Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You seem confused, and seem to have got yourself into a muddle. I've already said in another post I take your dislike of this as being sincere and completely valid, even though I don't share it. A sha

The problem is, I just can't take you seriously Rob. You have hardly shown yourself to be impartial, when it comes to anything London related. Of course, you are from London, naturally you defend your

/\/\/\/\/\ lol 1. People are allowed to dislike this tower. You're not the thought-police.You may think you are but you're not. You're just an angry wee man with internet rage over someone else's co

Hmmmm. I just realised. It looks like what I'd like to do to a vuvuzela.

:lol: Maybe Seb Coe & CODA will have other ideas about it.

It's just UGLY as hell. Makes Atlanta's oil-derrick look like an ethereal piece.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • 4 weeks later...

There was an article in the Times today saying a second steel magnet, Ratan Tata, was in talks to build his own tower in the city of London.

A 360 ft arch designed by Fernando Donis situated in Aldgate as a marker for the last leg of the Olympic torch. The arch ressembles a croquet hoop apparently and has a glass platform that raises to give views across London.

http://www.dezeen.com/2010/07/26/london-gate-by-donis/

Edited by daveypodmore

There was an article in the Times today saying a second steel magnet, Ratan Tata, was in talks to build his own tower in the city of London.

A 360 ft arch designed by Fernando Donis situated in Aldgate as a marker for the last leg of the Olympic torch. The arch ressembles a croquet hoop apparently and has a glass platform that raises to give views across London.

http://www.dezeen.com/2010/07/26/london-gate-by-donis/

This is getting ridiculous. London doesn't need all these giant observation towers. The Boris tower is ugly, gross. It is also unneeded, as is this latest proposal. London has the London Eye. That is enough.

P.S. quit letting these egotistical Indians go nuts with your skyline. If they want to build sh#t like this, let them do it it Delhi!

Get a backbone London!

This is getting ridiculous. London doesn't need all these giant observation towers. The Boris tower is ugly, gross. It is also unneeded, as is this latest proposal. London has the London Eye. That is enough.

P.S. quit letting these egotistical Indians go nuts with your skyline. If they want to build sh#t like this, let them do it it Delhi!

Get a backbone London!

Question - are you a Londoner? Do you live in London? Have you ever visited London? Am not sure you are any of these - so quit making sweeping generalisations about a huge and vey complex urban organism and the city I have lived in for eons and yes it needs more **** like this!

Question - are you a Londoner? Do you live in London? Have you ever visited London? Am not sure you are any of these - so quit making sweeping generalisations about a huge and vey complex urban organism and the city I have lived in for eons and yes it needs more **** like this!

Yes, I've been to London. No London doesn't need garbage like this. You're already going to uglify your Olympic Park with sh#t. Isn't that enough?

I don't see what this adds to the City. It's just a weird white rectangle which stands out like a sore thumb. Don't like it at all I'm afraid.

Boris' Tower, although I have severe reservations about how it will balance against the cauldron tower, at least adds intruigue and height to a low-rise part of the City and will keep people coming to the Olympic Park post-2012. It's a talking point, almost following in the English tradition of the Folly in its ridiculousness, and although I know many don't like it it is at least interesting.

This, by contrast, is benign, boring and is being placed in an area which simply doesn't need it.

-----

If you think it looks silly in the photo in the article next to the much taller Gherkin, imagine how silly it'll look next to this magnificent tower, which will a part of the City skyline in 2012:

bgate_towerair.jpg

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, I'd have less of a problem were it hidden behind other things on the skyline and only came into view as you got close to it. It could be quite good then. You turn a corner and suddenly see this towering gate. I don't like it at all on the skyline though. That's my biggest problem with these "goalposts".

Edited by RobH

Yes, I've been to London. No London doesn't need garbage like this. You're already going to uglify your Olympic Park with sh#t. Isn't that enough?

That is just your opinion - but please don't lecture about a city you don't know!

That is just your opinion - but please don't lecture about a city you don't know!

I think I'll say whatever I damn well please. The idea that London "needs" garbage like the Kapoor tower, and this latest blemish, from another ego inflated Indian is your opinion as well.

That image of the croquet hoop is the most unflattering visualisation of any competition winning design I have ever seen,

I have to agree with ether comment how many viewing platforms does London need,

It is temporary and could be fun.

I do Like the Orbit Tower in the Olympic park and I think it will really make the park a tourist attraction after the games,

As for the helter shelter pictures above , it’s a good design for a tall building , but I have serous reservations, about skyscrapers in central London, for every good one how many bad ones will we get, before it reaches critical mass, I think buildings like that should be built at cannary wharf. Or Crydon

Which I do believe it what Boris would do if he had the power to move the building given permission before he became Mayor.

Back to the Orbit Tower I love it.

If it was built at south Kensington for example people would say it was an eye sore but its minimalist design and height would be a contrast to the surrounding area, so at least it would have an effect,

So close to the city it makes no statement at all,

It does however raise the issue of what do we do with (how shall I put it) the less attractive parts of London along the marathon route,

I think we should consecrate on the street level cleaning and pointing adding attractive street furniture.

Rother than this pointless gesture.

I do like the orbit tower though.

In the Olympic park.

Cabe says Kapoor's Olympic Orbit needs more design work

9 August 2010 | By David Rogers

Anish Kapoor’s Olympic Orbit could be “severely compromised” without detailed design work being carried out before it goes for planning, a Cabe design review panel has claimed. Cabe also pointed out that the Olympic Cauldron, which will hold the Olympic flame during the games, was likely to be sited nearby, beside the main Olympic stadium, which at a height of up to 150m, could overshadow the 114m-tall Orbit.

A decision on the final planning application is due to be made by the Olympic Delivery Authority on August 24.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/cabe-says-kapoors-olympic-orbit-needs-more-design-work/5004024.article

• Like 1

Cabe says Kapoor's Olympic Orbit needs more design work

9 August 2010 | By David Rogers

Anish Kapoor’s Olympic Orbit could be “severely compromised” without detailed design work being carried out before it goes for planning, a Cabe design review panel has claimed. Cabe also pointed out that the Olympic Cauldron, which will hold the Olympic flame during the games, was likely to be sited nearby, beside the main Olympic stadium, which at a height of up to 150m, could overshadow the 114m-tall Orbit.

A decision on the final planning application is due to be made by the Olympic Delivery Authority on August 24.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/cabe-says-kapoors-olympic-orbit-needs-more-design-work/5004024.article

Finally a proof that the cauldron will be an external structure outside the stadium.

It suddenly seems to me that there will be quite a few structure competing for limelights in the vicinity eg. kapoors tower, main stadium, cauldron and the LAC!

Even if they use orbit tower for cauldron doesnt seem like a bad idea at all, at least public can get up close and personal with it..

If anything, Boris/Kapoor's tower is forcing Boyle and Company to start thinking about Lighting schemes right now rather than later because the Orbital may present a complementary or a contradictory option for whatever they have planned at the moment....which I don't think they do.

CABE has it spot on. The balance between this and the cauldron tower is the biggest problem with this, as I've said all along. Aesthetically, I've actually warmed to the Orbit - especially after seeing those non-descript goalposts planned for the City - but the problem is the balance. And if practical considerations for the viewing tower/restaurant have yet to be worked out then there's a lot more thought needing to go into it.

Get this planned and designed properly, don't rush it through. If necessary build it after the Olympics have left town (which will have the added bonus of giving the Olympic Park a second-wind in terms of visitors). The worst thing would be for it to be rushed, compromise the cauldron tower and Olympic flame, and look rubbish because its artistic integrity has been compromised by piping etc.

Boris take heed.

The only architecture cabe like are glass boxes, I really don’t think its any of there business where the Olympic cauldron is.

If the cauldron tower is taller than the Orbit tower that would make sense to me

I don’t see any problem. And it must be built before the Olympics

The comments about the piping are I would imagine the sort of issue that most construction projects deal with before they go ahead , no reason for a delay.

Also I imagine the cauldron tower will be more slender and simpler,

And the two will look good together.

Have you read the full review? It's utterly scathing; I've read a few of these CABE reviews and I've never read one with as little confidence in the DETAIL of a project as this. Too little thought has gone into this for my liking. If it's going to be built it has to be built properly and if that means it's not done in time for 2012, so be it.

Link

Simply dismissing CABE as only liking glass boxes is ridiculous. They've reviewed every other project on the Olympic Park (none of them glass boxes), and all were pretty positive reviews with only minor recommendations. None of them contained the sentence "we think the design is not yet resolved in sufficient detail to receive planning approval". That says it all.

Back to the drawing board. Big gesture from Boris lacking detail and thought - surprise, surprise. You can't just build something because you like the look of it if it has this many practical failings Bojo!