Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

Mr Tickle

I think it'll look 1000 times better in the flesh. Scaled up to life size it won't look so fiddly and messy; I think it'll look airier in real life than in the pictures.

My concern is how it'll look opposite the cauldron tower or, if that idea's been scrapped, whether the flame will be dwarfed by it in 2012. I hope it doesn't overwhelm what ought to be the most important thing in the Olympic Park in the two weeks of the Olympics.

I mean, this thing is HUGE. It's all very well looking at pictures of it like this because it's an overhead view:

1.jpg

But if the stadium looks like this from ground level, imagine what this sculpture is going to look like! :o

4476368498_af93ec24ea_b.jpg

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble is...it's even too...what's the word? spasmodic...form-wise to sell as compact souvenirs. I mean the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Blbd., Rio's Christ the Redeemer...even the Leaning Tower of Pisa...all have that easy linearity that makes for compact stacking and sales as scale-model/tourist souvenirs. And you have the small-time merchants trying to move this...globby thing as souvenirs? :blink: I wouldn't want a copy of that thing sitting on my shelf with my other souvenirs. I fear many souvenir merchants are going to take a bath with that.

Architectural renderings always look better that the real thing.

I agree. If MO weren't on leave, he would say the same thing. In renderings, you can stretch and bend the perspectives...but not in real-life views. That thing is just UGLY...follows no known aesthetic shape. And they're going to have a platform overlooking the stadium during the Games? Wait until LOCOG and the IOC realize that people with cameras who didn't buy tickets have free viewing access to events inside the stadium from the observation deck...and they're going to raise a stink.

Im sure it will grow on me, Ive realised why it disturbs me though. In that red colour it reminds me of someones intestines. Sorry but it does. Im looking forward to going up it though. I think its just so different thats the problem. People hated the Angel of the North when that was first shown, now the nation loves it.

Im sure it will grow on me, Ive realised why it disturbs me though. In that red colour it reminds me of someones intestines. Sorry but it does. Im looking forward to going up it though. I think its just so different thats the problem. People hated the Angel of the North when that was first shown, now the nation loves it.

Did they?

God yes

From an article I found on its anniversary

Of course there had been objections to it before it was completed. A lot of objections. Much of the reporting at the time in the local press was hostile (one of the juicier headlines in the Gateshead Post being ‘Nazi…But Nice?’ in reference to the alleged similarities between Gormley’s creation and a sculpture that was built in 1930’s Germany to celebrate the Luftwaffe); letters pages overflowed with angry comments; radio phone-in shows had their switchboards jammed as people queued up to declare that the money would be ‘better spent on a hospital’; and some councillor’s were quick to strike a disapproving tone.

Too big, too expensive, its always the way

I'd love to say I am shocked and surprised, but I'm honestly not. You just knew this monument was going to be hideous from the get-go.

While the logo has grown on me, this thing most definitely won't. A mangled piece of junk is what the Olympic park is getting, which completely blights what is turning out to be an attractive looking park. Wasted opportunity, once again!

That thing is just UGLY...follows no known aesthetic shape.

I agree, it's a monstrosity! It defies belief how this was selected.... UH!

LOL - I would have never compared it with the Tour Eiffel...

I would actually. In fact, as soon as I saw ... it ... I already thought the French would joke that Les Rosbifs were trying to recreate the Eiffel Tower - and it melted! Sacre bleu!

Maybe it's just a April 1 joke?

C'mon Boris, funny one. Show us the real tower now.

It's not only ugly, it's fu**ing ugly. It makes even the hideous first design, the pylon, look beautiful.

I think Boris Johnson said it best (albeit in a different context): It's a huge inverted pyramid of piffle -- and I honestly hope they rather shove this up his rear instead of really building it.

Maybe there will be an Indian flag on top of the tower. The designer, engineer and steel manufacturer are all of Indian/ Pakistani origin hehe.

Maybe there will be an Indian flag on top of the tower. The designer, engineer and steel manufacturer are all of Indian/ Sri Lankan origin hehe.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't right in the heart of the games - it would probably look slightly better if it could be seen in the distance from the Olympic Stadium rather than right next to it.

I share concerns about the Cauldron too - would have been much better the money used to finance a cauldron tower which would have a lasting legacy as a high rise viewing platform, not that one is needed in that part of London.

I'm willing to give it a chance. I don't love it but I don't hate it. I'm reserving judgement until it's built, partly because I think life size it'll look less busy, more airy and more impressive, and partly because I think this artist is very capable of pulling something stunning out of the bag.

My only real concern at the moment is how it looks opposite the Olympic flame. I'd have no problems with this if it was to be built after 2012, but I'm nervous about it at the moment.

Archived