Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem confused, and seem to have got yourself into a muddle. I've already said in another post I take your dislike of this as being sincere and completely valid, even though I don't share it. A sha

The problem is, I just can't take you seriously Rob. You have hardly shown yourself to be impartial, when it comes to anything London related. Of course, you are from London, naturally you defend your

/\/\/\/\/\ lol 1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's co

Good little film on the construction of this tower, BBC London:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12584721

I have to say, I'm liking the progress so far...

When I saw the Orbit progress at the Olympic park on Thursday, for the first Time I got a really feeling of Oh my god the Olympics are actually happening in London.

It very exciting.

Getting close isn't it? I think I properly got that feeling last week when it was announced the torch would be travelling along the Thames. We're getting the smaller details coming out now, rather than just construction milestones..it feels like things are ramping up.

• 3 months later...

So do we expect 'The Orbit' to also be the Olympic Cauldron in 2012? I seem to remember it being denied but I can't help but think it probably will be. Have I missed anything?

Wow!! Heatherwick's designs are quite stunning. I like his work. Now the thing is to work with Boyle's team so they get a lighting scenario to work with a unique cauldron. I hope they don't go the Atlanta way and just create some difficult to access cauldron & leave it at that.

BTW, his studio is currently looking for a modelmaker.

It read like that in the London 2012 press release:

"Danny Boyle – Artistic Director of the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony – has appointed award-winning designer Thomas Heatherwick to design the Olympic Cauldron for the Games."

http://www.london2012.com/news/2011/02/top-british-talent-sign-up-to-produce-london-2012-closin.php

Edited by RobH
  • 1 month later...

Dare I even say this but I am slightly happier about 'The Orbit' after having seen a recent pic of the construction. I think the change of staircase colour has really added something. Still think it's a wasted oppurtunity to do something much more inspiring and meaningful though. Worryingly, I am starting to like it though.

Orbit.jpg

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

I still don't like the Tower very much (for me it always looked like a Rollercoaster failed project) however i'm glad the project is advancing.

And the new staircase color is better than the previous one

Dare I even say this but I am slightly happier about 'The Orbit' after having seen a recent pic of the construction. I think the change of staircase colour has really added something. Still think it's a wasted oppurtunity to do something much more inspiring and meaningful though.

Orbit.jpg

They will use it as a giant cauldron !!!

They have already flatly denied it will contain the cauldron. I guess there would be a health and safety issue considering people will be climbing up it. Not sure though - I suppose it is possible.

Dare I even say this but I am slightly happier about 'The Orbit' after having seen a recent pic of the construction. I think the change of staircase colour has really added something. Still think it's a wasted oppurtunity to do something much more inspiring and meaningful though. Worryingly, I am starting to like it though.

Maybe you should wait until you see the complete thing. You might change your mind then. ;) I for my part am still very sceptical about the Orbit, to say the least.