Sign in to follow this  
daveypodmore

Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

The sculpture isn’t a statue of Boris,

When Ken Livingston was the Mayor I came across much the same reaction to Olympic projects .The Olympics aren’t actually owned by by either of these people, and this sculpture will have been chosen by a panel,

It will be built right in front of the Visitor centre. so it will be very exciting.

It could be very exciting, it could be a complete mess. Too much is being left to chance and whimsy.

And Boris does own this project, insofar as it's possible to own any project as a Mayor of a city; much, much more so than Livingstone "owns" the Olympic project (it took a lot of persausion to get Livingstone to back the idea of an Olympic bid). The tower was mostly Boris' idea, he's been the one pushing it through, he was the one who got ArcelorMittal on board to provide the materials and the funding together etc. etc. That's all great and he seems to have done well considering the short time span involved. If it goes well he's got a fantastic project which he made happen, and no doubt you will be praising Boris for it and for his foresight.

But the project's got to a stage where it has hit a major snag. Any other project in this situation would go back to the drawing board. But rather than being sensible and getting the designs done properly he's pushing it all through regardless. This is where the project stinks of being a vanity project rather than having the interest of the area at its heart. If he was interested in good design and architecture there'd be no way he'd let it go through planning in its current state. I'm sorry, but I'm going to watch this go up with trepidation; you don't know it'll be alright and neither does Boris.

I'd much rather this was done properly and sold as a legacy of the Games, built post-2012 to represent the rebirth of the Olympic Park, than done in time for the Olympics in a rush with a mess as the end result; something which is a distinct possibility given the severe concerns CABE had. :angry:

Edited by RobH

the Orbit tower will be close to the entrance to the park and is a really important creative statement we cant afford to delay

If the Olympic Stadium or Aquatic Centre was given permission without any indication of sewage pipes, lift mechanisms if it had it or how it integrates into the landscape, would you support it just to make a really important statement?

The stadium and aquatic centre have both been re-designed several times as they were in the bid from the outset,

Some people clearly aren’t sure they like the design of the Orbit tower, which is fine as I’m sure when its built they will see how it makes the park,

But the CABE comments were just the usual sort of thing they say,

Nothing to become hysterical about.

The stadium and aquatic centre have both been re-designed several times as they were in the bid from the outset,

Yes, and the redesigns of the stadium and aquatics centre were approved by CABE! This hasn't been. Neither the stadium nor the aquatics centre had "we think the design is not yet resolved in sufficient detail to receive planning approval" written about them. They got CABE approval and made any minor changes CABE suggested with minimum fuss. Boris' tower hasn't got approval and not a word has been said regarding the list of potential problems which were pointed out. Chalk and cheese. I see no evidence to suggest this is "just the usual sort of thing CABE says" given that it's not been said about any other Olympic project.

Even if it were "just the usual sort of thing CABE says" it takes on greater importance with this project...

If this was an office block or even an arena or concert hall, a few utility pipes and lifts being shoehorned on the side would be unforunate but not necessarily the end of the world. But this is an artwork; the effect of shoehorned utility pipes and lifts could completely devestate its entire aesthetic. It astounds me that this doesn't worry you given that you're one of the people here who likes the design and, surely therefore, someone who wouldn't want to see it ruined by such things.

Edited by RobH

I’m sure the pips can follow the contours of the sculpture , which was been revised anyway since we saw the first visualisation, as the viewing platform was to be smaller.

Some times you just have to do things on the hoof.

It doast mean the end outcome will be bad.

I went to the visitor centre again today , and it seems they have started work on the Orbit tower/sculpture

Digging the foundations.

Also although Olympic park is ahead of schedule, I’m becoming concerned about the wider lee valley park project, as there is little sign of improvement (and that’s being generous) out side the Olympic park area, I hope the wider lee valley park aspect can be finished for 2012.

Hmm

to at least to a partial extent what I said above may be a load of BowLocks , which is where I went today,(don’t you just love London Place names),

Bow Locks and Three mile Island is a short canal walk from the Olympic stadium ,

Where to canals meet at a Heritage area not just 17th cent mill buildings but green spaces,

There were volunteers there e working on the canal path planting things,

However to get there from the Olympic stadium you have to follow the right canal as one of them vanishes

Under a motorway and has no tow path to walk along , and the other canal which does have a tow path also goes under a very busy read with no evidence of any work in progress to create a connecting walkway ,

Also the Victorian Gas holders which will be a visitor attraction in 2012 showed no sign of work in progress to create this.

Before 2012 there will be a massive amount of work to do making all the interesting areas along the canal in the lea valley connect .

I will post images on a difrent thread.

Also any one visiting the visitor centre to see the orbit tower being built, I can recommend the very attractive walk down the canal from the other side of high street to three mills island and Bow Locks , I cant recommend however trying to walk all the way to lea mouth as the path isn’t there yet, I had to walk on the road(literally) for part of the way. To get to Lea mouth Trinity Buoy Wharf you go to the East India docklands light railway station, walk to the river side promenade and turn left.

1.jpg

A spiralling sculpture designed by Turner Prize-winning artist Anish Kapoor has been chosen as the monument to mark the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The 115m tall piece, named the ArcelorMittal Orbit, will be placed in the Olympic Park and will be 22m higher than New York's Statue of Liberty.

The £19.1m design incorporates the five Olympic rings and will offer visitors panoramic views of London.

So this is the Olympic monument of London 2012? Oh... dear. :blink:

I think it would cost much less to collide all the cranes currently at the Olympic Park, and the effect would be the same.

• Like 1

I never posted on this thread before but i can say with pride, and withouth wanting to offend those who likes it, that i hate this tower and its ugly design a lot.

They should have used the money to make the stadium Wrap instead of this abomination.

I have to say, the latest render has made me warm to it somewhat (though I'm rather concerned it won't look like the render in the end given CABE's alarming concerns).

And I too would rather have the wrap than this Tower given the choice during Games time. But I'm afraid it's not that simple. The idea for a Tower is a "Boris Brainwave" and is privately funded by a steel magnate. It's not part of the ODA's masterplan (or at least it wasn't). For obvious reasons, the man funding it is not going to switch his money from a giant steel sculpture to a fabric wrap.

Edited by RobH

How exciting ,the first signs of the structure starting to rise, the renderings are very flat looking ,

when people see it in full size perspectiveI think it will look incredible, and really make the Olympic park.

The middle part of Atlanta's flame tower monument reminds me abit of the london tower design

tumblr_leb7mgEks71qd31me.jpg

The middle part of Atlanta's flame tower monument reminds me abit of the london tower design

tumblr_leb7mgEks71qd31me.jpg

Is that what it looks like today? But there's nothing on there that's from that original ugly tower. And that post is in midtown, still quite a ways from the stadium area.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Is that what it looks like today? But there's nothing on there that's from that original ugly tower. And that post is in midtown, still quite a ways from the stadium area.

That Atlanta tower is the most bizarrely tasteless thing Iv ever seen

not like the orbit tower at all.

not like the orbit tower at all.

Actually, it's less offensive than that Orbit Tower. It will be the ugliest thing since that hotel in PyongYang.

Im certainly not the biggest fan of the orbit, but that tower in Atlanta is really bad. Horses for courses I suppose. Im off to the Olympic park this weekend so Im hoping to get some progress snaps.

That Atlanta tower is wretched but at least it was built some 15 years ago. We're building that Kapoor monstrosity right now. What on earth are we thinking? Someone stop them now for goodness sake.

From the latest renders I've warmed to it more (for a start they've toned down the red quite a lot), but I'm still very nervous about how it will look.

There'll be no middle ground with this; it's either going to be brilliant or a train wreck. I'm still completely unsure which it'll be.

It ISN'T as bad as that Atlanta tower though.

Sign in to follow this