2005 Athletics World Champs

The 2005 Athletics world champs run from the 6th to the 14th of August. New Zealand is sending about 14 athletes and have genuine medal chances in the womens discus and shot put. We also have finals potential in the mens 1500m and Womens 5000m. WHat are the size of other nations squads and what are your medal potentials????

Beatrice Faumuina

Beatrice.jpg

Valerie Vili

vadams.jpg

Nick Willis

Willis1500.jpg

NZ did amazingly at the Fina world championships so hopefully we can carrey on with this success. Beatrice Faumuina (NZ’s Athens flag bearer) and Valerie Vili have shown excellent form this year. NZ hasn’t done too well in Athletics in resent year and hopefully Nick Willis can add to NZ great history in middle distance running.

Canada is sending 32 athletes with Medal potential with obviously Perdita Felicien (100m Hurdles), Mark Boswell (High Jump), Tyler Christopher (400m), Mens 4x100m Relay and Jeff Adams (200m Wheelchair).  Dana Ellis (Pole Vault), and Jason Tunks (Discus) are outside chances.

I predict maybe 2 medals for Canada but those listed have Top 8 potential.

Canada is sending 32 athletes with Medal potential with obviously Perdita Felicien (100m Hurdles), Mark Boswell (High Jump), Tyler Christopher (400m), Mens 4x100m Relay and Jeff Adams (200m Wheelchair).  Dana Ellis (Pole Vault), and Jason Tunks (Discus) are outside chances.

I predict maybe 2 medals for Canada but those listed have Top 8 potential.

don't forget Gary Reed.  Besides Felicien, I'd see he's actually our best shot at a medal.  He's been super hot this year.  He keeps on lowering the Canadian record in the 800 nearly ever time he races.  He came 4th in the Golden League meet on the weekend.

Australia will be lucky to medal.  Our only real chance is Craig Mottram in the longer track races (5,000 and 10,000 mts) and possibly one or two of our women road walkers.  I know our 4x400mts mens team fluked a silver in Athens, but I doubt we'll see much action medal wise in Helsinki.  We tend to have one or two high profile athletes (Cathy Freeman, etc) but across the board our team kind of sucks.

I will cheer them on from afar - but my expectations are low.

Australia will be lucky to medal.  Our only real chance is Craig Mottram in the longer track races (5,000 and 10,000 mts) and possibly one or two of our women road walkers.  I know our 4x400mts mens team fluked a silver in Athens, but I doubt we'll see much action medal wise in Helsinki.  We tend to have one or two high profile athletes (Cathy Freeman, etc) but across the board our team kind of sucks.

What about Jana Pittman? What body part will Australia obsess over this time?

puppt you have Dmitiriy Markov in pole volt, could win a medal if on form

Spain is sending a team of 51 athletes (33 men and 18 women); I hope we can do better than in Paris 2003, where we won 5 medals (3 silver and 2 bronze) and had 13 finalists, our best result until today.

:)

So who's going to be the star of the championships - an established name or a new performer on the world stage?

To be honest, I can't see far past Justin Gatlin. Now Asafa Powell is out, he is the overwhelming favourite in the 100 metres and must have a real shout in the 200 as well.

So who's going to be the star of the championships - an established name or a new performer on the world stage?

To be honest, I can't see far past Justin Gatlin. Now Asafa Powell is out, he is the overwhelming favourite in the 100 metres and must have a real shout in the 200 as well.

there are people that can beat him

Germany is sending 52 athletes. The smallest team ever. It will be the third event in a row without a gold medal for the German team.

The biggest medal hopefulls are:

Steffi Nerius (Leverkusen): Javelin

Nadine Kleinert (Magdeburg): Short put

Franka Dietzsch (Neubrandenburg): Discus

there are people that can beat him

I think the only man who can beat him over 100 metres won't be there.

And Mark Lewis-Francis won't be beating him after finishing fifth in his second round heat.

He has so much talent but he's wasting it. He needs to work out what he wants from athletics. He has the talent to be Olympic champion but he won't be if he carries on like this.

Archived