Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

daveypodmore

I think it would cost much less to collide all the cranes currently at the Olympic Park, and the effect would be the same.

By the way, I overlooked this comment. Bloody hilarious! :lol:

It’s a very industrial area,

Doesn't mean that you have to continue that pattern till the end of time. They also plant trees in the Olympic Park and not oil rigs.

I don't know TowerBridge Fox personally, but from his favoring this monstrosity (I think it will destroy that whole Olympic park complex) to strange possibilities for the OC, I think he's some sort of odd duck. :(

I like it - it would be a bland world if we all liked the same things! Myles - I think it's a bit extreme to say it will destroy the whole Olympic Park - but it's your opinion so I can't change that. However most of you have not been to the Olympic Park - so it is hard to see the structure in relation to it's environment. I live down the road - have visited the park twice and (for what it is worth) think it will finish off the park in quite a spectacular and unconventional way. London is very unconventional - the area of the Olympic park is post industrial - it's a good fit.

Now as to the aesthetics - well it is something very different and not to everyones taste - just as a lot of buildings are when they are built! It's happening - so let's see what the finished product looks like - I hope most of you get the chance to see it in person in 2012! Perhaps we could have a Games Bid convention @ the top!!

I absolutely hate it. I can see nothing remotely artistic in it at all. I would have loved something similar to Angel of the North. A more poignant/spiritual sculpture for the Olympic Park. This red wreck just looks ugly and random.

Having said all this I do not believe it will spoil the whole Olympic Park. I believe the beauty of the park will make it look better than it actually is. if they would have plonked that sculpture in the middle of somewhere less beautiful then it would look hideously bad. However, I think the saving grace is that it is being placed somewhere where it will be able to draw on it's surrounding(if you can see what I mean0. That doesn't mean I like it!

I just keep thinking what we could have had for that money.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

I don't know TowerBridge Fox personally, but from his favoring this monstrosity (I think it will destroy that whole Olympic park complex) to strange possibilities for the OC, I think he's some sort of odd duck. :(

What would have wrecked the Olympic park were the planes for high rise housing after the games, that’s been scaled back now thankfully. I’m not a fan of towers generally but the Orbit tower is a one off sculpture and will be the most individual and original structure iv seen built in London.

What would have wrecked the Olympic park were the planes for high rise housing after the games, that’s been scaled back now thankfully.

In scaling back the more dense developments, we've lost a sizeable chunk of parkland where the basketball arena is and behind the handball arena if I remember correctly. The amount of parkland post-2012 will actually be smaller than the original masterplan as a result of the change to low-rise.

So, you're right, park visitors won't have views of new high-rise buildings from the park (why that would be a problem in an urban park I really don't know). But, on the other hand, there'll be less parkland not to see these high-rises from. :P

Edited by RobH

In scaling back the more dense developments, we've lost a sizeable chunk of parkland where the basketball arena is and behind the handball arena if I remember correctly. The amount of parkland post-2012 will actually be smaller than the original masterplan as a result of the change to low-rise.

So, you're right, park visitors won't have views of new high-rise buildings from the park (why that would be a problem in an urban park I really don't know). But, on the other hand, there'll be less parkland not to see these high-rises from. :P

In my experience grassy areas around high rise tower blocks tend to be a dead zone, no one over used it.

And the buildings block the light.

The orbit tower will allow light to pass thought its light weight structure.

I'm not really convinced parkland by high-rises on the edge of the Olympic Park would have been a dead-zone. It's not like a random bit of grass surrounding a towerblock in Glasgow with nothing else going for it; it's the edge of the Olympic Park and there'll be thousands of visitors anyway.

I agree with your point about the Orbit though. Whilst I'm still very nervous about it, I do think the real thing will be airier and let through more light than the renders show.

Edited by RobH

The Tower Bridge Fox thinks the Shard is ugly so I wouldn't take his aesthetic judgment on the Orbit too seriously.

Excuse me I’ve never said I think the shard of glass is ugly.

Don’t miss quote people like that!!!!

I said it’s a good design , but it will have the same dull corporate glass finish as every other tower block in London , and im sceptical about the reasons for building it and its location.

Yeah, because it was conceived under a Labour Government. Let's be honest here, if the Orbit was conceived by anyone other than Boris Johnson you'd be just as horrified about a 'tall building in isolation' and 'sceptical about the reasons for building' it.

Yeah, because it was conceived under a Labour Government. Let's be honest here, if the Orbit was conceived by anyone other than Boris Johnson you'd be just as horrified about a 'tall building in isolation' and 'sceptical about the reasons for building' it.

DarJoLe I’m going to try not to be rude to you and it may be difficult but,

Your comments are completely ridiculous

I don’t base my likes and dislikes on politics.

You twat, woops was I rude.

DarJoLe Im going to try not to be rude to you and it may be difficult but,

Your comments are completely ridiculous

I dont base my likes and dislikes on politics.

You twat, woops was I rude.

See Tower, this is the kind of dialogue this design (i.e., bad feng shui) engenders.

If it were a more peaceful design (i.e., based on good feng shui principles), people's reactions to it would be more harmonious, less combative.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

As long as this doesn't distract Boris from making the Park work as a whole I love it! Completely nuts, fits in with sporting legacy (it looks like a decent workout!), won't look too unwieldy. Also should make some money. Yeah, looks mad enough that it might just work. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

With the confirmation that the Orbit won't be the cauldron tower (much to my relief) I think we can now see the Orbit as a barmy equivilent of Beijing's pagoda now - a role it's much better suited to. The comparison's quite neat actually, what with thw waterways, and the aquatics centre sitting opposite the stadium like the Birds Nest and Watercube do:

2911615335_f404bacce9.jpg

1676954_South%20plaza%206.10.10.jpg

Still nervous about this structure, but am very willing to be won round...

Edited by RobH

I think I prefer the Orbit to the Pagoda here. The only thing I believe that makes the Orbit look a tad vulgar is the untidy loop on the top. The bottom half innocently shows a smoothly rising vertical tower surrounded by random loops giving it an elegant touch. :lol:

I visited the Olympic Park today and I have to say the Orbit Sculpture is looking stunning already it really sets the whole park of and its only about quarter of the way up .

amazing

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5473896281_a8220051ed_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/5474493384_31d986bb5c_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5018/5474493904_03583dce3c_b.jpg