PanAmerican Games - Rio de Janeiro 2007

can135

A video with the Speedway Sports Complex project presented by the Rio Sport Plaza Consortium :

SpeedWay Sports Complex

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the track remodeling at the end of the presentation :shocked:

South turn, farewell, North turn, gone. Finish straight? Not anymore.

There is a slump right near the track that could be used to build the stadiums, but the best way is change the track.

I simply can't understand that the track was built like that for a reason....

Rio Race Track after the works will be very similar to new China Race Track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More news :

The Rio Race Track Olympic Complex construction needs two things to start :

1st) The approvation of a Law by the Rio City Legislative Assembly that gives authorization to construct comercialls building in the Rio Race Track area.

Cesar Maia the Rio de Janeiro Mayor, sent the project and is waiting  the Rio City Legislative Assembly votations from 4 to 17 january to sign the Contract with the Rio Sport Plaza Consortium;

2nd) Carlos Roberto Osório, Secretary-General of the Pan American Games, said in a interview that the works of venues and planning of RIO2007 is going well.

I'll translate the interview.

Let´s save the race track from complete anihilation!!!!!

SOS Autodromo do Rio

It´s simply unnaceptable to not use the free space around the track, specially the houses built irregularly next to the track and let them build hotels and buildings INSIDE the track.

There is also an Orkut community of this subject.

The deputies are going tomorow to Rio Race Track are to see the houses that are built near the Jacarepagua Lake. Rio Cit Gov wants to remove that irregularly houses.

:suspect:

I think that we'll have problems......  :cry:

The conclusions of the deputies that yesterday went to Rio Race Track area was :

01 - The works in the Rio Race Track won't prejudice the people that lives near the Complex;

02 - People with houses near the Jacarepagua Lake will be removed because, that constructions aren't allowed in that ecological protection area;

03 - Next week deputies will vote and approve the changes in the law that allow comercials constructions in the Rio Race Track. With this in 17 january the Cesar Maia Rio's Mayor wiil sign the contract with Rio Sport Plaza to begin the works of Rio de Janeiro Olympic Complex in Rio Race Track.

Oxála !!

So is this a done deal yet, or could something go wrong between now and when the first bulldozer moves in to start construction?

with the project approvation next week, the contract will be signed with the consortium RIO Sport Plaza in January then the works of Rio Olympic Complex will begin in 60 days. With no more problems to the Complex will be ready to the Female Basketball World Championship and logical to the RIO2007 Pan Games.

The conclusions of the deputies that yesterday went to Rio Race Track area was :

01 - The works in the Rio Race Track won't prejudice the people that lives near the Complex;

02 - People with houses near the Jacarepagua Lake will be removed because, that constructions aren't allowed in that ecological protection area;

03 - Next week deputies will vote and approve the changes in the law that allow comercials constructions in the Rio Race Track. With this in 17 january the Cesar Maia Rio's Mayor wiil sign the contract with Rio Sport Plaza to begin the works of Rio de Janeiro Olympic Complex in Rio Race Track.

Oxála !!

My Comments to the 3 topics:

1 - It is obvious, after all it is inside the track.

2 - Should have done a long time ago

3 - That is the worst of them all. Go to the blog above and see what they plan for the race track. It is simply cut the track in HALF!!! to put one more soccer stadium (WHY??)

Patricia Amorim said it all this Sunday, when she said that for now "The Games are for the Constructors, not for the athletes".

It is simply unaccetable. With so much open space in the area, why inside the track?

Once again, click at the link below and see the REAL project...

SOS Autodromo do Rio

I will put the figure below my posts...

From Brazilian Newspaper OGLOBO in 11/01/2005 -

It's a article talking about the works progress of Olympic Stadium. There are news pictures of it.

The most valuable jewel of Pan

The João Havelange Olympic Stadium begins leaves of the ground and take form for the Pan American Games RIO2007

The dream left of the paper and began to take form in December 2004.  Now, the most valuable jewel of the Pan-american Games RIO2007, revitalization instrument of  of an devaluated area of city, enters in the complementation phase.  Conceived to be the most modern of the country, the Olympic Stadium João Havelange, the popular “Engenhão”, already has its first throw of bleachers.  In the next months, It will earn access porches, communications systems and an internal  heating area class one for athletes, requirement of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).

Odepa is going to inspect works in the day 25

— The forecast is to have the stadium ready to the Grand Prix of Athletics Final  — said, by email, the mayor Cesar Maia, referring to the event marked for September of 2006.  

The "Engenhão" is one of the cheapest stadiums in the relation cost by seat, in dollar.  Each one of the 45 thousand places — the capacity can be extended for 60 thousand — is orçado in US$ 1.705, lower value to of all of the stadiums built for the Euro-2004, in Portugal, but over the of the Olympic Stadium Guang Dong, in China, whose value is of US$ 1.488.  

The link of complete article in portuguese is in the end of this topic. Bellow some news pictures of the Stadium Works and a project vision :

Estadio10.jpgEstadio02.jpg

Estadio03.jpgEstadio05.jpg

Estadio06.jpgEstadio07.jpg

Estadio08.jpgEstadio01.jpg

050111_esp_28.gif

The most valuable jewel of PAN

Oxála !!

My Comments to the 3 topics:

1 - It is obvious, after all it is inside the track.

2 - Should have done a long time ago

3 - That is the worst of them all. Go to the blog above and see what they plan for the race track. It is simply cut the track in HALF!!! to put one more soccer stadium (WHY??)

Patricia Amorim said it all this Sunday, when she said that for now "The Games are for the Constructors, not for the athletes".

It is simply unaccetable. With so much open space in the area, why inside the track?

Once again, click at the link below and see the REAL project...

SOS Autodromo do Rio

I will put the figure below my posts...

Tenho perguntas para vocês mais acho que é melhor em inglês....

- How much space is really in the area of the racetrack, to justify the building of three sports facilities (velodrome, aquatic centre, sports arena), parking and support buildings within the perimeter?  what's this about a soccer stadium?  I don't understand why there needs to be another stadium when they are building one already, but that was something I didn't quite get about the 2012 bid either.

- Why not use present facilities, ones offered in the actual bid to host the Pan 2007?

- There are still ecological issues?  How is Jacarepaguá being protected when there is still development around it, be it houses or sports facilities or condos or other pretentious suburban things?

- So what they're doing is destroying the track?  Is it not being used?  I know Formula 1 isn't there anymore but aren't there other auto racing competitions being held there?

- Isn't there somewhere else this can be done, like somewhere more convenient to the population?  especially since the mass transport improvements they were touting for 2012 as being part of Pan 2007 aren't happening?  I just can't help but think that they are abandoning areas that could be redeveloped and could benefit from these facilities.

you don't have to address them item by item but it seems to me like things are either quite unclear or they are not going in a good direction.  the new stadium, though, is looking very nice and I hope it's as good as they say it will be, and can be put to good use.

First of all I don't work for Rio City Gov or CO-RIO2007, unfortunately..

- How much space is really in the area of the racetrack, to justify the building of three sports facilities (velodrome, aquatic centre, sports arena), parking and support buildings within the perimeter?

- So what they're doing is destroying the track?  Is it not being used?  I know Formula 1 isn't there anymore but aren't there other auto racing competitions being held there?

Really I don't have this information of racetrack area; Maybe the proximity of Rio Race Track from the Pan Village could justify the construction. Would be necessary to Rio City Gov buy an area to build the complex and Rio City Gov is the owner of the Rio Race Track. Then..

I think in my opinion that RIO City Gov could use different areas in the city to do this Olympic Park, to descentralize the Games and improve other areas of city like the Harbor area, the Leopoldina Railway Station, the area in front of the Carrefour Supermarket in Guadalupe district at Brasil Avenue in the suburbs and so many others. But they didn't did this..

The soccer stadium will built after the Pan in 2007. According the informations that I have read, Rio Plaza Consortium will use the soccer stadium to return the investments together the Arena. The Aquatic Center will be managed by the Rio City Gov.

- Why not use present facilities, ones offered in the actual bid to host the Pan 2007?

These venues and facilities were predicted in the RIO2007 bid to be built in the Rio Race Track, unfortenely the track will be preserved in the original project;

- There are still ecological issues?  How is Jacarepaguá being protected when there is still development around it, be it houses or sports facilities or condos or other pretentious suburban things?

No in relation the Rio Race Track but there are houses near the race track that houses were build in the Jacarepagua Lake boards. Only with this confusion about the Rio Race Track works the Rio City Gov pay attention for this detail. According the project voted yesterday these house will be removed. In relation a poor comunity the project previews that Rio City Gov made a reubarnization of the area. The Rio State Gov is making works in the Barra da Tijuca area to depolute the Jacarepagua Rivers Complex. It'll be ready to 2007 according the Rio State Gov...

- Isn't there somewhere else this can be done, like somewhere more convenient to the population?  especially since the mass transport improvements they were touting for 2012 as being part of Pan 2007 aren't happening?  I just can't help but think that they are abandoning areas that could be redeveloped and could benefit from these facilities.

Last weeks the Federal Gov approved the public-private partnerships (PPP's). The bill establishes general standards for the federal, state and municipal governments perform infrastructure project and service concession contracts with the private sector. Cesar Maia made a meeting last week, with 70 infrastructure companies and announced the interest of the Rio City Gov do projects in mass transport with them (TransPan, duplication of Lagoa-Barra freeway with a Rapid Bus Traffic System, transformation of the railway Central do Brasil in a surface subway system, construction of a freeway with a surface subway system between Barra da Tijuca and Brasil Avenue in the Military Village point). According They, all could be ready with PPP system before 2007....The Rio Olympic Park will be built with the PPP system. I said before my oppinion about they could use areas that could be redeveloped. The Rio harbor warehouses could be remodelated and will be used for example.

Look this is my point of view...

:upside: Ufa !!!!!!

I said before my oppinion about they could use areas that could be redeveloped. The Rio harbor warehouses could be remodelated and will be used for example.

this area would be great potential for a future Rio Olympic bid, IMO.

thanks for the perspective; I don't live in Brazil so I don't get all the good news.  =/

I said before my oppinion about they could use areas that could be redeveloped. The Rio harbor warehouses could be remodelated and will be used for example.

this area would be great potential for a future Rio Olympic bid, IMO.

thanks for the perspective; I don't live in Brazil so I don't get all the good news.  =/

The Rio City Gov has a project to remodelation of Rio Harbor take a look :

http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/ipp/pu_porto.htm

1 - How much space is really in the area of the racetrack, to justify the building of three sports facilities (velodrome, aquatic centre, sports arena), parking and support buildings within the perimeter?  what's this about a soccer stadium?  I don't understand why there needs to be another stadium when they are building one already, but that was something I didn't quite get about the 2012 bid either.

2 - Why not use present facilities, ones offered in the actual bid to host the Pan 2007?

3 - There are still ecological issues?  How is Jacarepaguá being protected when there is still development around it, be it houses or sports facilities or condos or other pretentious suburban things?

4 - So what they're doing is destroying the track?  Is it not being used?  I know Formula 1 isn't there anymore but aren't there other auto racing competitions being held there?

5 - Isn't there somewhere else this can be done, like somewhere more convenient to the population?  especially since the mass transport improvements they were touting for 2012 as being part of Pan 2007 aren't happening?  I just can't help but think that they are abandoning areas that could be redeveloped and could benefit from these facilities.

My turn :)

1 and 2- The original project for the race track included only the velodrome, the swimming center and the basketball arena.

Unfortunately, since our City Hall is getting out of money and, most important of all, only ONE company bidded for the complex. So, to become more attractive and more lucrative for the company, our mayor decided to change the Law that allowed changes in the purpose of the usage for non-sporting events, that´s why they now include the possibility for building an hotel, a mini-shopping.

Since there will be another soccer stadium at the Engenhao, another soccer stadium by the race track was obviously not necessary and I doubt there would be any usage for that like the Maracana Stadium for example.

IF you add a soccer stadium, a hotel and a minishopping, obviously the space outside the track is not enough, so the solution was to cut the track in half.

3 - Yes, there is ecological issues. That area is protected by law, but who changes the law is the City Hall, well you get the picture.

4 - The track is not used more because the City Hall but a rent fee of US$ 1,000.00-day for using the track. Outside car racing, can anyone spent this just for the right to use it? Anyway, last year I think the track was used at least for 15 weekends, including MotoGP, Stock Car, F-Renault, and even a 10k running race.

5 - You are absolutely right about using other areas. But take the example of Vila Autodromo slum near the track. Our brillian governor decided to give them an official permission for living there (it is still a state-owned area), so to sent people away to other areas will cost (a lot). So it is so much easier to built inside the track, which is owned by the State but the City Hall took the administration.

Summing up, like I said before. Our mayor ever since took the job in 2001 hated the place and never moved a single finger to fix the place. Still, people were trying to keep the place active and now the city hall wants to shut down for good.

Once again, this is becoming the Games for the Construction Companies, not for the athletes and the sporting community in general. Read the defense speech that was trying to be spoken at the City Council yesterday at the blog, but was prohibited. I guess it could be more explanatory that me.

SOS Autodromo do Rio

Hopefully, the CBA will do something to avoid this tragedy.

Just to clarifiy my position on the subject.

I love autoracing, I saw the Brazilian GP in 1983, when I was already 5 years and loving every single Formula 1 GP. I have seen MotoGP races and have ridden my bike at the track. It is a beautiful track. Even with the standings empty, it is a thrill to run down the main straight and imagine what is like flying over 300 Km/h at that straight.

But emotions apart, the place can be more used than it already is, even with the City Hall trying to prevent people from doing this. In the long term, hosting an international race brings much more to the city than building a couple of buildings. It favors the whole population instead of a dozen people involved in the construction sites.

I hope to see the F1 again at Jacarepagua, I want at least to watch the MotoGP every year. I won´t go there to watch a soccer match that I can go to Maracana to do this or to a shopping that already have a dozen at the Barra da Tijuca area that are still empty.

Unfortunately, in a soccer-crazed country, there isn´t many people that agree with me.

The Rio de Janeiro City Deputies Assembly approved in second round today 13 - 01 - 05 the law 75/2004 that change the land use in the RIO Race Track. With this decision the contract with the RIO Sport Plaza that will built the RIO Olympic Complex could be signed before the day 17.

Now I think that the CBA Automobile Brazilian Confederation could try an agree with the CO-RIO2007, to construct the complex with the original design, without the construction of the soccer stadium scheduled to be built after the Pan Games in 2007.

In the pictures bellow, the Arena, Velodrome and Aquatic Park will be built without the destruction of the track :

thumb_ARENA.jpgClick here to zoom the Arena image

thumb_VELODROMO.jpg  Click here to zoom the Velodrome image

thumb_AQUATICSCENTRE.jpgClick here to zoom the Aquatic Center

The Rio de Janeiro City Deputies Assembly approved in second round today 13 - 01 - 05 the law 75/2004 that change the land use in the RIO Race Track. With this decision the contract with the RIO Sport Plaza that will built the RIO Olympic Complex could be signed before the day 17.

Now I think that the CBA Automobile Brazilian Confederation could try an agree with the CO-RIO2007, to construct the complex with the original design, without the construction of the soccer stadium scheduled to be built after the Pan Games in 2007.

In the pictures bellow, the Arena, Velodrome and Aquatic Park will be built without the destruction of the track :

thumb_ARENA.jpgClick here to zoom the Arena image

thumb_VELODROMO.jpg  Click here to zoom the Velodrome image

thumb_AQUATICSCENTRE.jpgClick here to zoom the Aquatic Center

Can´t you see they were built out of proportion?

I mean look at the first picture. Have you been to the race track? There is no room to built an arena inside the North Turn. Unfortunately, I can´t show numbers, but if you look at the area, in that particular turn, there is no way to build without changing the track.

The Master Plan I put in my signature is the REAL plan.

And consider also the fact that it is not included the Soccer stadium and the hotel they will built.

Hopefully, the Brazilian Autoracing Comittee will fight for the maintaince of the race track.

----------------------------------------------

By the way, Mexico1968, the election for 2007 Games were in august 2002 by all the Odepa members in....Mexico City!!!!

How..exactly..and When..was Rio Chosed...??..how does the PanAmerican commite votes??

The thing im asking is for example..the Next Olympic city is chosen 7 years before the opening date..

When was rio choosed'??¡¡

when : 24th of August 2002

where : Mexico City

how : votes victory with 30 votes to 21

read more here :

http://www.rio2007.org.br/pan2007/ingles/sobre_vencemos.asp

So the city is choosen 5 years before...

So the 2011 city would be anounced in the 2006?

Something like that.  Except for the Olympic games which pick their sites some 7 years before the actual events, the World Cup and the other regional Games sort of vary in their lead time: from 5 to 7 years also.  But they are taking their cue from the IOC in probably giving as much lead time to prospective host cities -- so that there will be time for a switch if some catastrophe/force majeure event befalls the 1st chosen city/country.

Archived