International Rules 2005

Aussies win fiery finale

9:53:02 PM Fri 28 October, 2005

Paul Gough

Exclusive to afl.com.au

Australian captain Chris Johnson was sent off as his team clinched the Foster's International Rules Series at Telstra Dome on Friday night despite a much-improved performance from Ireland in the second Test.

In an often spiteful match, Australia prevailed 0.18.9 (63) to 0.11.9 (42) to record its biggest-ever series win over Ireland following last week's record 36-point win in the first Test at Subiaco.

The Australians' series victory means both countries have now won four series since the hybrid game resumed in 1998 with this result a huge turnaround on Ireland's 50 point aggregate win in last year's series in Ireland.

---------------------------------------------

Now obviously, AFL backers could "see" this as the next big thing in Australia, taking the place of soccer and creating another rival to the other major team sports of rugby and AFL. Certainly a more exciting game which i personally would like to see played at internatioal levels. Maybe with a "SuperBowl" like final held each year between the best club team from Australia/New Zealand vs Ireland/UK... maybe.. maybe not.. is ther any Irish on the boards.

Now obviously, AFL backers could "see" this as the next big thing in Australia, taking the place of soccer and creating another rival to the other major team sports of rugby and AFL. Certainly a more exciting game which i personally would like to see played at internatioal levels. Maybe with a "SuperBowl" like final held each year between the best club team from Australia/New Zealand vs Ireland/UK... maybe.. maybe not.. is ther any Irish on the boards.

:P  :laugh:

A hybrid Aussie Rules/Gaelic Rules game the precursor to international greatness?

Sorry, I cant stop laughing at the pitiful attempts of the rulies to try and claim some modicum of international credibility! It might be a religion in Vic, SA, WA and Tassie, but face it, the rest of the world doesn`t know and doesn`t care.

Archived