Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

I really should love that parasol but I really can't. It looks so heavy and bulky.

It just goes to show everyone has different tastes if we all loved the same things it would be so dull, and there would be no need for these forumns

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem confused, and seem to have got yourself into a muddle. I've already said in another post I take your dislike of this as being sincere and completely valid, even though I don't share it. A sha

The problem is, I just can't take you seriously Rob. You have hardly shown yourself to be impartial, when it comes to anything London related. Of course, you are from London, naturally you defend your

/\/\/\/\/\ lol 1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's co

I like the basic form of the Oribt, and I love the idea of an infinitely looping structure with no obvious centre of gravity that looks like it shouldn't be standing. It's the execution which I'm really unconvinced of, and all the practical necessites such as the staircase and liftshaft detract from the overall form. A good lighting scheme and vibrant surroundings (as opposed to the dead-zone we have at the moment) might rescue it during the Games and when the viewing plaform is complete it'll look better also. But yet to be won round overall.

All I can say about the tower is... yuck.

It just looks like an amusement park ride. I find too jumbled, even repulsing a bit. It is my least favorite thing from London 2012, that and the ceiling in the aquatics center.

Most everything else looks fantastic.

I like it in the sunshine set against a green lawn background. Unfortunately, there are more non-sunny days than sunny in London. It might just work for the Olympics though. I just can't help think of what else we could have had for the money. Still, we have it now and it does look good in the sunshine. Let's hope that the lighting at night and the unveiling of the platform will change a few minds.

W/o sounding like a broken record, it just seems like a senseless waste of resources. And then supposedly, one of the themes of the Opening Ceremony is "...the rebirth of the poisoned Dock-parklands" there; and then with all the sparse, minimalistic elegant new Olympic buildings, you have this WTF? mish-mash aberration?? It just kinda gives lie to whatever theme Boyle & Co. are attempting. Since this isn't going away anytime soon, I think Boyle and his forces should rethink that "theme" because critics will just pick it apart.

Asset to the London 2012 Olympics or Boris' Folly?

I wonder what history's verdict will be?? :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the Olympic park today, and the wrap has finally come of the observation deck of the orbit,

the red metal work splaying out around the observation deck like the end of a giant trumpet is far clearer now and it resembles an eccentric euphonium or some bizarre musical instrument,

I still don’t think its completely finished but you get a pretty close.

Today I also went for the first time to the shopping centre which I have to say is very impressive, there are out door streets as well as covered ones so its not just one claustrophobic stuffy covered area. From the Olympic viewing area you get fantastic view of the stadium and Orbit , but you cant see the green landscaped areas of the park. Or the veladrom.

From the View tube visitor centre on the other side you can see how much work there still is to do and parts of the landscaping.

I notice they are planking a walk way over one of the canals to take pedestrians under the railway arch , it looked like that part of the canal will be completely planked over to create a wide enough walk way under the bridge, I have to say this was something I was wondering how they would get round it ,

They are constructing temporary structures along the canal opposite old ford lock and bridge building is still in progress.

Over all it impressive, progress is steady but still a lot to do , I can imaging later in the year activity could become frantic.

As for the amount of greenery ,

If you haven’t seen Britain in the summer time you haven’t seen it.

Here is picture I took today

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7204/6968003857_77dbf89caf_m.jpg

And here is a poster I saw in the You Tube Visitor Centre,

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7199/6821882824_d12e5b94ed_b.jpg

Also I forgot to mention from what I could see from the shopping centre viewing gallery it looks like you will be able to St Paul’s cathedral from from the top of the Orbit.

I cant wait to get up there as the view will be pretty stunning.

Thanks for sharing Rob - it really is amazing - love some of the pics on here!

Glad you like my pictures, and thanks for sharing them on here..

You'll all be amazed once like me you've been inside the Orbit. Just being at the base of it was amazing, and then being able to go up and be inside the viewing platforms was brilliant.

The staircase leading down had been completed that morning so I was one of the first people ever to walk from the viewing platform all the way down the spiral staircase of the orbit.

• Like 2

I just don't get it, it looks rally contrasting with London, don't elegant <_<

In 1952 they built the Skyline for the festival of Britain on the south bank in London, which was your 1950s vision of the future where everything’s geometrically perfect, and some would say elegant .If they built something like that today it would get mistaken for a communication tower or mobile phone mast .The Orbits is the opposite exocentric and off kilter, engineeringly and sculpturally impressive but also hand crafted and almost organic, like it grew out the ground. And dare I say like a Trifid it might start walking around.

You have to see it with you own eyes. I cant wait to get closer and go up it.

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be a vertical structure erected next in the top loop (next to the observation pod). It is higher than the pod, could this be a cauldron structure?

214dyrd.jpg

Unfortunately, I think this is the technical room for the elevator !