Boris's Tower On The Olympic Park

Mr Tickle

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not a fan either. I think it looks hideous.

Something more sculptural would be more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Here's a sculpture Santiago Calatrava designed for Barcelona 1992:

700-torre-calatrava.jpg

Or even a giant land sculpture:

Here's something I think would look cool in the park:

Sculpture by Zaha Hadid:

ZH-AVF-3.jpg

I think it’s a great Idea, I do think they should use it as the cauldron though.

The coloured bit is indeed temporary. But that was exactly my point. If the tower's going there, it can't be built for the Games, because that's where the bridge is going!

very good point - maybe that is just a mock up and not where it is going to be finally positioned? god only knows! Maybe it will all be announced on 1000 days to go?

It's ugly and megalomaniac beyond words. I really hope that this awful mayor refrains from these plans. It would really harm the good impression the venue concept of London 2012 has left so far. And by the way: We're in the midst of a severe financial crisis which (as I understand) hit Great Britain particularly heavily. How come that politicians still mean to pour money down the drain for such completely useless and overblown stuff? And it shall "rival the Eiffel Tower" -- hello??? :blink:

It's ugly and megalomaniac beyond words. I really hope that this awful mayor refrains from these plans. It would really harm the good impression the venue concept of London 2012 has left so far. And by the way: We're in the midst of a severe financial crisis which (as I understand) hit Great Britain particularly heavily. How come that politicians still mean to pour money down the drain for such completely useless and overblown stuff?

It'll be 100% privately funded by one wealthy individual as I understand it. The cost isn't the issue so much as

1. The fact the the designs we've seen are fugly.

2. If built for the Games it'll take away from the impact of London's cauldron tower.

Lets be honest about it this particular design is total crape.

A tall sculpture like the skylon is a good idea though , I’m sure the final design will be very good.

Lets be honest about it,this particular design is total crap.

A tall sculpture like the skylon is a good idea though , I’m sure the final design will be very good.

It'll be 100% privately funded by one wealthy individual as I understand it. The cost isn't the issue so much as

1. The fact the the designs we've seen are fugly.

2. If built for the Games it'll take away from the impact of London's cauldron tower.

I think we are second guessing a lot here:

1) why is this the only design that has been released/leaked? It suggests to me that this isn't the design that Paul Fryer is putting forward? Why has Gormley and Kapoor's design not been leaked? Has the visual been mocked up by a newspaper?

2) we don't yet know where the tower/sculpture will go?

3) we don't know whether this sculpture/tower will be the cauldron tower? they did something similar to this at the asian games in doha - from what i remember.

the pylon is not my favourite - if this is what it is going to be - but i guess we shall have to wait till saturday or whenever? either way i am sure that this will have already been factored into the overall plan.

i for one hope they do build a monumental sculpture as - otherwise this will be an architecturally mediocre flat-pack version of the olympics (and no i don't mean we should have gone down the way beijing did - rather more the way of barcelona).

i for one hope they do build a monumental sculpture as - otherwise this will be an architecturally mediocre flat-pack version of the olympics (and no i don't mean we should have gone down the way beijing did - rather more the way of barcelona).

I like the idea of a monumental sculpture too.

However, I don't think it has to be built to substitute for a flat pack games but just as a commemorative monument in it's own right.

Good mornin'...whatever the final design will be... I thought you might like my new signature...certainly the book cover is FAR better than that...thing, no? :)

Yeah, I noticed your new ignature. Congratulations!

P.S. Am I getting a mention in the references section or was that all baloney?

Yeah, I noticed your new ignature. Congratulations!

P.S. Am I getting a mention in the references section or was that all baloney?

I'm a man of my word. U got a mention...or 2. ;)

As other GB'ders who have contributed and have been great soul-mates in this sphere and endeavor, are similarly credited or mentioned.

Archived