Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4gamesandcounting

Atlanta 1996 - Athletics Warm Up

I've always seen pictures of the stadium taken from behind looking towards the Baseball ground and the skyline. Where was the warm up track? Having been to Atlanta I can't imaging where it was. Anybody know?!

May be I'm wrong but I think the warm-up track was a half-mile away, east of the Olympic stadium.

It wasn't very convenient, athletes had to leave the heat of the warm-up track, spend 10 minutes in an air-conditioned bus to the stadium, then return to the heat.

A quick Google search threw this up:

ATLANTA 1996: 30 DAYS TO GO;Track Trials Raise a Host of Questions

Some athletes have complained that while other stadiums have an adjacent warm-up track, the Olympic Stadium warm-up track is a half-mile away. Athletes must leave the heat of the warm-up track, spend 10 minutes in an air-conditioned bus to the stadium, then return to the heat. Some have said they feel this climate change is partly responsible for the number of muscle cramps that have occurred during the trials.

"Since they built the stadium from the ground up and they were tearing down houses all over the place, you'd think they would find a few more to tear down and build a practice track," said Carl Lewis, the winner of eight Olympic gold medals.

Payne said that organizers thought it was inappropriate to displace families living near the stadium or on land that had been set aside for redevelopment to build a practice track.

"We're dealing with issues of choice," Payne said, adding that neither "Mr. Lewis nor any of the athletes live in, grew up in or have equity in" the neighborhoods surrounding the stadium.

Well, there was one close by.

On Opening Night, I braved driving to the Staidum area; and I found parking on a side street like 3 blocks away from the Stadium...yeah, it was not a neighborhood visitors would venture to; but I was not afraid. Anyway, the other track was there and I swear that one would've made more sense. But I just checked the map, and I guess they used the spiffier one at a nearby college -- I think at Spellman. But since I was/am not at all into T&F, I really didn't care where those people warmed up.

If I remembered, the only acces for spectator was coming from the north. I never have to passed south of the stadium.

To answer about the warm up place, I just check in book one of the Atlanta Official Report (at page 398) :

Training facilities met IAAF surface requirements and were equipped with athlete and management support facilities such as locker rooms, showers and offices. All sites (see figure 2) where within a 20-minute drive from the Olympic Village. The warm-up site was Cheney Stadium, 0.5 km from Olympic Stadium. A call track was provided in the stadium for final athlete preparation

figure 2 (for athletics)

- George C. Griffin Track, Emory University

- Grady Stadium

- Edwin C. Moses Track, Morehouse College

- Lakewood Stadium

- Panthersville Stadium

Now, if we check on Mapquest, we can see a track on the east of the Olympic Stadium

Don't know if the name is Cheney Stadium, but it seems at a 0.5 km distance.

(probably the place Baron saw)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Atlanta&...0:::::f:EN:M:/e

Exactly, but you said you weren't sure if that was Cheney stadium or not. I searched for Cheney Stadium and that's what came up.