Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem confused, and seem to have got yourself into a muddle. I've already said in another post I take your dislike of this as being sincere and completely valid, even though I don't share it. A sha

The problem is, I just can't take you seriously Rob. You have hardly shown yourself to be impartial, when it comes to anything London related. Of course, you are from London, naturally you defend your

/\/\/\/\/\ lol 1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's co

OK, Galander, since I am the arbitrer here on MOST things visual, I will opine...

London's OK. Their venues are restrained and just right. Except for a few, they are NOT overnight mushrooms unlike those in Beijing, the Arab emirates and... They are NOT meant to impress. And the temporary venues say: these are good for two weeks, these are NOT going to be here for the ages.

Besides, Galander...what does London have to prove? This is the 3rd x for them. That backwater Beijing's only had it for what? One time. :rolleyes:

Been there; done that.

Personally, I LOVE the Equestrian and Beach volleyball venues at the Old Royal Naval Gollege and the Queen's Horse Guards Grounds. The almost symmetrical blend of old and new and temporary is JUST right!!

• Like 1

Well said Baron. What London has done is the polar opposite of Beijing. They did big show off expensive venues, some of which have become white elephants, that model would lock out a lot of future cities. London has shown simple venues, using existing landmark sites, and the use of temporary venues means an Olympics is viable in far more cities around the world.

They should be congratulated on doing that

What London has done is the polar opposite of Beijing. They did big show off expensive venues, some of which have become white elephants, that model would lock out a lot of future cities. London has shown simple venues, using existing landmark sites, and the use of temporary venues means an Olympics is viable in far more cities around the world.

I honestly think that's pushing it too far. London is surely putting on a smaller Games than Beijing and will leave fewer white elephants, but the city is spending about as much as Athens did, is building a big Olympic park, and is lucky to have several world class existing venues that can be utilised (most cities would have to build these from scratch).

It's not a model that allows far more cities into the Olympic fold in my opinion.

What it is a model for is good planning, and a sustainabilty of sorts. It's a model which shows the path for other mature democracies that want to host an Olympics, countries where neither oil money nor an authoritarian government will prop up the Games, and where spending is scrutinised to the last penny. And even this isn't of London's creation. We've simply refined a model which really had it's origins in Sydney's Games 11 years ago.

London's bid proposal was the most expensive amongst the five bidding cities for 2012, and that hasn't changed. Apart from the "no white elephants" aspect, what London is doing isn't the polar opposite of Beijing in my opinion. Beijing, for example, also used temporary venues, 7 of them in all, as have most Olympic hosts. London's are simply a bit more visible because some of the main venues have temporary elements.

Let's not kid ourselves into believing London's Games is doing anything to erode the fact that the Olympics is a luxury for richest cities, because it isn't. Only relative to Beijing is it a small Games, and that's not saying much.

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

I stand by what I said. London has turned the tide on each host out doing the spectacle of the previous hosts venues. And thats a good thing in my opinion. Hopefully Rio will learn from and build on what London has achieved rather than saying thats what London did lets make it, bigger and shinier.

I like London venues. They are simple but elegant and still have the feel of world class instalations. It's true that they expended a lot of money on the park but that was in order to revitalize an area of London which was pretty much ruined up because of pollution and disorganization.

IMO, i don't wanna see another olympic city which loses a lot of money on white elephants (specialy at venues for sports which aren't even remotely popular on their countries). Look what happened to Bird Nest. So much for being a jewel of architecture to be almost turned onto a mall.

Oh, and btw, that's not going to be the cauldron (i hope). Thomas Heatherwick was going to design it, remember?

I stand by what I said. London has turned the tide on each host out doing the spectacle of the previous hosts venues. And thats a good thing in my opinion. Hopefully Rio will learn from and build on what London has achieved rather than saying thats what London did lets make it, bigger and shinier.

Hmm the Lea Valley Park in which the Olympic park is situated is massive .London has bitten off a hell of a lot, and is still chewing, I hope London delivers most of what was promised.

I took this yesterday

6283344379_50693c15f0_b.jpg

A construction worker told me that this is a temporary bridge to take visitors from a coach park by the green way over Stratford high street in to the Olympic park. For the legacy after the games I would have though we would need a permanent fridge here.

Also The greenway on this side of Stratford high street hasn’t been landscaped yet.

I walked around some of the Fat walk rout as well of which some has been completed and some is just a path through undergrowth. And some not excisable.

London hasn't set out to be as anti-spectacle as you make it though.Or to re-phrase that, London hasn't deliberately dumbed down its designs for the sake of austerity. The velodrome is one of the most,if not the most, expensive ever built. Zaha Hadid's compromised aquatics centre is one of the most, if not the most, expensive swimming venues ever built.London's Olympic stadium is one of the most expensive stadiums ever built (although it looks cheap).

I think London has aimed high in terms of design and spectacle but has fallen short. The velodrome is stunning. No qualms there. But what was meant to be a real show stopper -- the aquatics centre-- has been handicapped by the wings whereas without them, it's an incredible structure to look at from the outside.

I think a lot of pro-London supporters are applying a convenient retrospective 'philosophy' to London's design ethos in order to lower expectations through their own sense of disappointment with the venues.Point is -- for £300million, the aquatics centre should NOT have been compromised in terms of design.And the main stadium, costing half a billion pounds should have more wow factor.

I stood in the stadium bowl and I went wow, so as far as Im concerned it's job well done, all we need now is the design for the wrap. Its all personal opinion, just like marmite.

The Velodrome is indeed magestic and the jewel in the crown closely followed by the stunning parkland. As far as Im concerned London wrote legacy into the design brief. The venues are being considered for their lifetime not just for the few weeks of competition. It is a risky move as the world will be watching for the few weeks rather than the years to come, but as far as Im concerned, london has been brave and should be applauded for it. If future hosts are as brave remains to be seen.

Thats my opinion anyway, whether Im the only person in the world that sees it that way, who knows.

But can you believe its less than 300 hundred days to go until the eyes of the world are on us!!!!!

Edited by daveypodmore

Here are some pictures I took today showing the loop to the top has been added

6299877429_0210d362cb_b.jpg

This is how the top of the orbit looks from Victoria park which is a very beautiful park next to the Olympic Park,

I walked across a bridge which connects Victoria park with hackney wick next to the Olympic park where they have been re-paving and adding sculptural street furniture

6299880213_d755ebcca2_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was at the Olympic park visitor center today , and the observation deck of the Orbit is looking a bit odd right now, they have wrapped it in some sort of green fabric and have put wooden hoardings around it inside the fabric.

This will all come off when its finished. I think its to stop debris like glass falling while they fit it out , someone also said it will have a revolving observation deck like the post office tower used to have , I don’t know if this is true but if it is it’s a great Idea .

I just hope they don’t do what they did at the Black pool tower and give it a reinforced glass floor,

I cant stand on those things.

I must confess, I am absolutely baffled as to why that awful-looking tower was allowed to be built next to the stadium there.... It absolutely detracts from the image of the stadium, although frankly I cannot imagine it seeming appropriate anywhere... maybe Vegas or Dubai? I will be curious o see how the TV media shows off that red monstrosity during the games as they do pan and flyover shots of the stadium and the olympic park. I would not be surprised if networks like NBC purposefully try to avoid including that tower in their camera views... Im sure the views FROM the tower looking into the stadium will be great though...

I really like the tower... I bet now many conisered inapropiate for London... Might be right... But 20 years from now will be a symbol for London... Same happened with Eiffel Tower :P

• Like 1

I really like the tower... I bet now many conisered inapropiate for London... Might be right... But 20 years from now will be a symbol for London... Same happened with Eiffel Tower :P

eiffel-tower-1.jpg

00004b15_medium.jpeg

Really? Somehow I don't think the Arcelormittal Orbit will become a treasured world landmark like the Eiffel Tower has... <_<

The Eiffel Tower is simple, symmetrical, understated and complex simultaneously whereas the Arcelormittal is chaotic, non-symmetrical, undefinable, and just a visual mess...

...And yay for me on my 100th post here :D

eiffel-tower-1.jpg

00004b15_medium.jpeg

Really? Somehow I don't think the Arcelormittal Orbit will become a treasured world landmark like the Eiffel Tower has... <_<

The Eiffel Tower is simple, symmetrical, understated and complex simultaneously whereas the Arcelormittal is chaotic, non-symmetrical, undefinable, and just a visual

mess...

...And yay for me on my 100th post here :D

Well, i havent seen these images... It looks messy and ugly... Maybe at night it will look good with lights ;)

Well, i havent seen these images... It looks messy and ugly... Maybe at night it will look good with lights ;)

How did you decide that you liked the Orbit tower if you had not seen what it looks like? :huh: (all I did was a quick google image search to find those 2 pictures) :huh: