Competing Nations

Faster

So far 52 nations have qualified for the Olympics, of those Ghana, Bahamas, Gabon, Malta and the Cayman Islands will make their debuts and Tonga is likely to be given a spot in luge to make their debut. Interestingly 5 of the 6 are commonwealth nations. Also Jamaica will makes its reappearance to the games. The Jamaicans have been training in Whistler for about a year now. 84 countries are likely to be competing in Vancouver, 4 more then in Torino.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far 52 nations have qualified for the Olympics, of those Ghana, Bahamas, Gabon, Malta and the Cayman Islands will make their debuts and Tonga is likely to be given a spot in luge to make their debut. Interestingly 5 of the 6 are commonwealth nations. Also Jamaica will makes its reappearance to the games. The Jamaicans have been training in Whistler for about a year now. 84 countries are likely to be competing in Vancouver, 4 more then in Torino.

How do you know this all?

Do you have a list with the 52 nations?

The projection is based on comparing the current Vancouver list with the Torino list.

The so far confirmed competitors are:

Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Bulgaria, Belarus, Canada, Cayman Islands, China, Chinese Taipei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Gabon, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, India, Iran, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, North Korea, South Korea, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, USA and Ukraine.

That list is far from final. More nations will qualify athletes and some of those who have only one athlete run the risk of not being able to participate should that athlete suffer an injury in the months leading to the Games (I hardly believe the Bahamas have another athlete to replace the one who has qualified). I remember the final list at Torino was only set the day of the opening ceremony and a number of nations that were listed the day before such as Mexico, Jamaica, Pakistan, and Peru were deleted and did not participate.

I'm glad the winter games are slowly attracting more nations and the medal winners have been getting more varied.

But that doesn't really make competition any better. I mean those new nations are in there for some semblance of 'universaility'...but will they really upgrade the competition? I don't think so.

All ticket -holders next year should be grateful that the Ceremony will be indoors otherwise adding all those 'extraneous' nations just prolongs the whole evening unnnecessarily.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

That list is far from final. More nations will qualify athletes and some of those who have only one athlete run the risk of not being able to participate should that athlete suffer an injury in the months leading to the Games (I hardly believe the Bahamas have another athlete to replace the one who has qualified). I remember the final list at Torino was only set the day of the opening ceremony and a number of nations that were listed the day before such as Mexico, Jamaica, Pakistan, and Peru were deleted and did not participate.

Good point

New Zealand will probably have a team of 10-15 competing. No real medal chances but we will be looking for top 10 results

*sigh* Something has to be done about the state of winter sports in NZ. I get so embarrassed everytime the winter games roll around.

Why should you, New Zealand punches well above their weight in the sports world, just because you all are rubbish at winter sport shouldn't make you embarrassed. If I was a Kiwi I would be proud of the sporting accomplishments of the 4 million population, irregardless of how well/badly they do over the course of the entire spectrum of sports competition.

Why should you, New Zealand punches well above their weight in the sports world, just because you all are rubbish at winter sport shouldn't make you embarrassed. If I was a Kiwi I would be proud of the sporting accomplishments of the 4 million population, irregardless of how well/badly they do over the course of the entire spectrum of sports competition.

Thanks but we should do better at winter sports. It is embarrassing when the winter games comes along.

What events did Gabon and Malta qualify for? I don't even think Gabon is a member of any winter sport federation.

They may have a student at some university in No America or Europe who indulges in a little skiing or X-country...and that qualifies them to enter the Games if there is room in the Villages.

I heard a while back that Tonga was going to try to train someone to compete in luge (or maybe skeleton) and they would spend most of the fall & winter training in Germany, however last I heard virtually no one was interested. Anyone hear anything more on that?

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely proud of my country’s sporting achievements at the Olympic level, but that doesn’t mean we have to accept mediocrity when it comes to the winter games. I’m not saying NZ should be topping the medal table but the fact that I can count on one hand the number of times NZ has either came close to or medalled in an event at the winter games is disgraceful. The fact is winter sports don’t receive the proportional funding by our governments sporting body that they should and therefore we continually see our athletes not fulfilling their potential, with not sign of general improvement.

I’m good friends with Ben Sanford, NZ’s top skeleton racer. Ben came in 10th place at the finals in Torino, yet he gets less than half the funding than a kiwi athletes who placed 12th-16th at Beijing would. This guy is NZ’s finest male winter athlete yet he’s still unfairly dismissed by NZ sports funding agency. It’s a common story among winter athletes in NZ.

That’s what I’m embarrassed about.

Annelise Coberger?

My point exactly. 1 silver medal + plus a couple of 4th places in short tack in 1992/1994.

New Zealand will probably have a team of 10-15 competing. No real medal chances but we will be looking for top 10 results

Spain is more or less in the same situation. Maybe we can get a medal from María José Rienda in women's skiing, she finished 13th in Turin but was one of the favourites... However, four years ago Jordi Font finished surprisingly 4th in snowboarding, so we can have another surprise.

Let's see if we get our third Olympic winter medal in Vancouver!

• 1 month later...

The list at Wikipedia has gotten way out of hand as it now lists 97 countries. Someone took the names off the CTV website, which even stated that it was the list of competing nations in 2006, and put them on the Wikipedia list for 2010.

The list at Wikipedia has gotten way out of hand as it now lists 97 countries. Someone took the names off the CTV website, which even stated that it was the list of competing nations in 2006, and put them on the Wikipedia list for 2010.

Well, there is 97 nations that have expressed the desire to compete and have at least 1 athlete capable given pity quota spots.

Brazil will have 5 athletes:

Isabel Clark - Female's SBX (Best in South America, 14th in the world and 9th in the last OG)

Jhonathan Longhi - Male's Alpine Skiing (Born in Brasil and adopted by a Italian family with 3 years old)

Maya Harrison - Female's Alpine Skiing (Adopted by a Swiss family with 1 year old)

Leandro Ribela - Male's Cross-country

Jaqueline Mourão - Female's Cross-country (First Brazilian athlete to compete in a summer - Mountain Bike - and a winter OG)

Go Brazil! :P

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely proud of my country’s sporting achievements at the Olympic level, but that doesn’t mean we have to accept mediocrity when it comes to the winter games. I’m not saying NZ should be topping the medal table but the fact that I can count on one hand the number of times NZ has either came close to or medalled in an event at the winter games is disgraceful. The fact is winter sports don’t receive the proportional funding by our governments sporting body that they should and therefore we continually see our athletes not fulfilling their potential, with not sign of general improvement.

I’m good friends with Ben Sanford, NZ’s top skeleton racer. Ben came in 10th place at the finals in Torino, yet he gets less than half the funding than a kiwi athletes who placed 12th-16th at Beijing would. This guy is NZ’s finest male winter athlete yet he’s still unfairly dismissed by NZ sports funding agency. It’s a common story among winter athletes in NZ.

That’s what I’m embarrassed about.

My point exactly. 1 silver medal + plus a couple of 4th places in short tack in 1992/1994.

How do you think Ben will go in Vancouver? Lets hope he can improve on Turin 4 years ago

I can see here again similarities between New Zealand and Spain at winter sports. I also think my country should do it better. So far, we have two Olympic winter medals (gold in Sapporo 1972 and bronze in Albertville 1992) and a 4th place in Turin 2006.

At least, Spain will make its Olympic debut in figure skating and probably skeleton in Vancouver 2010. Go Spain! :P

• 2 weeks later...
he Peruvian NOC has informed, for the first time in its Olympic history, Peru will take part in a few weeks’ time in the Olympic Winter Games. Indeed, Roberto Carcelen Flores has qualified for the cross-country skiing competition at the Vancouver Winter Games in February 2010.

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Media/?M...articleId=75959