canada should be happy with the Olympics and the USA should be happy with the 2016 Olympics, i don't think any of these countries should get another major international sporting event until the 2020's or later

There's nothing wrong with trying though is there? And Germany, the USA and Mexico have hosted the two events close to one another, so it isn't as though there isn't a precedent.

You're right Faster, the process is a very long way off yet. Everything is based on hope and hypotheses at the moment. But I hope we do go for it.

Agreed, Rob.  But there's also nothing wrong for the US to aim for it and think it should come our way because it would seem only fair that it's passed around and we put on a jolly good WC lst time around.  It's not like 1994 was in shambles, and how dare we try to think we can bid again.  

And that is where the US filling in for China 2003 at the last minute for the Women's WC two years ago will come in.  That will be a very good additional calling card.

Although I would obviously love to see these events come to cities that I love, whenever there is a bid from a developing country, I feel strongly for that one.  As I hope that it will bring wealth and prosperity to that area (eg New Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010, Abuja Commonwealth Games Bid 2014 etc)

Agreed, Rob.  But there's also nothing wrong for the US to aim for it and think it should come our way because it would seem only fair that it's passed around and we put on a jolly good WC lst time around.  It's not like 1994 was in shambles, and how dare we try to think we can bid again.  

And that is where the US filling in for China 2003 at the last minute for the Women's WC two years ago will come in.  That will be a very good additional calling card.

Nobody has said the US should not go for it. All they are saying is that it may be too soon after 1994.

There's nothing wrong with trying though is there? And Germany, the USA and Mexico have hosted the two events close to one another, so it isn't as though there isn't a precedent.

but that was in a time when the list of capable host was much smaller than it is today

All they are saying is that it may be too soon after 1994.

WHo are saying that?  That would actually be 24 years - a quarter of a century - one whole generation.

Realistically, there are probably only about a dozen countries that can pull off a World Cup the size it is today  -- and that FIFA would deign to give it to.  So how many rounds does it take for the WC to come around again?

Considering that the 2014 host hasn't even been officially chosen yet (for all the talk that Brazil has already been virtually annointed) we can expect another four years at least of specualation, deal-making and manoeuvring for the 2018 race.

If FIFA really is serious about its continental rotation policy, you'd expect them to make some sort of clarifying statement so certain potential bidders wouldn't waste their time. Personally, i think rotation has far from united support within FIFA  and some sort of deal will be worked out to placate the soccer heartland regions _ I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's no way Europe would be content to wait 20-24 years between each of its WC hostings.

the lastest rotation i saw was with europe having two WC's out of six. one before the Asian and one after, so that there is montitary security for the world cup in Africa and South America

list of possible hosts

Europe

England

Spain

France

Germany

Italy

Russia

dual host Sweden and Denmark

South America

Brazil

dual host Chile and Argentina

North America

Canada

USA

Africa

Morocco

South Africa

Asia

China

Japan

South Korea

Australia

possibly India

the list is pretty short and with Germany, France, Italy, USA, South Africa and Brazil out of action for 2018 because of previous hostings, it shortens the list even more, along with no South American, Asian or Africa host. So that means that England, Spain, Russia, Sweden/Denmark and Canada are the only countries that should be in the running.

Archived