Which Country Will Get Most Medals?

jerry

Ok, so I was looking over some stats on wikipedia from Torino 2006

The top nations ranked by number (and type) of medals were Germany, USA, Austria, Russia and Canada on 5th.

The all time top is: Norway, USA, Austria, Finland and Germany, with Canada on 8th place.

What do you think, will Canada do better this time? Considering it's the host nation.

Of course, Canada will be the team to beat.

I dont expect the German team to finish on the top. But honestly, it doesnt bother me. There are a few athletes, that I support (like Neuner, Kircheisen, Loch or Friesinger-Postma), but the the majority of the team dosent excite me (Greis, Riesch, Angerer, Savchenko&Szolkowy or Wilhelm).

On the other hand I am hoping for David Murdoch and Anette Norberg in curling, Svindal and Vonn in alpine skiing or Malysz in ski jumping.

Canada will be very strong. They'll most definitely break their curse and win the first Olympic gold medal at home. And there'll be many additional gold medals. I suppose they'll rank third at least.

Other tough contenders for the lead in the medal table are Norway, Germany, Russia and Austria. And the USA will be very strong as well, since those will practically be "home Games" for them, too.

So it's extremely difficult to make a prediction. With all those teams mentioned, we would have six candidates for the lead. And there could also be a dark horse like Sweden (after its impressive sixth place in Torino), Switzerland, Finland, France or Italy. Or our new superpower in sports, China. ;)

Well, I don't know. Maybe Norway will rank first, but that's only a wild guess.

The only countries whit any chance of finishing first are Germany, Canada, the United States, Austria, Russia and Norway. I personally predict a good battle between Germany and Canada, whit the US or Norway also in the mix (especially for the gold medal race).

In any case, I am certainly hopping Canada will be on top of the medal standing, its probably the best (if not the only) chance we will ever have of getting there.

China will probably have its best ever showing, but they won't be on top of the medal table. However, being the top Asian team and getting in the overall top 10 is quite likely for them.

Oh, and personally I am hopping that Tomasz Sikora will finally win an Olympic gold...

The only countries whit any chance of finishing first are Germany, Canada, the United States, Austria, Russia and Norway. I personally predict a good battle between Germany and Canada, whit the US or Norway also in the mix (especially for the gold medal race).

In any case, I am certainly hopping Canada will be on top of the medal standing, its probably the best (if not the only) chance we will ever have of getting there.

China will probably have its best ever showing, but they won't be on top of the medal table. However, being the top Asian team and getting in the overall top 10 is quite likely for them.

Oh, and personally I am hopping that Tomasz Sikora will finally win an Olympic gold...

South Korea also racks up a few medals. They usually do well in the short track speed skating.

But yeah, a battle between Germany, Canada, Norway, Austria, USA, Canada and Russia.

No doubt about Canada in the TOP 3

But, like I wrote before in this site. If we don't get the gold at the Men's Hockey, it will be consider as a disaster.

(and, unfortunelly, I can't see how we can beat Russia :( )

That kind of anticipation is really exciting though!

It's the whole 'can Canada do it...' kind of thing. I hope Canadians are not too down if they don't win however.

No doubt about Canada in the TOP 3

But, like I wrote before in this site. If we don't get the gold at the Men's Hockey, it will be consider as a disaster.

(and, unfortunelly, I can't see how we can beat Russia :( )

Which is a shame. Its just one event, and one of many (and certainly not our best, heck, one of our five or ten best) gold medal chance. Personally, I wouldn't give a damn if we finish twelfths in men's hockey and eights in women's hockey as long as we top the medal standing.

Oh, I forgot those nations.

I hear Zimbabwe is fielding a strong team. Their ice dance couple are supposedly spectacular! :lol:

Not only that, Mugabe and Tsvangirai are entering the two-man bob. Last I heard, though, there were disagreements over who was to steer the thing.

The men's hockey gold has a lot of meaning to a lot of Canadians, but frankly, while I'd like Canada to win it, I don't have any expectation of it. The international field for the game is really strong and nearly any of the teams could take it.

As for the medals. I expect Canada, Germany, and the USA in the Top 3 with Austria, Norway, and Russia on the cusp. But unlike the Summer Games, the Winter Games are less disparaging so there are a lot of countries in the Top 10 that are close in the medal standing and that order will be difficult to predict. Example... Norway is usually in there for a good medal haul, but they didn't fare so well in Torino golds, yet Sweden had a fantastic haul. I think Korea will remain the lead Asian winter sports medal power, but China will no doubt make a solid run at it. Don't know what Japan will do. They didn't do so well last Games.

Edited by Kendegra

Both the USA and Germany are currently in a decline, neither of them have the female speed skaters they had 4 and 8 years ago, both stand no chance in curling and men's hockey, the US is facing stiffer competition in Snowboardering events and the increase in non-traditional sports (snowboarding, freestyle skiing etc) is greatly hurting Germany. Norway remains strong in biathlon and cross-country skiing and this will lead to between 20 and 24 medals. The Austrians had a beyond expectation medal haul in Torino and I think they will come back down to Earth with a 18 to 22 medal showing. The USA will be between 22 and 26 in my mind (around were they were in Torino) and Germany will be between 26 and 30. Another thing that will deeply hurt the Americans, Germans and Koreans is the home medals that Canada will win in alpine skiing, speed skating, bobsleigh, skeleton, potentially luge and short track speed skating (also Canada has as a stronger team then we did in 2002). Canada has the potential to get as high as 40 medals but I think that between 28 and 34 is roughly were we will be. The Russians are also a team that will likely suffer due to the increased competition in both biathlon and cross country skiing and will not be able to use sports like freestyle skiing and snowboardering to get those extra medals to challenge the top 3 of Canada, USA and Germany. My overall prediction is Canada first in total medals, but I see a lot of silver and fewer gold, so I think the Norwegians or Germans will take the gold medal (and thus official medal table).

So

Canada 28 to 34

Germany 26 to 30

USA 22 to 26

Norway 20 to 24

Russia 20 to 24

Austria 18 to 22

Sweden, Switzerland, France, Italy, China, Korea, and Finland will all fall between 8 and 15 medals.

And I agree Goethe, I really want to se Axil Lund Svindal do extremely well this year and I hope Greis does not. Mind you I want to see Ole Einar Bjoerndalen do what he did 8 years ago.

I definitely think the medal leader will be between Canada, the US, and Germany. While the US will be facing stiffer competition in Snowboarding I could still see them sweeping the halfpipe with Shaun White, Kevin Pearce, and Danny Kass the 3 favorites all American. Also, the United States has a very good men's short track team and long track team, I do not however know much about the women's team. I also think it is ridiculous to say that the US has no chance in Hockey because every team has a chance and the US is going to be fielding a young, tough and hungry team that will run over the European teams with their size and physical play.

Despite my obvious bias toward my home country (as you can tell from my name) I still think that Canada may win slightly more medals and I think at best the US will win a Bronze in hockey and probably no medal at all. I'm just glad to be going.

GO USA!!!!!!!! and if they don't win I'm rooting for Canada!

I also think it is ridiculous to say that the US has no chance in Hockey because every team has a chance and the US is going to be fielding a young, tough and hungry team that will run over the European teams with their size and physical play.

You make it sound like European teams are 'weak'. Infact, The USA will struggle against the might of Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic. The USA is not the most formidable team in the world - other teams have bigger, badder and better players!

Infact, it's highly likely that other teams will probably dominate the USA. Russia is number 1 in the world and Canada is ranked number 2. So, I don't know where this feeling that the USA will dominate the weaker Europeans comes from - they are not physically better than the European teams - the reverse could be true though.

You make it sound like European teams are 'weak'. Infact, The USA will struggle against the might of Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic. The USA is not the most formidable team in the world - other teams have bigger, badder and better players!

Infact, it's highly likely that other teams will probably dominate the USA. Russia is number 1 in the world and Canada is ranked number 2. So, I don't know where this feeling that the USA will dominate the weaker Europeans comes from - they are not physically better than the European teams - the reverse could be true though.

North American hockey is different then European hockey. The style of game in North America is more physical, whereas the European game is more finesse and skill. The Canadian and American teams will probably be the biggest teams out there but the US does not have the scoring depth nor defensive depth to compete against Canada, Russia and Sweden, the consensus medalists. Though Sweden is in an aging decline and their younger generation is not nearly as good as the generation that is passing, the same in true of Finland. The Czech's have been a mess since they won it in 1998 and don't have the team to be able to compete against the much deeper Canadians, Russians and Swedes. The tournament being played on smaller ice will be somewhat of an advantage to the Canadians and Americans, but again the Americans do not have the defensive depth to take advantage of it. Ryan Miller or Tim Thomas will have to stand on their heads to even have a chance at a medal. Also with only Praise, Kessel and Kane as their main scorers, they are a pretty one-dimensional team. The game against Switzerland and Jonas Hiller will be tough for them if Hiller plays as well as he can with only a limited scoring attack. The USA will be fitting with Finland and Czech Republic for the final bye to the quarter-finals, unless Hiller comes up with a great game.

Finland or Czech Republic will be the opponent of Canada for the Bronze

Sweeden-Russia will battle for the Gold.

Sorry if i'm pessimist for my team (but I hope them the best)

I think you are giving the Swedes too much credit. They are not as good of a team as they were in 2006. Right now if I had to bet, Canada vs Russia in the final and Sweden vs Finland in the bronze medal game.

I'm not saying that the US has as much talent as some European teams like the Russians and the Swedes because they most definitely don't, I'm just saying that the US game plan for the 2010 Olympics is to go big and tough. Those are the type of players that they assembled in camp. The three players that Brian Burke, who is notorious for assembling somewhat dirty teams, raved about the most were David Backes, Dustin Brown and Ryan Kesler and I just don't think that most teams can match that physical play and toughness and those aren't the only power forwards that the US will bring. Once again I don't believe the US has enough talent to win the gold and I think they will end up around 4 or 5, I'm just saying that the finesse European teams (which is the prototypical style of European teams) will have a tough time handling the physicality of the Americans. Also, the North American game is generally more physical than the European game. Now the top players like Ovechkin and Malkin and Zetterberg etc will be able to handle the less talented Americans with ease, but the other players who are not used to that much physical play will definitely hate playing against the United States. I'm not trying to be an American homer, I'm just saying that it is a little ridiculous to say that they have no shot whatsoever. Perhaps me saying that they will run over the Europeans was a little much, I'm just saying that they are going to make up for their lack of finesse by being very physical and will definitely work very hard, but will probably fall short.

Uh....except that most of the players from Europe will have had NHL experience. Or WHL. So the whole "North American hockey is different" thing doesn't add up. The smaller ice sheets will speed things up a bit, that's all.

Uh....except that most of the players from Europe will have had NHL experience. Or WHL. So the whole "North American hockey is different" thing doesn't add up. The smaller ice sheets will speed things up a bit, that's all.

Definitely the Europeans with NHL experience will be able to handle the Americans, but the weaker teams like the Germans and the Swiss, Norway, Belarus and even some of the stronger teams will be sending players that have only played in Europe and they may have some trouble handling physical play. Playing physical against these teams will give the Americans a good shot at the semifinals. All I'm trying to say is that the Americans will be a very tough team and will have at least a shot at a medal. I am just saying that the Americans will be sending a team that is mostly based around big, strong players, more so than the rest of the traditional top teams because they have to compensate for a lack of skill.

The play is different, the style and coaching is different, even with NHL experience.