Competing Nations

Faster

spam?

This newbie "MatiasSingers" posted two very strange links, which seem spams to me - be careful with these two links!!!!

He/She/it joined and posted this message in only five minutes and left the forum afterwards!!!

I'm sorry about the link screw up, something went wrong - and there is no edit button anymore?

It's just my blog, no worries. I've been reading along here for quite some time now, and I just thought this would interested some people here. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the boards,

when you reread your first post you have to admit that it sounds very spamlike - you should introduce yourself a little bit more, before you post links here - I think it is not necessary to visit your blog you can tell us these 10 "unknown" facts here in a post too

I hope you understand our attention...

welcome to the boards,

when you reread your first post you have to admit that it sounds very spamlike - you should introduce yourself a little bit more, before you post links here - I think it is not necessary to visit your blog you can tell us these 10 "unknown" facts here in a post too

I hope you understand our attention...

Thank you :)

Of course I see how that post would seem like spam, it just went so fast.

Here is the "10 things you didn't know about the Winter Olympics":

1 The 21st winter games take place in Vancouver and Whistler, in western Canada, on February 12 and run for 16 days. It is their second appearance in Canada, having visitedCalgary in 1988.

2 Ireland first competed in the 1992 games in Albertville,France, with a four-man bobsled team and have missed just one games since, in 1994.

3 The event tends to throw up an unlikely hero every so often, with hapless British ski jumper Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards competing in the 1988 games. Ghana’s first Olympic skierKwame Nkrumah-Acheampong, aka ‘Snow Leopard’ is favourite to take that mantle in Vancouver.

4 Fifteen disciplines are competed in during the games across 86 events on the snow and the ice. These range from ice hockey and curling to luge and cross-country skiing.

5 The first games took place in 1924 in Chamonix, France, and they have visited eight countries. They took place in the same year as the summer games until 1994, when the Lillehammergames interrupted the sequence.

6 The closest Ireland have come to a medal came when Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon, 6th Baron of Wrottesley, finished fourth in the Men’s Skeleton event in 2002, at Salt Lake City.

7 Ireland’s 2010 hopefuls include the two-woman bobsled team, skeleton athlete Patrick Shannon and Alpine skier Kirsty McGarry, who will be hoping to improve on her 32nd-placed finish in Turin in 2006.

8 Eighty nations participated in the 2006 games in Turin, a massive increase over the lifespan of the event. Just 16 took part in 1924.

9 Ski cross is making its debut in Vancouver. A variation of motocross, it is a timed racing event that takes in the skills of freestyle skiing.

10 The 2010 games are being organised by Irish emigrantJohn Furlong who hails from Tipperary and played GAA, basketball and handball before leaving for Canada more than 30 years ago, where he became Canadian national squash champion.

Well, most of you guys probably do know them - anyway.

god aften,

Hvordan har du det?

I can't speak Danish, but I like Denmark very much - I had been quite often to Denmark recently - I am from Hamburg...

Jamen god aften,

alting går rigtig godt her. ;)

Denmark is really nice except for all the snow we've had for the last month is getting a little annoying now.

Are you going to Vancouver in February?

Just a question for those who keep track of such things. He mentions that 80 nations took part in Torino. I don't include the Virgin Islands because Anne Abernathy (aka Grandma Luge), broke her wrist in practice and withdrew. Does anybody count a nation as competing simply because they were present at the Opening Ceremony?

Just a question for those who keep track of such things. He mentions that 80 nations took part in Torino. I don't include the Virgin Islands because Anne Abernathy (aka Grandma Luge), broke her wrist in practice and withdrew. Does anybody count a nation as competing simply because they were present at the Opening Ceremony?

Practice still counts as presence in the competition, as only people who qualified would be able to practice. I.e. the Virgin Islands qualified for the Olympics with Anne, and she was just unable to complete the competition. She still officially "competed" as she qualified and was present with the intent of competition.

Practice still counts as presence in the competition, as only people who qualified would be able to practice. I.e. the Virgin Islands qualified for the Olympics with Anne, and she was just unable to complete the competition. She still officially "competed" as she qualified and was present with the intent of competition.

That's good enough for me. I'll update my lists to include Anne as well as the Puerto Rican bobsled team in 2002 which had a similar issue.

Japan's Vancouver Olympic delegation launched

The Japanese delegation for the upcoming Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver was officially launched at a ceremony in Tokyo on Monday.

Around 90 members of the delegation, which currently comprises 86 athletes and 102 officials for the Feb. 12-28 Games, were present at the ceremony, which was also attended by Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko and Japanese Olympic Committee president Tsunekazu Takeda.

JOC chief Takeda handed the delegation flag to flag-bearer and 38-year-old speedskater Tomomi Okazaki via Chef de Mission Seiko Hashimoto, a seven-time Olympian and the first woman ever to head the Japanese team at a Summer Games or Winter Olympics.

Japan is aiming to improve on its dismal showing in Turin four years ago, where it won just one medal, the gold delivered by figure skater Shizuka Arakawa.

Japan's medals hopes rest largely on figure skaters Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Daisuke Takahashi while women's moguls freestyle skier Aiko Uemura is also expected to make the podium.

Veteran ski jumper Noriaki Kasai will be the first athlete in history to represent Japan in six consecutive Winter Games. Japan's ski jumpers and speed skaters could also deliver medals.

Japan Times

Korea Sending 45 to Olympics

The Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) announced Tuesday that it has finalized its roster for the Games and will dispatch 45 athletes in four disciplines ­ skating, skiing, biathlon and sliding ­ to next month’s quadrennial event.

The total of 45 is the second-largest group of athletes Korea has sent to the Winter Games, just shy of the 48 Olympians from the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. However, with the addition of 37 officials, including coaches, the 82-strong 2010 Korean contingent that will march into BC Place in downtown Vancouver for the Opening Ceremonies will be the largest ever ­ seven more than in 2002.

Korea Times

Ireland will definitely send for the first time women's bobsledders. Pilot Aoife Holey and breakwoman Leona Byrne will make Irish Winter Olympic history for in Vancouver in that event. Alpine downhill skiier Shane O'Conner already qualified. The full squad will get announced next week with possibly skiier Kirsty McGarry, currently recovering from injury, and cross country skiier Paul Griffin added on.

I already started a topic about the New Zealand Olympic team being named before I saw this topic. The New Zealand Olympic Committee Today announced a team of 10 to compete in Vancouver. We are still waiting for our Snow Boarding team to be announced but we expect at least 4 to be selected and maybe 5.

New Zealand will be competeing in the following sports:

Cross Country Skiing

Skeleton

Skating

Freeski

Alpine Ski

Also Snowboard (Team still to be selected)

Fifty-one athletes to represent Ukraine in Winter Olympics in Vancouver

KYIV, January 22. /UKRINFORM/. The executive committee of the Ukrainian National Olympic Committee has approved the staff of the Ukrainian national squad for participation in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.

Fifty-one athletes will represent Ukraine in the 21st Winter Olympics.

Ukrainian sportsmen will compete in biathlon, figure skating, cross-country, ski jumping, Nordic combined, luge, freestyle skiing, and alpine skiing.

http://bsanna-news.ukrinform.ua/newsitem.php?id=12080〈=en

Russia names athletes for Vancouver Olympics

MOSCOW, Jan. 27 (Xinhua) -- A total of 175 athletes have been named for the Russian delegation for the Vancouver Olympic Games, Vladimir Vasin, vice president of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC), said on Tuesday.

Vasin was appointed as the head of the Russian delegation at a ROC meeting on Tuesday.

Russia dispatched 178 athletes to the 2006 Turin Games, but selection standards are much stricter this time, Vasin told reporters after the meeting.

He added that there might be changes in the list and a final one would be announced on Feb. 1.

Also on Tuesday, Sport Minister Vitaly Mutko said Russian athletes will participate in 75 of the 86 events at the Vancouver Games. But he stressed that the Russian delegation made no special plan to claim gold medals.

The Russian government will award 100,000 euros (about 140,000 U.S. dollars) to gold medalists, 60,000 euros (84,000 dollars) to silver and 40,000 euros (56,000 dollars) to bronze, Mutko said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2010-01/27/c_13153202.htm

Tonga and Gabon didn't get any qualification spots, but Ghana did.

Kwame Nkrumah Acheampong, dubbed the Snow Leopard, is competing for Ghana in the upcoming Games - the sole representative of his sub-Saharan African country and the first Ghanaian to compete in a Winter Olympics.

Acheampong has footed almost all his own Olympic costs, but thanks to local supporters he now arrives at the mountain in a brand new leopard-print car with a sign on the side saying "live leopard on board.''

With only six years of competitive skiing behind him, Acheampong admits he's a long-shot for a medal, but he says for him success will mean just finishing the race.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/cross-country-skiing/news/newsid=29400.html