Best Cities In World Timeout

emre

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Faded glory. I'll repeat: London never lost it's stature, and post WWII New York, Tokyo and L.A. ascended, while Paris is the only of the five that has lost relevance. Yes it's still in the top five, but it just isn't the influence it was pre-WWII. It's just a fact.

Subjectiveness is not "fact", it's just that, subjectiveness. If you think Tokyo is more important & more relevant than Paris, that's fine, you're entitled to YOUR opinion. But the general consensus is still New York, London & Paris.

And again, in another decade, Beijing will overshadow Tokyo anyway, & therefore the Japanese capital shall lose this overstated relevance that you're trumpeting about.

Subjectiveness is not "fact", it's just that, subjectiveness. If you think Tokyo is more important & more relevant than Paris, that's fine, you're entitled to YOUR opinion. But the general consensus is still New York, London & Paris.

And again, in another decade, Beijing will overshadow Tokyo anyway, & therefore the Japanese capital shall lose this overstated relevance that you're trumpeting about.

You mention the number of visitors to Paris, as well as it's monuments and landmarks. Why yes, museums are always popular tourist attractions. Rome is a museum. Paris is half way there. I'm not saying Paris is irrelevant, but it is the weakest of the top five.

As for Beijing, it isn't going to eclipse Tokyo in a decade. Not even two decades. Or three. Why? The people. There is a profound lack of sophistication in China. Unfortunately, the Chinese Communist Party stunted the cultural and social growth of it's people. This is why Mainland Chinese are anything but worldly in their outlook, and often come across as crude and rude. This is why before the Beijing games, there had to be public education campaigns about spitting in public and how to behave and act amongst foreigners.

Well, not according to BusinessWeek:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/10/10...ities/index.htm

And just like the Timeout article posted in this thread; the general consensus is always New York, London & Paris as the top 3. Tokyo sometimes comes in as #4 or 5 (& definitely in the top 10) but it never ranks in there in the top 3.

I'm not disputing nor downplaying (i.e. "has-been" Rome) Tokyo's relevance in the world (surely they're up there), but sorry, they're just not part of the Global triple-club.

And really, your comments about the Chinese are rather harsh, don't ya think. The French have always been regarded as "crude & rude" for decades, but yet their culture has been revered for centuries.

Well, not according to BusinessWeek:

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/10/10...ities/index.htm

And just like the Timeout article posted in this thread; the general consensus is always New York, London & Paris as the top 3. Tokyo sometimes comes in as #4 or 5 (& definitely in the top 10) but it never ranks in there in the top 3.

I'm not disputing nor downplaying (i.e. "has-been" Rome) Tokyo's relevance in the world (surely they're up there), but sorry, they're just not part of the Global triple-club.

And really, your comments about the Chinese are rather harsh, don't ya think. The French have always been regarded as "crude & rude" for decades, but yet their culture has been revered for centuries.

I don't think my comments about the Mainland Chinese is harsh, it's the unfortunate truth wrought by the CCP's rise to power in 1949. It was a really bad thing for China. China could possibly have been what Tokyo is today had it not been for the CCP.

I don't think we are going to agree on this.

I don't think my comments about the Mainland Chinese is harsh, it's the unfortunate truth wrought by the CCP's rise to power in 1949. It was a really bad thing for China. China could possibly have been what Tokyo is today had it not been for the CCP.

I don't think we are going to agree on this.

Which part. About the Chinese or Paris/Tokyo. :lol:

Either way, you're right on that aspect that we don't have an accord. Especially on Paris/Tokyo.

Tokyo may be a great metropolis, obviously of an important nation; but it is such an ersatz setting. Trying to be western but it really is not. Whereas Paris has always been the vanguard of a unique culture and (to me) probably the apotheosis of western civilization.

I mean let's just look at two seemingly insignificant details:

- Tokyo tried to copy/have its own Eiffel Tower; what Tokyo landmark has Paris tried to copy/plant on its landscape? Nothing. :blink:

- There is a Las Vegas Paris (as there is a New York! New York!). Why is there no Las Vegas Tokyo...or even a Las Vegas London?? :blink:

Further, one hears of the Athens of the north (Edinburgh); the Venice of the north (Amsterdam); the Paris of the Middle east (Beirut); why isn't there a Tokyo of the east, north, south, west? The only thing that comes closest to mind is WTF...Little Tokyo in Los Angeles...just a little enclave of Japanese immigrants.

Nah, Tokyo is up there with Mexico City as the 2 most populated megalopolises in the world but that's the only record I would concede to them.

- There is a Las Vegas Paris (as there is a New York! New York!). Why is there no Las Vegas Tokyo...or even a Las Vegas London?? :blink:

Not exactly a scientific barometer of a city's importance in the world! ...... although they do have a Camelot in Las Vegas.

Not exactly a scientific barometer of a city's importance in the world! ...... although they do have a Camelot in Las Vegas.

I would say it's a barometer of how iconic a city is.

So apparently, Paris and New York, as well as Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Venice, and Rio have a unique enough cultural identity to resonate in the Las Vegas tourist's psyche to afford them a resort on the Strip. :blink:

Tokyo may be a great metropolis, obviously of an important nation; but it is such an ersatz setting. Trying to be western but it really is not. Whereas Paris has always been the vanguard of a unique culture and (to me) probably the apotheosis of western civilization.

I mean let's just look at two seemingly insignificant details:

- Tokyo tried to copy/have its own Eiffel Tower; what Tokyo landmark has Paris tried to copy/plant on its landscape? Nothing. :blink:

Further, one hears of the Athens of the north (Edinburgh); the Venice of the north (Amsterdam); the Paris of the Middle east (Beirut); why isn't there a Tokyo of the east, north, south, west? The only thing that comes closest to mind is WTF...Little Tokyo in Los Angeles...just a little enclave of Japanese immigrants.

Nah, Tokyo is up there with Mexico City as the 2 most populated megalopolises in the world but that's the only record I would concede to them.

Both of your points are completely irrelevant. The Las Vegas on is self-explanatory. I mean hey, Las Vegas has a Sphinx and Pyramid too.

As for your other point, once again, that is just a relic of Paris' faded glory, and they are just old sayings. People still say "When in Rome..." but Rome is nothing today.

On a culturally influential level, Paris has one thing still going for it: Fashion. That's it. Yeah the food and wine are great, but it is in Italy as well. Pre-WWII Paris was one thing, but it rapidly lost significance in the latter half of half of the 20th Century. Pre-WWII Paris was the center of the art world. Post WWII? New York. All the other cities rose and became more powerful, while Paris sank. It's a beautiful city, it's still in the top five, but it's the weakest.

But you have to admit that Paris is one of the few cities in the world that radiates a certain 'ambiance' (as they themselves would say) with people all over the world.It just resonates with history,culture,style,fashion,beauty,romance in a way that no other city can exactly match.I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want to visit Paris at least once but that is not necessarily the case with any of the other cities mentioned.

Whilst cities like New York,London and Tokyo retain the financial clout,Paris and,I would say,Rome remain more fascinating and exciting places to visit for all the reasons mentioned above.They have just projected themselves into people's imaginations in a way that other cities have not quite been able to match for all their undoubted economic power.Just look at all the characters in books and films who go misty-eyed at the thought of being in Paris,"Ahhhh.....Pareee!" You never hear any of 'em going," Ahhhh.....London/New York/Tokyo!" etc. ;)

Paris has been marketing itself successfully for centuries.It continues to do so in the imaginations of most people.It may have lost much of its former political and economic clout,but it still radiates that aura of "La Belle Paris" that so captures the imaginations of people like Baron and millions of others around the world.For that simple reason,I think it will always be up there amongst the world's very top cities! B)

But you have to admit that Paris is one of the few cities in the world that radiates a certain 'ambiance' (as they themselves would say) with people all over the world.It just resonates with history,culture,style,fashion,beauty,romance in a way that no other city can exactly match.I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want to visit Paris at least once but that is not necessarily the case with any of the other cities mentioned.

Whilst cities like New York,London and Tokyo retain the financial clout,Paris and,I would say,Rome remain more fascinating and exciting places to visit for all the reasons mentioned above.They have just projected themselves into people's imaginations in a way that other cities have not quite been able to match for all their undoubted economic power.Just look at all the characters in books and films who go misty-eyed at the thought of being in Paris,"Ahhhh.....Pareee!" You never hear any of 'em going," Ahhhh.....London/New York/Tokyo!" etc. ;)

Paris has been marketing itself successfully for centuries.It continues to do so in the imaginations of most people.It may have lost much of its former political and economic clout,but it still radiates that aura of "La Belle Paris" that so captures the imaginations of people like Baron and millions of others around the world.For that simple reason,I think it will always be up there amongst the world's very top cities! B)

I absolutely agree with you. And I've said over and over again that Paris remains in the Top Five, no doubt. But as you even pointed out, Parisian/French political and economic clout has only dwindled since 1945.

I adore Paris. It is just so sophisticated, cultural and beautiful. It just has to be in the Top 3. New York deserves to be there just because everything is bigger, bolder brighter and more vibrant in New York. You nhave to love New York. London has to be there because it probably the most exciting city on the face of the earth. London has been called "the world in one city" for a good reason. So much culture, diversity and history. I cannot see any other city in the world competing with these 3.

Hong Kong is, unless you are in the 2% super rich, NOT a very nice place to live. It is just too dense. I think Singapore has a better quality of life even though it is more humid; and its population are more disciplined. The only thing HKG has going for it is that it has HKG Disneyland and Macau is close by.

Otherwise, it's a wretched city which I hate. I really hate the SURLY Hong Kong merchants.

I think all the cities are better with a bit of money - but I do take your point that some have more to offer than others (for example - all the free museums in London etc).

That said I first visited Hong Kong as a backpacker on a VERY limited budget and had a total blast!

The Harbour Ferry is iconic and super cheap, take the tram up to the peak and look down for free over one of the best city-scapes in the world. Go to the beach on honk kong island on the efficient, clean and cheap bus - and then move on to Stanley Market and some cheap food. Take another trip out to Lantau and see the giant Buddha. All quite cheap and easy. This survey is ranked on Architecture, Arts and Culture, Buzz, Food and Drink, Quality of Life and World status. I think Hong Kong ranks very high in most of these - so still surprised its not there.

I hate Paris - but still understand why its up there.

It's about all those things from the perspective of resident writers - that's what the ranking is based on, not the impressions of backpackers or holiday-makers. And what's cheap to you may not be for those resident there.

True - and that doesn't stop us having opinions about the survey which may be different to the resident writers.

My comments about what was cheap was a reaction to the comment from Baron based on my experience. Baron suggested that one reason whyu the city shouldn't be top 10 was that it was only good for the top 2% super rich - somewhere I'm most certainly not. I was just pointing that it can be done cheaply.

What is cheap for me compared to the residents is different in every differnt city. London as a great example can be hugely expensive - the same I think is true of Hong Kong.

I adore Paris. It is just so sophisticated, cultural and beautiful. It just has to be in the Top 3.

For tourists and visitation purposes yes.

London has to be there because it probably the most exciting city on the face of the earth.

London is important and strong when it comes to political and economic clout and influence, but excitement? Grey, and boring, even rather staid and cold in personality when compared to the other four. New York, Tokyo and Paris outrank London in terms of excitement and fascination. Even L.A. has a brighter personality.

London is important and strong when it comes to political and economic clout and influence, but excitement? Grey, and boring, even rather staid and cold in personality when compared to the other four. New York, Tokyo and Paris outrank London in terms of excitement and fascination. Even L.A. has a brighter personality.

I've spent quite a bit of time in New York (it is an amazing city) and Paris (I lived there for two years), and love them both very much. However, I find London a far more exciting city to live in - there's such a diversity in things to do in the city and such a different buzz in the various boroughs. Central Paris is SO beautiful, however, everywhere there is "Parisian" - the atmosphere, architecture, etc.....

London certainly has a faster pace than Paris - I have only found New York to have a comparable buzz out of any of the cities in the world I've visited. I'm never bored in London - there's never a shortage of different exhibitions or theatre to see (many of which are also free!), there's so many different cultural influences on the cuisine of the city, there are so many different pubs, bars and clubs all focussing on a different market.

I can't imagine how anyone could find London boring - to me it seems like a city that's got something for everyone!

I've spent quite a bit of time in New York (it is an amazing city) and Paris (I lived there for two years), and love them both very much. However, I find London a far more exciting city to live in - there's such a diversity in things to do in the city and such a different buzz in the various boroughs. Central Paris is SO beautiful, however, everywhere there is "Parisian" - the atmosphere, architecture, etc.....

London certainly has a faster pace than Paris - I have only found New York to have a comparable buzz out of any of the cities in the world I've visited. I'm never bored in London - there's never a shortage of different exhibitions or theatre to see (many of which are also free!), there's so many different cultural influences on the cuisine of the city, there are so many different pubs, bars and clubs all focussing on a different market.

I can't imagine how anyone could find London boring - to me it seems like a city that's got something for everyone!

Yeah London rather bored me (relative to the three other cities I have experienced out of the other four - I haven't been to Tokyo, as I've said - though just in videos and on television Tokyo looks dynamic and exciting). London has lots of theatre and museums, but it's too cold and reserved. I personally found Paris to be more like New York in personality - a little dirtier, and more chaotic, with more attitude. And up until recent times, "cuisine" and the name "London" would not have gone together in the same sentence. Britain overall isn't quite known for it's culinary delights.

You've hit it right on, Mainad! And that is precisely why Paris has been, & will continue to be, in the world's top 3.

I mean, who cares if Paris or France has lost some of it's political clout (& that subject is debatable in itself, but is a whole other thread), that's not really what people think of right off the top of their head anyway when thinking of the world's top-tier cities, including London & New York.

If one wants to talk about "political clout", then Beijing has to rank wayyyyyy up there no matter how "crude & rude" some people make the Chinese out to be.

If one wants to talk about "political clout", then Beijing has to rank wayyyyyy up there no matter how "crude & rude" some people make the Chinese out to be.

Or PyongChang for that matter since whatever utterance or move they make is of course watched with great and TOTAL interest by no less than the 4 major powers of the world!! :)

Yeah London rather bored me

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

— Samuel Johnson

Archived