Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

The Orbit Tower is so hideous in my opinion.But if you are fans of the 'mangled rollercoaster after getting gangbanged by King Kong look' then I suppose the Tower is a triumph.

The tower neither feels sculptural or acts as a very good tower. Kapoor said he wanted the tower to look like it was collapsing but was held up -- that's just such a sh*t metaphor to apply to an Olympic tower in my view.

But the Tower does get Mittal some good advertisement for his steel company so from his perspective, all is good.

I wish people would stop comparing it to the Eiffel tower though -- it's not, nor will ever be, of the class of the Eiffel Tower.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem confused, and seem to have got yourself into a muddle. I've already said in another post I take your dislike of this as being sincere and completely valid, even though I don't share it. A sha

The problem is, I just can't take you seriously Rob. You have hardly shown yourself to be impartial, when it comes to anything London related. Of course, you are from London, naturally you defend your

/\/\/\/\/\ lol 1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's co

Weymouth Olympic sailing observation tower approved

Plans to build a £3m viewing tower at Weymouth seafront in Dorset in time for next year's Olympic sailing events have been given the go-ahead by councillors.

The 173ft (53m) structure at the top of Festival Pier will include a rotating pod that could hold 50 people.

Weymouth and Portland Borough Council approved the plans, with conditions, at a meeting earlier.

Merlin Entertainments, which submitted the application, said work was expected to begin on the attraction in November.

General manager Craig Dunkley said: "This is great news. We believe that the tower will be a must do attraction in Weymouth.

"The 360˚ panoramic views it will provide will be magnificent and leave lasting memories of Weymouth for everyone who visits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-14643381

s_11612.jpg

Can that be built in such a quick time. It looks similar to something Brighton were planning a few years back that never happened, I think it was a concept by the people that came up with the London Eye

I'm starting to like the Orbit. I just don't like it's height and location in relation to the Olympic stadium. I don't know about anyone else but it makes the whole park look a little disjointed to me.

I'm starting to like the Orbit. I just don't like it's height and location in relation to the Olympic stadium. I don't know about anyone else but it makes the whole park look a little disjointed to me.

Yeah, most everything in the park seems neat, and streamlined, and aesthetically pleasing. And then all of a sudden, you have this jumbled, tangled mess of steel...which really seems to serve no logical purpose. I mean if it were an observation deck, why could it not be more sparse and economical? That restraint would say a lot more than this irresponsible abuse of resources. Didn't the designer ever hear of LESS IS MORE?

Yeah, most everything in the park seems neat, and streamlined, and aesthetically pleasing. And then all of a sudden, you have this jumbled, tangled mess of steel...which really seems to serve no logical purpose. I mean if it were an observation deck, why could it not be more sparse and economical? That restraint would say a lot more than this irresponsible abuse of resources. Didn't the designer ever hear of LESS IS MORE?

I agree. To orbit is not in style with the rest of the park. But what are they gonna do with it after the games?

The name of the structure gives a clue Baron. This is an almighty advert for Mittal's steel since he is the person who is mostly funding it. It's completely at odds with the green ethos of the rest of the Park (reusing 98% of the cleaned industrial soil, using old gas pipes to build parts of the steel structure of the stadium, cleaned rivers, getting materials in by boat and rail etc).

It's easy to see, amongst the light economy of most of London 2012's building that this sticks out like a sore thumb. That's because it's neither LOCOG's or the ODA's baby, but the Mayor's and Mittal's. It was very much foisted on the Park.

That said, like Lee, I'm warming to it a bit more (though I'm still nervous about it at the same time). Certainly wawd's photos over on SSC show it has a sense of scale which is hard not to be impressed by.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=987879&page=65

That this thing stands upright is itself quite a feat of engineering and its sheer alienness makes is look like nothing else I've seen. I don't think it's beautiful, I hate the fact that it's basically a big advert for a steel magnate, and am nervous about how it'll look next to the cauldron tower, but it does have a wow factor to it set against the skyline.

I’m imagining that the caldron will be even taller(I could be wrong though)but I’m imagining the cauldron and flame will be visible from miles around. As I said earlier you get a good view of the orbit from three mills green I’m imagining the caldron will appear in the same vista ,designed by a different designer

But forming part of the same view.

I disagree in my prediction (though I could be wrong as well). I don't think, with the cauldron, they'll try to compete height-wise with a tower that's already there. Apart from anything else they're so close together that, even from a short distance away they'll merge as one in the skyline if they make them of similar heights, rather than appearing as two seperate towers in the same vista as you say.

I think the Orbit is analagous to Beijing's pagoda and the Heatherwick cauldron tower will be not much taller than the stadium. See my post from a few months back:

Can that be built in such a quick time. It looks similar to something Brighton were planning a few years back that never happened, I think it was a concept by the people that came up with the London Eye

The guy from Merlin in the video seemed very confident it could be built in time.

So we've got the Thames Cable Car, the floating walkway on the Thames, and now this tower at Weymouth all rushing to be ready for the Games!!! Whether you like the Orbit or not, at least it'll be done! :lol:

Didn't the designer ever hear of LESS IS MORE?

Anish Kappor is actually very talented. I've been to 2 of his exhibitions and was very impressed. I did think he had lost the plot a little with this latest project, but now I am starting to wonder...

Can that be built in such a quick time.

Knott's Berry Farm in Anaheim just built a similar attraction called the Windseeker. It didn't take long at all to setup. I think they got it up within four to five months. A tower with an elevator/observation deck shouldn't take long to setup.

Thanks for your photos TBF. From that angle and from that particular spot it is fugly. Weird how from some photos I'm warming to it, and from others I'm really disliking it.

Haven't seen it in person for a couple of months though.

I think the tower is a complete abomination.It's ugly as a sculpture and rather basic as a tower.

The Tower basically acts as an advertisement for Mittal. And his Indian buddy Kappoor is the man who is realising his Indian billionaires advertisement dream.

But it's the people of the UK who have to absorb the impact of the building.I don't think the visitors from the world will think it's awe-inspiring. They may however think 2e=what the **** is that mangled mess?"

In the area of the Tower, they could have built a cool public seating.sculpture realm based on the 4 nations of the UK for the Olympic visitors to sit and relax in between events. Oh, oops I forgot, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not to get any visibility during these games.

In the area of the Tower, they could have built a cool public seating.sculpture realm based on the 4 nations of the UK for the Olympic visitors to sit and relax in between events. Oh, oops I forgot, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have not to get any visibility during these games.

And that's because it's the London games and not the Cardiff, Belfast or Edinburgh games.

Edited by Lee

There's been nothing particularly English about London 2012's focus either. None of the home nations, as individual entities, are being given particular attention; all are invisible as one another. It's Team GB that is competing, and London that is hosting.

You'll have a very Scottish party in 2014, I'm sure. :D

Edited by RobH

You have to try to imagine it when its finished it looks bugling from any angle , also on the other side of three mills green is the twelve trees gasomiters which I also find fascinating,. And set the industrial style of the area.

You have to try to imagine it when its finished it looks Transfixing from any angle , also on the other side of three mills green is the twelve trees gasomiters which I also find fascinating,. And set the industrial style of the area.

Transfixing is what I meant.

Today I saw the Orbit from the dock side at the Millennium dome you can also see the triangular lights of the Olympic stadium behind Trinity Buoy wharf, you will also be able to see the coldron from there as well,this shows just how flat the Lee valley is as the stadium is a good 45 minute walk away from the mouth of the lea, I also discovered today that you can get a shuttle boat service form the millennium dome to trinity boiy wharf, its every small boat a bit like a life boat that only costs £2 to cross the Thames,(strangely called the predator)

The Thames clipper I got from the London eye was fantastic , but it doesn’t stop at Trinity boy wharf.

It cruses though central London at a good pace before accelerating at Rotherhithe to the speed of a speed boat, on hydrofoils you can stand outside while it does this , and I have to say its exhilarating, wind whistling through your hair ect. The London eye to the Millennium dome Only cost £3.90 as well, that was with an Oyster card, so it was good value all round.

I can most highly recommend this trip.