1000 Days To Go

Mr Tickle

This Saturday, 31 October, marks 1,000 days to go to the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

It’s another important milestone on the journey to 2012 and we’ll be marking it in a very special way. The London night sky is to be transformed as the BT Tower is lit up with a firework display. A big screen will announce that it's 1,000 days to go.

If you're in London, try to find a spot outside to watch the spectacle. Wherever you are, you can also tune in to the National Lottery Draw Show on BBC One between 8.45pm and 8.55pm to watch the moment live.

You read my mind there Michelle. Is a funky new website on this day too much to ask for?

You know, I often go to the London website, secretly praying that they will have changed the layout.... something new, exciting, fresh. Though, I'm always disappointed with the same old design.

Let's hope on Saturday we see a few changes.

Yep, dissapointing is an understatement. I think we've seen with the pictogram launch how good the brand can be when applied well. It'll be a shame if that's not continued. 1000 DTG seems as good a time as any to relaunch the brand and make everything look more professional...

Some more info on the BT Tower illuminations, it seems we're going to get a permanent countdown:

The BT Tower has been crowned with Europe's biggest LED screen, as part of the build-up to the 2012 Olympics. Floors 36 and 37 are now wrapped in a 59-metre-long screen built from more than half a million individual LEDs spread over an area of 280 square metres.

The screen is so luminous it can be seen from space at full brightness, the organisers say, and the words it displays will be legible throughout the city's West End.

The "1000 Days" campaign kicks off tomorrow night at 8.45pm, when the screen will be switched on with much pomp and pyrotechnics. The tower will then count down each day to the Olympics, and broadcast various inspirational messages intended to excite the public in the run-up to the Games.

Construction of the screen has involved:

– 2,700 separate trips in the lift to transport materials to the top of the tower

– Designing the scaffolding by computer and erecting more than seven miles of scaffolding components

– Installing nearly 2.5 miles of power, lighting and electrical cable

– 11,000 scaffold components

– Making nearly 1,500 wind checks, as no installation work could take place in winds of more than 15 knots

– 114 construction workers and engineers

– A total of 30,600 man hours to complete the work

– 11 weeks of construction

Link

awh, I was going to post this. OH well.

I'm looking foward to seeing unveil the london mascots next year. Being 1000 days until the games in 2012, I'm going to find out more about the venues especially Wembley Stadium. Isn't this great?

On the TV, that was a let down. I went on the iplayer especially to watch it. The lottery was a 10 minute show, London 2012 had a 2 minute slot, 1 minute 40 was Kelly Homes talking, the final 20 seconds was a brief look at the fireworks before "So, that was nice, onto the Lottery draws.."

Archived