Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

Mr Tickle

Funny you should say that, because I read this a few days ago:

Balmond recalls: "Someone from the mayor's office said to me, 'Do you know the budget?' And I didn't. She said it was around £25m. And I thought, 'Oh Christ!' Because what we had I knew would cost £50m to £80m. So straight away we brought it down to as low as we could go and still get a good sightline into the stadium: 115 metres." ...

Kapoor observes the Orbit is very much of its political moment: "The basic premise was to do everything you promised for about half the money,"

http://www.guardian....it-anish-kapoor

I think this project has been value engineered to a huge extent. The problem I have with it isn't its weirdness or its ugliness or its confusing aesthetic - all of which could have been successful - but the fact that the metal cages surrounding the staircases look horrible, the viewing platform doesn't look great, the lift-shaft isn't well hidden, the membrabe barely covers anything (reducing its Kapoorness). It looks cheap and now we know that it was.

I don't think tripling the budget would've made that thing any more attractive. I'm glad somebody saw got to cut the losses and cap the budget. I still think there are SO MANY better way to spend 25 million -- which is still a huge sum. It could've done much more good.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, I think with better execution this could've looked good - glass barriers around the stairs rather than the conspicuous metal-mesh, a more "light" looking viewing platform, more of the shiny mebrane which has been cut short, a bit more height as originally envisaged etc. Just make the whole thing a lot tighter and smater.

And sure, there are better ways to spend 20-odd million, but the vast bulk of that is from Mittal, not public money, so there are no "losses" as such. He's spent a small fraction of his vast wealth on a sculpture for London which is great, but it's also of course to 'advertise' his steel. I wonder if the richest man in Britain is wishing he'd put a bit more towards it now he's seen the final outcome?

Glass barriers around the stairs noooooo.

I love that view looking up at it.

Its like a climbing plant growing up twisting and exploring ,looking for the light. With the viewing platform opening out like a flower at the top.

I wonder if it will have a revolving interior like the post office tower

And I wonder what will be inside a coffee shop a wine bar a restaurant or souvenir shop

Or all.

More importantly I wonder if James bond will be running up the spiral staircase.in the new film.

It's just a big old mess, I try to like it but I can't.

I guess you could say the same about Boris! B)

ArcelorMittal’s $36.6 Million Tower Inaugurated in Olympic Park

The ArcelorMittal Orbit is taller than Big Ben and the Statue of Liberty and twice as high as Nelson’s column in London’s Trafalgar Square. Like an oil rig twisting around itself, it is a spiraling 114.5-meter (377 foot) lattice of tubular steel.

iLw19Rl5FiFQ.jpg

Mayor of London Boris Johnson persuaded ArcelorMittal to contribute as much as 19.6 million pounds toward the cost of the tower, which before the 2012 London Olympic Games, which run from July 27 to Aug. 12. The Orbit will have a two-level space at the top with a restaurant and a viewing gallery, to which high-speed lifts will take as many as 700 visitors an hour.

“This 114.5-meter attraction to trump rivals the world over is a calling card for investment in east London,” Mayor Johnson said, describing the Orbit as “a symbol of prosperity and growth.”

http://www.bloomberg...ympic-park.html

I enjoy the spectacle of the structure, however, it looks unfinished. To me, the observation platform almost looks like it has been formed together by those temporary huts you find as extra classrooms in schools...or maybe just the one I went to ;)

I have one question though, why is the trumpet, that we are well accustomed with Kapoor's work, in orange rather than the red we normally see?

Otherwise, I do enjoy her.

When I am in London in July and I see it at night all lit up, I am sure it will look good. But from all the pictures I have seen during the day I can't say that I like it all. Personally I think it distracts against Olympic Stadium and it does not blend in well with its surroundings.

£15 for an unspoilt view of the skyline sounds like a bargain to me ;)

I've read and heard a few reports today. “The beauty of radio is that you can’t see it” was one critic's point of view. And Kapoor seems unhappy with the ticket prices. Those who've been up it though seemed to enjoy the experience from the reports I've heard. By the sounds of it it works much better as a viewing tower than a sculptural work of art.

It looked great on the news today ,I see it most days from where I live, and its very uplifting.

I agree with what one of the critics said that seeing it in real life is a completely difrent experince to a photograph.

One issue though.Selling tickets for the Orbit that don’t admit you to the Olympic park is nuts though,

The real price is going to be £25 at least.

I dont mind much about the red twisting design, thought it's at least unique. I just wished they put more thoughts and design into the observation pod and the spiral staircase. They just look under-designed and out of place

Likewise, but after over an hour of trying I did manage to get tickets for the Orbit for the evening of the men's 100m final between 9.30pm - 10.pm. It looks as though we should be able to get some good views of the track so I'm trying to convince myself that I was effectively buying two tickets to the men's 100m final for £36.

Really nice picture by the way, Fox.

Likewise, but after over an hour of trying I did manage to get tickets for the Orbit for the evening of the men's 100m final between 9.30pm - 10.pm. It looks as though we should be able to get some good views of the track so I'm trying to convince myself that I was effectively buying two tickets to the men's 100m final for £36.

Really nice picture by the way, Fox.

That's actually quite clever, sneaky but clever!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived