Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

Mr Tickle

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really see what it adds to the locale. Has it won any design award endorsements? All the new structures in the park seem to be in harmony with each other. All have sleek and simple lines.. like a small, quiet World's Fair...or at least do not clash with each other. And then all of a sudden, here's this Tinker Toy structure gone mad. Sort of makes Atlanta's oil derrick cauldron now look classic.

I'm sorry. I think it's a travesty. Absolutely horrific. I expected so much better from London.

A wee bit dramatic? A travesty to what - London - the Olympic Games - humankind?

I don't really see what it adds to the locale. Has it won any design award endorsements? All the new structures in the park seem to be in harmony with each other. All have sleek and simple lines.. like a small, quiet World's Fair...or at least do not clash with each other. And then all of a sudden, here's this Tinker Toy structure gone mad. Sort of makes Atlanta's oil derrick cauldron now look classic.

I know you don't like it but when you see it in situ you can appreciate it's dramatic effect & it fits this post industrial landscape really well! Sorry though - nothing IMO could make Atlanta's cauldron look classy.

Have to agree - it's hideous and really is a blot on the landscape, and will take attention away from the Olympic Cauldron itself, which should be the structure which dominates the skyline of the park.

Unfortunately it's a Boris Johnson/Conservative vanity project - private funds could have been put to better use elsewhere.

I went down to the view tube on Friday. Im not the orbits biggest fan, I always wanted to reserve judgement until it was built. I can honestly say from someone who hated the design when I first saw it. When you are standing in the Olympic park you can't take your eyes off it. The reality of it is so much better. I really do feel it sits well next to the stadium, it has the same industrial feel.

I think the design could have been so much nicer, but when you are confronted with it its a pretty amazing structure. It puts a smile on your face too.

I really do feel it sits well next to the stadium, it has the same industrial feel.

And when the stadium gets down-sized, then wouldn't this monstrous thing dominate the whole neigborhood? How did they get financing for that thing?

God, I wonder if the apartments on the exposure side in the Village facing that...that thing...would command better or worse prices than those NOT facing it? :blink:

Have to agree - it's hideous and really is a blot on the landscape, and will take attention away from the Olympic Cauldron itself, which should be the structure which dominates the skyline of the park.

Unfortunately it's a Boris Johnson/Conservative vanity project - private funds could have been put to better use elsewhere.

Have you been to see it yet? If so - ok that's your opinion. I can assure you it ain't a blot on the landscape. Is it controversial - yes!!!

We don't know what the cauldron will be like yet - so you are speculating it will take attention from that.

Is it a Boris Johnson - Tory vanity project - yes - I agree!

The stadium isnt been down sized, its gonna stay as it is. It feels very weird trying to convince people how brilliant and mad it looks in reality when Im not a big fan of the design.

Thats just how I felt, I hate it but its wonderful all at the same time.

Thats how I feel about London in general a lot of the time though, its crazy, maddening and mish mash of random things, but its wonderful and puts a smile on your face too and I wouldnt have it any other way. So in that way it fits the city perfectly. London isnt sleek and slick, its quirky and odd and maddening.

And when the stadium gets down-sized, then wouldn't this monstrous thing dominate the whole neigborhood? How did they get financing for that thing?

God, I wonder if the apartments on the exposure side in the Village facing that...that thing...would command better or worse prices than those NOT facing it? :blink:

Baron - I know what you are saying - but to be honest London is a strange animal - this part of London can "absorb" this. This is part of a great city that was bombed to bits in the Second World War - destroyed even further in the when the social engineers got involved.

Kapoor is a feted artist in th UK & Europe - I would imagine those flats will go for a premium.

I live in east London and am proud that the Olympics are coming to my manor & that ths structure s going to be beacon for the park and the east for years to come! I also appreciate that it's not "everyone's cup of tea".

Baron - I know what you are saying - but to be honest London is a strange animal - this part of London can "absorb" this. This is part of a great city that was bombed to bits in the Second World War - destroyed even further in the when the social engineers got involved.

Kapoor is a feted artist in th UK & Europe - I would imagine those flats will go for a premium.

I live in east London and am proud that the Olympics are coming to my manor & that ths structure s going to be beacon for the park and the east for years to come! I also appreciate that it's not "everyone's cup of tea".

OK; if you locals residents say so.

But I am going to sort of take an informal pulse next year of how many TV shots will include that tower in focus. ;)

I went down to the view tube on Friday. Im not the orbits biggest fan, I always wanted to reserve judgement until it was built. I can honestly say from someone who hated the design when I first saw it. When you are standing in the Olympic park you can't take your eyes off it.

Is that a good thing though. Surely it should be the stadia and when built the cauldron that grabs you eyeline, bot some unconnected tower.

• 4 weeks later...

6067118730_ded6365980_b.jpg

I just got back from the Olympic park and the Orbit Looks sensational, no pictures do it justice, it will be best new landmark for London since Tower Bridge.

Also I walked to three mills green which has just been re-landscaped it looks fantastic and you can see the Orbit and the Olympic stadium from the centre of the green probably the cauldron when it is built to.

The structure has grown on me - but it's the location I hate. The Olympic Cauldron should dominate that area, not Boris's tower.

I don’t really think its Boris’s tower , I think we would have seen a large sculpture in the Olympic park who ever the Mayor was.

I’m imagining that the caldron will be even taller(I could be wrong though)but I’m imagining the cauldron and flame will be visible from miles around. As I said earlier you get a good view of the orbit from three mills green I’m imagining the caldron will appear in the same vista ,designed by a different designer

But forming part of the same view.

Weymouth Olympic sailing observation tower approved

Plans to build a £3m viewing tower at Weymouth seafront in Dorset in time for next year's Olympic sailing events have been given the go-ahead by councillors.

The 173ft (53m) structure at the top of Festival Pier will include a rotating pod that could hold 50 people.

Weymouth and Portland Borough Council approved the plans, with conditions, at a meeting earlier.

Merlin Entertainments, which submitted the application, said work was expected to begin on the attraction in November.

General manager Craig Dunkley said: "This is great news. We believe that the tower will be a must do attraction in Weymouth.

"The 360˚ panoramic views it will provide will be magnificent and leave lasting memories of Weymouth for everyone who visits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-14643381

s_11612.jpg

Archived