Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

Still conflicted about this tower, here is an article of a recent monumental exibit by the artist at the Grand Palais. The shadows from the inside remind a bit of the Orbit.

Leviathan by Anish Kapoor

dezeen_Leviathan-by-Anish-Kapoor_21.jpg

dezeen_Leviathan-by-Anish-Kapoor_19.jpg

dezeen_Leviathan-by-Anish-Kapoor_09.jpg

MONUMENTA 2011

Anish Kapoor at the Grand Palais

Leviathan from 11th May to 23rd June 2011

Each year MONUMENTA invites an internationally-renowned artist to turn their vision to the vast Nave of Paris’ Grand Palais and to create a new artwork especially for this space. MONUMENTA is an artistic interaction on an unparalleled scale, filling 13,500m2 and a height of 35m.

For its fourth incarnation, the French Ministry for Culture and Communication has invited Anish Kapoor, one of his generation’s greatest artists, to produce a new work for the Nave’s monumental space, from 11th May to 23rd June 2011.

Thirty years after his first exhibition in Paris, MONUMENTA marks Anish Kapoor’s return to the French capital. He is considered as one of the most important sculptors of our time. His work has profoundly enlarged the scope of contemporary sculpture, as much by his mastery of monumental scale as by the colourful sensuality and apparent simplicity emanating from his works. All this contributes to the fascination they hold for the public at large, as demonstrated, for example, by the popular success of Cloud Gate in Chicago.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem confused, and seem to have got yourself into a muddle. I've already said in another post I take your dislike of this as being sincere and completely valid, even though I don't share it. A sha

The problem is, I just can't take you seriously Rob. You have hardly shown yourself to be impartial, when it comes to anything London related. Of course, you are from London, naturally you defend your

/\/\/\/\/\ lol 1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's co

I took these today.

Taken from the gangway leading to the dockside at the Millennium Dome

This picture shows the East India basin Nature reserve with the Orbit Sculpture tower and Olympic stadium behind.

6138278638_9f80641ec6_b.jpg

6137730133_b2a714ef9d_b.jpg

Also that’s one of the Twelve trees gasomiters to the right of the orbit.

Which will be made in to a visitor attraction after the Olympics.

• Like 1

I wouldn't really say I hate it, I suppose you could call me indifferent. I would have preferred something with a more simple design, perhaps something even more traditional looking like the Ling Long Pagoda. But no, I don't hate it, it works.

As expected I am starting to really like this tower day by day. The contrast of the red against the parklands is quite striking and I think it looks really great. My only problem - and quite a big one - is that it unbalances the park for me and deflects your eye from what should be the focal point of the park, the stadium. Have to say though, the parklands/flowers are looking quite incredible. We've not had an Olympic Park like this for such a long time. For me it's the jewel in the crown of London 2012.

Edited by Lee

God, it's truly HIDEOUS!!! Not a single bolt about it speaks to me of being aesthetic, let alone of any utilitarian value other than an ego trip for Boris Johnson and that Kapoor guy.

Blah blah blah boring - is that all you can say??!!! You haven't seen it in situ & IMO haven't a clue - in my view that's HIDEOUS!

I wouldn't really say I hate it, I suppose you could call me indifferent. I would have preferred something with a more simple design, perhaps something even more traditional looking like the Ling Long Pagoda. But no, I don't hate it, it works.

Ling long - please!??!!

Blah blah blah boring - is that all you can say??!!! You haven't seen it in situ & IMO haven't a clue - in my view that's HIDEOUS!

How many people out of the estimated TV audience of several billion people will "seen it in situ"? I take it all those people are 'hideous' aswell? Better tell lil' Maalik in Africa that he's "hideous" too for daring to not like the way this 'thing' looks. To say someone doesn't "have a clue" about the structure all because they think it's ugly obviously means you have some sense of nationalistic/personal-egoistical pride wrapped up in this tower -- so much so that you can't tolerate someone's OPINION of the aesthetic quality of the tower.

Add me to the group who think it's hideous too.It's basically a giant advertisement and ego-trip for Kapoor/Mittall and Boris Johnson who have sadly has implicated the taxpayer in it.

How many people out of the estimated TV audience of several billion people will "seen it in situ"? I take it all those people are 'hideous' aswell? Better tell lil' Maalik in Africa that he's "hideous" too for daring to not like the way this 'thing' looks. To say someone doesn't "have a clue" about the structure all because they think it's ugly obviously means you have some sense of nationalistic/personal-egoistical pride wrapped up in this tower -- so much so that you can't tolerate someone's OPINION of the aesthetic quality of the tower.

Add me to the group who think it's hideous too.It's basically a giant advertisement and ego-trip for Kapoor/Mittall and Boris Johnson who have sadly has implicated the taxpayer in it.

You're added to the list - of the philistines that inhabit this forum! I have posted against the baron's views on this before - take care to look back!

Nationalistic pride - u r a pr#ck! I live down the road from the park - this is one of the most deprived areas in the UK - so when I see something as brave as this in my community I am proud and happy to see it making a huge difference! I don't give a c#nt about what people like you think - just happy that the games have given hope and investment to MY community- is that OK with you? Also as a Londoner and a tax payer - Londoners paying the most towards these games!

I could add more - but to be honest can't be bothered!

• Like 1

You're added to the list - of the philistines that inhabit this forum! I have posted against the baron's views on this before - take care to look back!

Nationalistic pride - u r a pr#ck! I live down the road from the park - this is one of the most deprived areas in the UK - so when I see something as brave as this in my community I am proud and happy to see it making a huge difference! I don't give a c#nt about what people like you think - just happy that the games have given hope and investment to MY community- is that OK with you? Also as a Londoner and a tax payer - Londoners paying the most towards these games!

I could add more - but to be honest can't be bothered!

/\/\/\/\/\

lol

1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's completely valid opinions on a subjective topic.

2.So what if you live down the road from it -- people from Buenos Aires to Beijing will have to clap eyes on it when the world's media converges on London -- and they may not like it so you'll just need to "suck it up" as they say.Not everyone can see it in person and even if they could, not everyone will like it. Are you going to set up a tent beside the tower and question everyone about if they like it or not? lol

3. Hun, save the melodrama for Oprah or the Trisha show -- building a tower is not brave. Men and women fighting in wars is brave so let's not get silly now with language. It's a tower/artwork.And it's one MANY people dislike. Holler!

4.You say you don't give a crap what people think but yet attack anyone who dislikes it. Hence, you do care what people think -- especially when their thoughts don't match yours. Thus, this tower is like some cathartic, deeply personal/nationalistic expression of your own inferiority ; you can't abide people not liking it and take it as a personal attack on you hence your completely silly post.Whyo made you the Kapoor/Mittal gestapo internet agent?

5. Get a life.

• Like 1

On a slightly related note, the best part of the tower for me is the staircase.It looks the most resolved. And in my opinion, it's no accident that this section was designed by architects -- Ushida Findly, who are world renowned.